Thread: Introducing a puppy

Talking Introducing a puppy

We are adopting a Labrador puppy in a few weeks being the first puppy for our family I would like some tips on introducing the puppy to Firstly our cat (my biggest concern) and secondly our 2 kids 3 and 6. Also the best food and and frequency on feeding our new puppy who would be 8 weeks. Thanks

Have you been out to meet this puppy yet? And its parents?

When my family bought an Australian Terrier from an ANKC breeder - we all went out and visited the mum and the litter and played with all the puppies. I don't think we chose one specifically - apart from we wanted a female - and we ended up with the runt - who needed hip surgery fairly young - sigh. But we did love her dearly as best a mob of inconsiderate teenagers can.

Most rescues including the RSPCA expect the whole family - including the cat - to go out and meet any prospective adoptees. The cat is going to sulk - guaranteed. You need to provide it a safe place to be that the puppy can't access and supervise all time together until the puppy learns to leave the cat alone, and the cat also learns to leave the puppy alone or at least be polite to each other. (google "cat sleeping on dog").

The breeder should supply you with info about food and feeding. You can also sign up your puppy to puppy pre-school - often run by your local vet for puppies under 4 months old - and they will give you lots of info about feeding. If you do decide to change from the food recommended by the breeder - you need to do it gradually - not all at once.

A good breeder (or rescue) will provide you with a puppy information pack that will also include details about vaccinations required - there's usually boosters required for an 8 week old puppy, and training, and feeding and other health things like dealing with fleas and worms including heart worm. And depending where you live - other fun things like paralysis ticks, cane toads, snakes, snail bait...

There's heaps of info on puppy raising here
    RSPCA Australia knowledgebase / Puppies

and here
    Free downloads | Dog Star Daily

Is your cat confident, shy, quiet, outgoing etc? The cat's demeanour and experience with dogs will effect how your introductions go.

Again with the kids, do they have any experience around dogs? Have they met pup yet? And are they naturally active, quiet, boisterous, gentle etc?

Your pup's breeder should tell you what pup is currently eating. If you want to change you should do so gradually, over about two weeks - to avoid tummy upsets.

Do you have a preference for what to feed? Ie, dry food, raw meat, etc?

We are meeting the pups and picking him out this weekend. Our kids have had experience with puppies and older dogs at there gran's house as has the cat. The cat is very inquisitive when meeting a new dog has chased a puppy and swiped at it I know it's going to take a while and a lot of patience to get them to co exist.

Looking for ideas for night time at the moment do I crate the puppy and place it next to me a taking it out every few hours and let the cat roam. Or do I place the puppy in the bathroom and still get up every few hours for toileting.

With the feeding I will ask the owner on the weekend what food she feeds and how often. I have read on the Internet that dry food is best and I will proberly cook up some quality pet meat and rice and veggies there is also a recommendation for yoghurt has anyone given there puppy yoghurt before. Thanks for the info

Most pups at that age would usually still need 3 meals a day, I think. But do whatever the breeder does indeed, at first. There's no real need to cook the meat or veggies for the pup. I swear by raw mince and Vets All Natural supplement (which they have for puppies too) and occasionally some chicken necks for my dogs. There's plenty of different views on what to feed dogs and lots of dogs thrive on all sorts of different diets.

I would definitely go for crate next to the bed instead of bathroom. He's only a baby so I would go easy on him with leaving him alone after just being separated from his litter. You'll probably get more sleep in between toilet breaks when he can see and hear you are closeby. If you can get your hand on a cheap heated bed, that might help settle pup those first nights too.

I would one or more baby gates to manage the pup and cat at first. The cat will be able to jump over it but the pup can't. It's also helpful in getting them used to eachother as they can still see eachother through it.

When I first got my puppy - I tried the crate in the laundry and she screamed... and I caved...

So she slept next to my bed in a box with old towels (cos puppies eat beds), with a lead on her that went under me - so if when she got up, she woke me up. I also set the alarm for two times in between bed time and breakfast - to take her out for toileting. Act boring and take her back in afterwards. Did that for the first two weeks - no night time accidents that way.

She still sleeps in a dog bed next to my bed. She sometimes prefers the couch or crate in the lounge room but mostly moves back to the place next to my bed - which is fine by me. She doesn't like sleeping on my bed when I'm in it because I wriggle too much, and she ends up on the floor.

Can't help much with the cat - except I'd probably let the house trained cat roam and confine the puppy for as long as you need. I also put my puppy in a crate if I had to go out - eg shopping or work. That way she couldn't destroy furniture and other stuff.

It does really help to train puppy that crates are good places to be eg give her a carrot to chew on in the crate while you're making dinner and don't need puppy help. Feed puppy in crate.

Thread Information