Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jumping the Fence and Going Wandering

Default Jumping the Fence and Going Wandering

Hi guys,

I am new to this Forum and this is my first post so hopefully it is in the right place, if not I am sorry!

I have 2 German Shepherds, one is 14 yrs old (family dog) and one is 2yrs old ( my dog)

We live on property 20 acrs, and the 14 yr old is obsessed with going wandering, we have tried everything but in the end that is just who she is. The problem is she took my 2yr old with her a few times and now the 2 yr old has started going on her own if the other dog is locked up. She has only done it twice but I want to nip it in the bud before she starts doing it all the time. The problem is I can't catch how she is doing it because it is only when I am at work, I can leave all the gates open if I am home and she wont leave.

They have a pen and are in that when no one is home but if they can't live in there and if mum is home she lets them out separately in the backyard....

I know prevention is the key but there is only so much you can do to fix your backyard and ours is pretty sturdy so it is not an easy task for her. She is well trained and understands when she has done the wrong thing but I don't think she knows that getting out is naughty and I don't know how to teach her in a constructive way that you stay here until I say so.

Apart from squirting her in the act which is hard when I am not at home how else can I teach her she isn't aloud out when I am not home?

I am not looking for negative feedback, I just simply want one or two of those brilliant ideas that might just work for me.

Thanks!

Hi 'GermanShep' and to the forum !

A comment first:

Sorry - dogs don’t do guilty at all – so best to forget about that idea ! Dogs react to our voice pitch and body language.

So something for you to try: Use these words – ‘What have you done’ – firstly - in a really low grumpy voice – then - the same words in a happy voice ! What did your dog/s do in both of these examples ?

A couple of questions:

What sort of fencing do you have ? Are the dogs getting out of the yard when people are home or only if everyone are out ? How big is the yard where you keep your dogs ?

Now a couple of suggestions for you - via the following links:

How can I stop my dog jumping the fence and running away? - RSPCA Australia knowledgebase

http://www.dogforum.com.au/general-d...ws-please.html

http://www.dogforum.com.au/general-d...umper-try.html

Good Luck and I hope that you will enjoy being a member of this forum !

P.S. Would love to see some photos of your pups !
    Attachment 13196
    Last edited by RileyJ; 02-19-2014 at 06:41 PM.

Oops !
    Last edited by RileyJ; 02-19-2014 at 04:47 PM.

Mine are wanderers. We are on a farm and there are sheep nearby. We have fenced in a big area just with star posts and a 6ft wire mesh that is a reverse L shape on the inside with dirt over it so they won't dig out. We have kept it a bit wobbly to disuade any climbing. This has kept 4 blue heeler crosses secure for over 2 years and is easily removable should we ever sell.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Di_dee1; 02-19-2014 at 05:25 PM.

Any posts made under the name of Di_dee1 one can be used by anyone as I do not give a rats.

welcome to the forum Germanshep
    I would create a dog pound area. And have your dogs secured in that.
    A determined GSD can scale a tennis court fence i can tell you. It does need to be a reversed L shape to be affective.
    Or
    consider electric fencing?

This idea is an oldie but a goodie. Seems to be doing the rounds on Facebook a lot at the moment. (As far as I know) its actually an old method to help stop cats getting in your yard.
    http://thehomesteadsurvival.com/wp-c...99-500x375.jpg

Old fashioned chain? fully enclosed run?

Some other ideas Peace in the Yard: 7 Ways To Dog Proof Your Fence | notes from a dog walker I like the "redundant fence" idea (very similar to a run)

I wrote this lovely reply then deleted it of course!

Riley to answer your questions

We have a 1 acre backyard split into 2, half for the dogs half for the pool etc. Within their 1/2 acre they have a secure run they can not get out of that they are locked in when no one is home made out of cyclone fencing. Our normal fences around the 1 acre is farm fencing dun into the round so its sturdy but not super high.My 2 yr old has only gone on her own twice and it is when I am at work (not sure how) she hasn't gone when I have been home, only when mum is home so that's why she wasn't in her run.

I am going to look into that L shape idea Di_dee1 and see how much it would cost to do 1/2 -3/4 of an acre. If that isn't feasible I will look into the containment system. My problem with them is because I am on property how do I teach them when it is okay to go outside the fence with me?

I will have a look at all the links you guys have sent thanks, I did some research yesterday and I am thinking containment system could be a good option but I am not sure how much it will cost to do an whole acre!

Thanks for your replies I will try and add a photo soon!!

I have an "air lock" going into the pen for when they are boisterous or someone else is here feeding them, two gates. That feeds into the enclosed back yard with access to the house.
    They are told to sit and stay as I go though or ok, come on. That shouldn't be hard to manage with them knowing when it is ok to go out or not. They are only shut into their 90mtr circumference pen. auto gravity fed water (shady trees and a garden shed with their beds) when we are away on holidays or kids are here.

I used to throw treats, run to get to the gate first to close it. lol

Any posts made under the name of Di_dee1 one can be used by anyone as I do not give a rats.

I can't remember how much the rolls of mesh and star posts were. Will ask hubby when he comes in. I think we had some star posts here on farm already too

Rang him as I would forget. The 6ft mesh was from a steel place and was over $200 per roll, he can't remember if it was 30 or 50mtrs in the roll.

Thread Information