Thread: Puppy biting feet

Default Puppy biting feet

My new staffy has been with us about 2 weeks and she is about 10 weeks old. She has gained a habit of biting peoples feet (she thinks it's a game or play.) It's not constant but she does it a lot. Any tips on how to stop it. Tried the ouch method, the spray bottle with water and several other methods. Help please! D:

melbourne australia

more of what you did, lots lots more, repeat, repeat, repeat, till it sinks in.
    Ouch or Aggg! sound
    redirect to chew toy and engage pup in playing with the 'toy'

Work on that consistently.
    down the road a bit, add in, foot biting stops play immediately, for 5 minutes. Then go back to it

they hurt with those razor teeth! carma police will pop around to yours, and take those teeth off it, around 16 weeks of age. The biting dies down considerably by then, if your putting in the hard yards now.

Thanks for the advice I will definitely keep working on it

This is what worked on my brother's staffy...

It was accidental ... it's slightly toxic...

I put rid on my toes to stop the mozzies. It also stopped the dog. The stuff tastes foul. It's also poisonous...

So you could try something that tastes or smells bad on your toes. You can get stuff called "crib stop" from equestrian supplies - which is designed to stop some horses from chewing on their stables or you could try vicks vapour rub - smells and tastes bad. Dencorub, tiger balm and maybe rapigel would have the same effect. They've all got menthol in them. Again - if the dog eats the stuff all at once - bad for dog. But a taste of it - should be ok.

I found most of my puppy's teeth with my feet. Embedded in the carpet or floor. We played a bit of tug with rope toys - that sorted a few of them. You need to be gentle about it - because getting your teeth ripped out that way can hurt.

I also played the push my hand (or toes) in gently towards the back of the dog's throat. Stops the wood chipper chomping that you get when the dog tries to catch and hold your exciting fleeing hand. If you push gently - the dog will stop chomping and start trying to spit you out - which doesn't hurt as much. Hold for a second and then let the dog spit you out, hold your hand really still - so you don't invite regripping or more play - hold that for 10 seconds or long enough for puppy to notice, if puppy has backed off at this point, good dog and praise - but move slowly and offer something else to grab hold of.

with excessive ankle biting - mine went in the crate if I couldn't get her to chew something more appropriate. Just so I could cook dinner or wash up with out having my feet chewed off.

Rural Western Australia

I just tell mine no. I will prevent them physically, leash or what ever. I am gentle but firm and consistant, and they soon get the message. I am also training them with shaping games, and playing with them and building a training relationship with them, so the occassional reprimand doesnt bother them at all and they soon get the idea of what I dont want. I just dont tolerate innapropriate behaviour that involves teeth on skin right from the beginning. I dont and never will redirect them as I want them to understand that no means no. I work my dogs on livestock so this is a very important concept. Even if I didnt, it is still an important concept.
    Last edited by Kalacreek; 01-21-2014 at 03:07 PM.

Thread Information