Thread: Do females stop coming in heat?

Default Do females stop coming in heat?

I was always under the impression that bitches do not stop coming into heat as they get older like humans do. However, Dodge is turning 9 this year and she hasn't come in heat for at least a year and a half. Don't get me wrong, its great not having her come in heat - no blood, no risk of pregnancy and a happy dog
    But it does confuse me a bit, is there someone on here that understands this topic better and can explain to me what is supposed to happen as a bitch ages?

'maddogdodge' - you are correct - female dogs continue to come into heat all through their lives. The timing between heats can change as they get older - so can the amount of discharge.

So it could be that her heats have been missed ?

Pyometra can also be a problem is older bitches.

Are you able to talk to your vet about all of this ?

Thanks Riley
    I'll check with the vet about it next time i'm in there, but my suspicion is that she's just missed some. She is not showing any other symptoms of Pyometra, and otherwise seems perfectly normal, so my guess is that her hormones have gone weird and she's just missed a few lol.

'maddogdodge' - Did you get to talk to your vet about all of this ?

Some references for you !

The following 2 books are what I call ‘bibles for canine reproduction’:

The Dog Breeder's Guide to Successful Breeding and Health Management, 1e: Margaret V. Root Kustritz DVM PhD DACT: 9781416031390: Books

Canine Reproduction: Phyllis A Holst, MS, DVM: 9781577791140: Books

Don't buy them – but if you can get them from a library – they would be helpful for your question/s.

Another link:

Margaret V. Root Kustritz, DVM, PhD, DACT

Thread Information