Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello Dog Lovers

Rural NSW

Totally agree with SM that the solar repellers are useless. I have 8 of them strategically placed but yep, no good.

Any posts made under the name of Di_dee1 one can be used by anyone as I do not give a rats.

I wouldn't use a shock collar. Not only because I believe it is an inhumane and inappropriate method of training dogs. But also because I can just imagine many dogs getting a shock from the collar when faced with a snake, and then trying to attack the snake out of fear
    I say positive reinforcement training all the way. None of my dogs have ever gone after a snake. I doubt Koda has met one but if he did while i'm around, he would return to me instantly as soon as i call him. I reckon Dodge would have met a snake by now with all the tracking she does through the long grass and under scrap metal etc. But as far as i'm aware she hasn't bothered them. We had a family friends dog staying with us once, and we awoke one morning to find him lying on the ground, unable to move and struggling to breathe. It was a snake bite, and in the end he didn't make it. That dog was not trained well or with positive reinforcement for that matter.

Good training makes the difference.

How you get the job done is a personal choice but if it saves the dogs life or 1000s of $s at the vet

then it's all good.

Personally, I think if the shock collar is used properly it isn't inhumane, but I know opinions differ on this very emotive topic.

Thread Information