After a lot of consideration, and a couple of broken bones in my feet, ive decided to rehome Brian. This has been a hard decision, to 'give up' so to speak, but i think the right one.
Im sharing this story, honestly, humbly, with my tail between my legs as it were. I rescued Brian from a awful life, he arrived malnourished, scabby and bald in patches with yeast infection, staph infection, no training what so ever.
7 months later, and he's a totally different dog. Healthy, happy and a right loon! Obedient, recalls nicely most of the time!, loves other dogs and people. He does however, break bones in my feet from lunging suddenly toward his targets; a stick, another dog to play with, or just sheer madness jumps me occasionally in excitement puppy antics. We've had my daughter over from uk with baby of 8 months, he's great with the baby. Figured out real fast, sitting underneath the highchair was his place, to catch the showers of dropped food. And he trained the baby to feed him this way within a couple of days.
Put simply, i took on more than i can handle. Brian making the 3rd dog in our family. Ive had to admit, i am not strong enough, to handle 3 dogs that are strong large breeds, once Brian decides he's off, he takes off, drags me along, injuring me often. In my 50's, i am no longer bouncing when decked. I look like some domestic violence victim, covered in bruises most of the time. That's ok, but ive run out of sick leave for my foot, and not getting paid whilst off sick, is financially not viable for me. Ive gone back to work this week, with my foot like a football with swelling, wearing long trousers to hide my injury so i dont get sent home by management.
So for past month, ive been sporting my 2nd broken foot bone from his antics, and a swollen painful shoulder, that is getting yanked around and this hinders my care of all of them. I have nobody else to exercise them, so im hobbling around the paddock, trying to tire them some, and doing mainly mental stimulation for them. And not enjoying the experience at all.
I began to think of admitting defeat, but have remained ambivalent for a few weeks. Just in the back of my mind to pull the plug. I have met a couple through my son, who have a 1yr old desexed female Bordeaux already, looking for a 2nd. They have a small farm of cattle and horses, and so a dog that is desensitized to these, fits there requirements. Brian seems pretty bomb proof around livestock having been living here.
The couple's bordeaux also has allergies and requires the more expensive raw grain free diet. So that was his downfall, which they accept.
Today is the 'meet up' of the 2 dogs for the first time, to see how they react to each other. Im totally confident that Brian will not be aggro toward the other dog, but keen to ensure the other dog is fine with Brian. Dont want him bullied at his new home.
Another large dog he can rough n tumble with would be great, as both of mine are on moderation management, i cant allow this sort of play here, as whilst pohm (rottie x bordeaux) would love to wrestle all day, her busted CL says not. (she's had the replacement knee op, but it busted again, so supposed to be 'retired'.)
Im feeling so sad, to say goodbye to him. Disappointed that i couldnt make this work. And guilty, as ive never rehomed a dog of mine. Its not a nice day today.
We've been for a nice long bike ride, as i cant walk on my foot at the moment. He's so good, following me on the bike these days. As its the only run he's getting currently. Ive been very up front with this couple, about his silly antics of lunging to go play/investigate whatever scent he's picked up. Advised them about how wind escalates this 'stupid' playful Brian that can injure folks in his clumsiness. They are still keen to try him.
I was unsure what to do about selling him? I dont want anything for him, a good home is what im after, not money. But from being on here, knew that 'free' dogs can be taken by the wrong sort of folks for the wrong reasons. So when the couple first spoke to me, i pretended i was selling him. Now i know them, im sure they are dog lovers, and not looking for a fashion statement/fighting dog or any other horror scenario, ive advised he is free, then worried that perhaps i shouldnt of told them this, as it might make them more keen than they actually were? Id never forgive myself if he ended up in a bad home.
Sometimes in life, we have to make hard decisions. This is one of those times. There is a large part of Brian lover in me, that wants to keep him at any cost.... but there is another sane me, that realises this new home, is a good alternative for Brian. Where he'll have a friend he can rough up, acreage, and a loving family awaits. And without him treading on my foot, yanking my shoulder, i will heal to walk my 2 once more.
10am, is meet n greet on neutral ground, local towns oval. From the emailed pictures of his new female companion ive been sent, she's very relaxed with other dogs around her. Fingers crossed this works well for Brian. Whilst ive done all i can to ensure this is a good home, you never really know. How the hell do breeders do this with their pups? Its worrying the crap outta me with one to rehome.