Thread: Buying a pup from a breeder far away to introduce to my 7yr dog.

Default Buying a pup from a breeder far away to introduce to my 7yr dog.

Hello all, I have a gorgeous 7yr old Springer and want to get another so we've approached her breeder, who is a plane flight away, about a pup. I'm getting a little nervous though. Our reasoning for getting the pup now was that the older dog won't be too old to tolerate a pup and that the pup can learn by watching the older dog. We are not going to be able to choose the puppy, but that said, we weren't able to choose the 7yr old either; the breeder chose for us and that worked out beautifully.

What I want to know is how best to ensure that this situation works for all concerned. What information do I need to give the breeder? Do I tell her anything about the 7yr old's personality or do I just leave it in her capable and experienced hands?

I fully understand that many of you will say "you have to go and choose the puppy and take your dog...". Bear in mind that if we were able to do that, we would, but it is simply not possible from this distance, so please only positive and helpful comments.

welcome Persephone

I'm sure your breeder would have some good advice for you. She or he must have dealt with this situation many times before. Please ask them for advice as well as us.

You already know what kind of dog comes from this breeder - so that's a start.

There's a good chance the puppy will recognise the older dog as one of the family - my dog thinks that all farm herding dog breeds are her family and friendly. Hopefully your older dog will allow your puppy a "puppy licence" but it will be up to you to keep them both safe and limit the amount of harassment the puppy can give the older dog.

If it was me - I'd have two crates set up somewhere - and I'd crate train the older dog now if it isn't already and I'd ask the breeder to crate train the younger one - it's going to need it for the plane ride anyway.

And then the older dog can have the crate as its safe place - same with the younger dog and their separate crate. And when you need to do stuff that requires the dogs out from under your feet - like cooking pasta in boiling water - then you can put the puppy in its crate and shut the door. Mine would get a chew or a bit of carrot or something which she'd ignore in favour of screaming at me but it's all part of the learning process.

If you can introduce the dogs first on neutral territory eg the nearest park from the airport might be good, that may also help.

Don't scold either dog for growling but do limit their interaction if one or the other tells you they've had enough. You need growlings and good body language reading skills as warnings before things escalate to teeth. So don't punish these, protect both dogs and gently enforce good polite behaviour - reward the puppy for backing off when your older dog acts stressed. Reward your older dog for playful interactions with the puppy.

PS a friend just posted a link to this article on introducing new dogs...
    Introducing a new dog and socializing - Whole dog Journal
    Last edited by Hyacinth; 03-02-2014 at 04:55 PM.

Thanks Hyacinth; for the welcome and the advice. The link on socializing was good too, although I'll keep searching for one specific to puppies. I liked the tip on remaining calm so you communicate that to the dogs. Sometimes the obvious needs to be spelt out! I've contacted the breeder and I'm sure I'll hear from her when she can come up for air; think she's a little busy at the moment. Undoubtedly a litter of puppies has to take precedence over email.

If anyone has any references for me that would be great. I picked up Cesar Milan but I don't think he's for me, in spite of some good ideas.

For introducing a new dog to the home - I like ruff love by Susan Garrett - a book. I don't follow it religiously but it's great for tips and trouble shooting.

I met a couple out with their rescue kelpie they've had for less than a month - and they've been letting it run wild on our local park - with zero control or recall. Oops. Ruff love provides the helpful suggestion (wish I'd known when I got my dog) not to let the dog off lead in a park with other dogs etc for about the first month.

Take your puppy out, but keep it on lead. Practice relationship building games (recall games) at home and on lead - until the dog / puppy has a good understanding of where the good things in its life now come from (ie you) and some idea of what its name is and what it's job is ie when you say "Dog, C'mon" your dog comes back to you.

There are lots of links in various threads in here about puppy raising. I guess 7 years is plenty of time to forget the impact a puppy has on shoes, underwear, dog beds etc.

Hi 'Persephone' and a belated to the forum ! Hope you enjoy being a member here !

Some things I really can’t do without – when bringing a new puppy home:

Child gates:

Compost bin – I have 2 sets – so easy to set up a playpen for a pup – inside or out:

Compost Bin Storage Cage I/N 3160000 | Bunnings Warehouse

Or – you can buy playpens for pups:

Here are some links covering ‘new puppy and an older dog’:

Victoria Stilwell - View topic - Introducing new puppy to existing dog

What to Expect: Introducing a Puppy to Your Adult Dogs | Karen Pryor Clicker Training

How to Socialize an Older Dog with a New Puppy - YouTube

Some more covering everything else:

Free downloads | Dog Star Daily

Knowledge Base | Steve Courtney Dog Training

kikopup - YouTube

There you are ! Hope the above helps and Good Luck !

Nrth QLD

We introduced a very full on purebred cattle pup to our old 10yr cattle family dog. They were complete opposites, the old dog would lay around , and the pup would annoy her wanting to play.
    She did from time to time, but when she had enough she would simply growl or snap and the pup knew.She would then learn to go play by her self or lay down as well. My advice would be to let them work each other out but watch closely so neither gets hurt.
    You want the pup to look up the your older dog and learn off it. So allowing it to be the boss is a great start. Just remember your the boss of both. Hope that helps.

Thread Information