I am just curious to know if any of you who have animals in the house while you're not home have a plan in case there is a fire? My in-laws lost their dog a few years ago when nobody was home and there was a house fire. The firemen found him underneath the bed, took him outside and he was actually given oxygen by the ambulance crew (at the time they hadn't been able to contact in-laws and weren't sure if they were inside so there was an ambulance waiting) and then he was transported to the vet in the ambulance, sirens and all. He was being treated at the vet for about a week afterwards, the ambulance officers visited him daily and even raised money for his vet costs, but unfortunately he passed away from lung damage. The fire was caused by a faulty power-board that was only new, it's something that could happen to anyone.
I've been really worried ever since about leaving my animals inside while I'm not home in case something like this happens, I understand that they have a higher chance of escaping or getting stollen if left outside but it's still something that worries me. The dogs are always kept in the garage when we're not home so I imagine that it would be the last part of the house to burn - downstairs and brick exterior and concrete floors whereas upstairs is weatherboard exterior and hardwood floors. I worry about the cats though, they're kept upstairs and strictly indoors so there are no cat flaps, open windows etc for them to escape from.
When we were in Canada, we were in a little pet boutique and they had signs that you attach near your front door that said "in case of emergency, please rescue ___ dogs and ___ cats" I thought it was a really good idea but we didn't buy it.
Thankfully we have wonderful neighbours who know how many pets we have and would definitely investigate if they heard the smoke alarm (and not assume that I'm a bad cook).
Has anyone else thought about what would happen if there was a fire?