Thread: Question about giving raw bones

Default Question about giving raw bones

I'd like to switch over to feeding RAW and I've already started giving my pup offal/organs etc, but I'm a bit confused as to whether "feeding raw meaty bones" means that your dog actually chews up and EATS the bones, or if you're supposed to just let them gnaw on them to get as much meat off and then throw away the bones... ? She already eats chicken necks but it's a bit difficult to visualise her actually eating any of those lamb/beef/pork bones, I can't imagine her jaws are that strong?! Sorry for the extremely basic question.

Also, could you please give me some suggestions of bones that would be suitable for a whippet? I don't know anything about meat/bones/animal body parts. Thanks in advance

You want to be careful where you get these if you're feeding raw. Make sure you get them from a butcher and don't tell him it's for your dog. It's for your dad maybe (older people often like offal because everybody ate it way back when).

I don't feed my dog any bones because they get stuck, she makes pieces of them and they get stuck.

I've heard/read that it's a good idea to avoid weight bearing bones of any critter because those are the ones that shatter into sharp shards and splinters - and result in painful 3am wake up demands by the dog who doesn't quite make it outside in time to eject the bone and the rest of her stomach contents (digested or not from either end).

Grossed you out enough? She doesn't get bones from me any more.

So someone suggested brisket bones or the soft bones from the edges of the rib cage. Some one else suggested (lamb/beef) neck bones, but I know those splinter.

What does she get instead.
    Dried roo jerky
    cow hoof

And some recommend deer antler but I'm scared that stuff is so hard it will break her teeth. It does depend a bit on how the dog chews it.

Southern Highlands NSW

I used to be a BARF feeder (Bones and Raw Foods). The bones I fed included:

fish heads (yep, I used to buy them at the supermarket...usually barramundi heads...this was in the NT), neck bones from various species (chicken, lamb, beef, pork, turkey), wings (chicken, turkey), spine and/or tail (roo, beef), beef brisket, chicken frames.

Most dogs will grind up all types of bone...they do in the wild so why not in the backyard? Their jaws and teeth are built for this purpose. Deer antler bones are also fine...

The only reason I no longer feed this way is money. I simply can't afford a natural diet any more as I'm on a pension. It's a great way to feed when you get the balance right - offal must be human grade unless you're comfortable with "green tripe" and I never was so didn't bother with it. My veg/fruit slop was legendary...I'd throw in whatever fruit and veg I had, more veg than fruit, and to balance out the meal, I would add plain yoghurt every few days. I also added LSA mix every so often, cod liver oil or fish oil capsules daily, and garlic flakes at least weekly (or make the veg/fruits slop with garlic included). Just remember NO onion, no kernels from stone fruit such as apricots, and no avocado or grapes.

I feed my dogs chicken necks, wings and frames which they are able to eat completely as they are soft.

They also get osso bucco which is just the shin bone of either veal or beef. They eat the meat off this then lick the marrow out of the centre of the bone. The bone is too hard for them to chew through.

When i cut up y-bone or t-bone at work the first cut and last cut i take off i keep for my dogs. They can eat most of the bone of these but some of it seems a bit hard for them.

I some times feed brisket bones but only the soft ones that come from the outside of the rib cage as as they get closer to the spine they get harder and i find they splinter.

I don't feed lamb ribs or pork ribs because i find they splinter too.

I feed them a beef neck bone at every meal but they are a very tough bone and i get them cut about 3 inches long so they can't swallow them.They pick as much meat off them as they can and keeps them amused for quite a while but they don't eat them completely.

I do however always sit outside with my dogs while they're eating their meal as i enjoy the time to relax and i can keep an eye on them so they don't choke on anything.
    If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them. ~Phil Pastoret

Rural NSW

Dogs and bones are made for each other...except when they aren't.
    I have always had the opposite experience with them than Hya despite them being similar types.
    The only way you will know is to do so under supervision a while.

Any posts made under the name of Di_dee1 one can be used by anyone as I do not give a rats.

Brisbane, Australia

I feed Gracie a raw diet and she's all the better for it - she is fed organic kibble every now and again
    There's not any bones in her food that you speak of, aside from the chicken necks which aren't a problem
    When I'm home from work I can give you a few links you should read before doing so
    If you're going to feed raw you need to make sure you're not missing out on vital ingredients that may cause deficiencies and more problems in the long run

I occasionally give her a bone, she's never had a problem with them but I tend to give her rawhide bones or a boneless eye fillet instead which she loves just as much

I struggled with this when we first got Gracie. There's two very strongly opinionated sides to the argument, much like positive reinforcement vs. pack leader/dominance
    My advice would be to try it. If it works better for you and your dog... go for it!

If your pup is only small then things like chicken necks are fine. Is your pup in your avatar photo? Is she a whippet? If she is she will happily tackle chicken wings as well, and chicken frames - but you might want to get a cleaver and cut them into three or four bits. Lamb flaps are good too, they will have some rib in them.

She will likely surprise you with what bones she can crunch her way through...

Sorry about the late reply, and thank you everyone for all the great advice! Hyacinth esp I really appreciate the advice re: telling the butcher it's for my dad... I'd never even have thought of that. Very street smart!

So far I bought some chicken frames and roo tails - she absolutely loves the roo tail pieces. (haven't tried the chicken frames yet)

Nattylou yes that's her, she's indeed a whippet I met someone at the recent pet expo who said she feeds her greyhound an entire chicken frame, I think I'd better take your advice and chop them up for her haha as she's a bit smaller than a grey!

I also started feeding her once a day in the evening as she never seemed interested in breakfast. She used to have such a sensitive stomach (normal poo in the morning, soft poo in evening no matter what I fed her) but since I switched to once a day feeding (start with the raw bone, then some kibble, and either a little raw egg or some sort of fish and/or yogurt) her poos have never looked better (lol) and also, although it may have had something to do with teething, her breath smells sooooo much better.

Thank you everyone for all the info, I'm still shopping around for the perfect butcher but now I feel a lot more confident on what stuff I should/shouldn't be looking for. Sky thanks you!

Thread Information