Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Possible worms? *photo attached*

Oscar schnauzer

if you're giving the wormer that also covers heart worm - you might not want to give it every 2 days.

The way wormers are usually used - is not *after* you see them but on a regular basis before you see them - so their numbers are kept low and problems are *prevented*. It may be that you do need a stronger or more frequent dose if there are lots of worms already present.

At this point - I'd be asking your vet for more advice. the excelpet website does not list the active ingredients for their wormers so I can't google the info.

It does help to vary what chemical you use for parasite treatments from time to time - eg something different each year maybe - as they can build up resistance. But with worms - it's mostly about keeping the numbers down. Then again - I've never seen a worm in my dog's poo and I do check - especially the pink ones. The closest we get is long bits of grass or dog fur.

Toowoomba, QLD

This photo was on a vet forum a few months ago. Someone's client sent them this photo.. Her dog was up to date with vaccinations and heart worm injections but she was using a supermarket wormer to 'prevent' worms

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy.Maree View Post

This photo was on a vet forum a few months ago. Someone's client sent them this photo.. Her dog was up to date with vaccinations and heart worm injections but she was using a supermarket wormer to 'prevent' worms
    That is impressive ! Have pulled a few things from out of the back end of pups over the years - but nothing like that ! Usually it is just grass - definitely no worms !

It's not got anything to do with "supermarket", or otherwise where a product is available.

Some varieties of parasites become resistant to certain chemicals over time. So what you need to do is rotate what you use.

Regardless of where you buy it, check and record the "active constituent". And next time you worm, use a product with a different active.

If you have used one product you have done nothing wrong. Resistance happens. Find another product, that has a different active, and you should break the parasite and resistance cycle.

I aways change up the brand of all wormer I give my pets and try to remember to worm all humans at the same time. If I can I try to get slightly different active ingredients too. Here's why;

I grew up in the country - owned horses, cows occasionally, was always surrounded by cattle, sheep, chooks .... so on as well as 2-3 dogs and cats. Everyone was on a strict drenching schedule. Mum stocked up, with what ever she needed and and it was always on sale. Form a conga line - get de-wormed. Horses were put into a quarantine yard and drenched as they came onto the property, we (the kids) were taught to check poo and identify worms. Everyone else - just as I have said was wormed on schedule.

So one day it was my turn to do the riding horses - nothing out of the norm. No one new in the yards etc etc. I do the rounds and my gelding spits a huge glob of what ever he was getting on the ground - Nunny - the blue cattle dog bitch races in and gobbles up a good whack of it before I can stop her and I don't think too much more of it. I was young - probably 14 or 15 at the time - too young to drive. School holidays, at home on my own.

So about an hour later I head off to do something else and realise Nun isn't here. Odd. I go looking for her to find her basically passed out, unable to move her rear quarters, foaming at the mouth. I call my mum - who's over an hour away - she says she'll be home when she can and to call the vet. I call the vet. He's in an emergency and can't come to me. I bundle her up into an old sheet and consider driving to her in the paddock basher but I'm a chicken, too scared to break the law and too scared t drive on the main road (coal trucks). I call the neighbour - he can't come.

She's OK. She's not great but alive and alert. She is bloody smelly.

*warning - gets a bit graphic here*

So mum gets home - we whizz off to the vet - into the clinic - on the table - off with the sheet - only to reveal the most horrendous, stinky withering mass of disgusting excrement I have ever seen. The vet vomits while yelling to "get that S**t out of the room". She was treated and home the next day. She made a full recovery and never looked healthier - her coat came up full and rich, she was in the best condition of her life after that.

Turns out dogs shouldn't get into horse wormer, from the way I remember the vet said it was the bot killer in the paste which did it. I've just done a google and there are a few links saying a few things. I can't remember a brand (as I said- it was what ever was cheapest for the horses).

The moral of the story is - we were strict with our worming and it still didn't stop our pets from having them. We never went back to the brand we were using on the dogs at that stage and still to this day I change the brand up every time I need to buy a new packet. That would be my recommendation to you too. Swap up brands and active ingredients when you can. Look at natural ways to support the elimination of worms (in addition to medicines) and good luck

Thread Information