Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Soundproofing???

hmmm... I inherited two dogs...a mother and a son. They were dreadful controlling little horrors. We tried, after a year of misery, to palm them off, together because they had always been. They were sent back as horrid. Then one day we were walking them and a person we knew said he would take one.

Since then they have both been charming little dogs. AS LONG AS THEY ARE ARE ALONE WITH AN OWNER and not in a shared household. Seriously. 90-95% less barking, fighting, walk aggression They were truly horrible and the guy who took the male was appalled at his behaviour when his Mom showed up). It would seem that they are just highly competitive, either by nature or nurture, and this shows in attacks on any other dogs in the family (our resident girl regularly beat up these guys who would start a fight.... only she was 5X bigger.).

Interestingly, both dogs are FAR worse, if we interact with them and our girl plays. She is a noisy player (sometimes upsets other owners and I have to reassure) and often this triggers REAL aggression from the two little guys. Competitive again. Triggered aggression. Again. Environmental aggression. Separate. No guilt. It just happens.

So. Maybe try the troubled girl in a house with no other dogs. Do not feel guilty about letting go. We had to.
    Nick Peg n Benny (or is it Peg n Benny n Nick?)

(nTess, forever in my heart)

That's amazing the difference separating them made!

I am lucky I have managed to make a lot of progress with mine when I am around. It's just when I leave this one dog. The vet actually told us she might not get much better - that's just the way she is. Today I had to go out for an hour so I gave her a kong with biscuits and yoghurt (seriously it was almost good enough for me to eat) and tossed it in her crate in my bedroom. She ran in after it and started munching away. I put a towel over the top and left the other dogs in the kitchen with the recorder.

I got back about an hour and a half latter and could just barely hear her yapping in the crate. BTW I did take her collar off before I left because I heard about a dog that strangled itself when it flipped out in a crate. She does sleep in her crate willingly at night and view it as a "safe" place. Anyway - there was barely any noise (4 mins or so) from the dogs in the kitchen.

My little girl in the crate however probably started yapping as soon as she cleaned out her kong But is this really so bad if she is only barking and not really otherwise anxious (so long as nobody can really hear her)??? I wouldn't leave her in the crate if I expected to be longer than around 3 hours. The other thing I wonder about is water in a crate. There isn't really much room in there and I would worry about a bowl getting spilled all over the bedding. Would those bottles that they sell for rats and mice be ok?
    Last edited by Hyacinth; 08-30-2013 at 02:31 PM. Reason: put spaces between the paras

You can get non-tip dog water bowls or special bowls for inside crates.

Stainless Steel Cage Coop CUP Bird CAT DOG Puppy Crate Food Water Bowl W Hanger | eBay

You need to have at least 500ml available for a dog if you're going to leave it a long time.

My dog won't drink anything I leave in the crate. I mostly use an enamel camping mug or an icecream carton with the mug inside. But she's very calm in the crate these days.

Thanks that's a good suggestion. I noticed today when I got home she was just barking (not howling or whining) and was ok when she walked out of the crate. As soon as she heard the gate open she stopped. That's the thing - I think she just likes barking but knows not to do it when I'm around. I catch the train so she waits awhile after I go to make sure I am out of the way, and stops the minute she knows I'm home. Since it seems to be more her personality rather than anxiety (she used to be anxious but isn't really anymore. She is happy to sleep in another room when I am home, doesn't destroy things etc)

is it ok to use a mild punishment (such as tapping on the side of the house with a lump of wood) to communicate the message that barking when I am out of sight is wrong??? We had a behaviourist out when we first adopted her and she used to bark like she was trapped in a burning building the second I stepped outside and shut the door (we've moved on a lot from that) and I was told under no circumstances to punish her when she was like that.
    Last edited by Hyacinth; 08-30-2013 at 05:02 PM.

is it ok to use a mild punishment
    I wouldn't. Got reminded of that today when my dog tried to eat a snack without permission (I wanted her to do a retrieve first). I said "Boo" and scared her, and she jumped into her water bowl - water everywhere for me to clean up. Serves me right really.

But I would try going out the gate... waiting a minute, then opening and closing the gate again. And I'd practice that a few times going out and coming back in. Just make it a tiny bit harder for your dog to know when you're not home.

Of course - my dog carries on a lot more when I am home than when I'm not. Because she knows there's a chance I will let her out of the house or crate when I am home. And I think she generally expresses her upset about being separated from me. Tho it's ok with her if she's the one who does the separating (and thinks she knows where I am).

Thread Information