Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Vegetarian Diet

Brisbane, Qld

With Sean on this one.
    To be perfectly blunt, you're a fool if you're a vegan. Take a look at our teeth - they were meant to chew meat, fruits, vegetables, seeds, etc. We are omnivorous. To deny that for whatever ridiculous scruples people have about eating 'the flesh of a once living animal, man!' (pass the bong) is obviously a step in the opposite direction. Not only that but every vegan I've met has been pasty-looking, ill-looking. We can't survive on that sort of nothing-diet while still being healthy without taking loads of supplements.

To try and force that on your dog is even more disgusting and pathetic. A dog is a meat-based omnivore. Look at their teeth. Canines for snapping through spinal cords, pairs of organic shears at the back for slicing through meat, yet not quite as carnivorous as a cat's, say. To try and go against not only your own but your dog's (which has no say in the matter) natural biology is pretty bad, to put it mildly.

No offence meant to the OP, of course. Your friend probably just needs a bit of a wakeup. A dog is not a toy or doll to follow our every whim, let alone a vegan diet. They're not built that way (and, frankly, neither are we).

Rural Western Australia

I have a good friend who is a vegan and she is not crazy at all. She is fit, healthy and athletic. I have to say that I couldnt eat meat for years, after my course at uni involved cutting up formalin preserved chooks week after week and killing rats and putting their inards through the blender and we had to cut sheeps throats to kill them. I smelt decaying chook and formalin for years everytime I smelt chook cooking LOL and had images of cutting sheeps throats when I smelt lamb. I eat meat only very occassionally now and can do without it with no ill effects and I havent been near a supplement for years. But vegan is different from vegetarian.

My vegan friend most definitely feeds her dogs meat, she has no qualms about that at all.
    Last edited by Kalacreek; 08-11-2013 at 10:11 AM.

One day of trying to move sheep from one paddock to another usually makes me crave roast lamb for some reason.

Had that discussion with some hindu vegans... they found the smell of "burning flesh" disgusting but I quite enjoy it. Not so keen on the smell of burnt toast.

However - I respect people's right to choose what they do and don't eat and for those choices to be as informed as possible.

Vegans/Vegetarians who get their diet right - do tend to live longer and make a smaller footprint on the planet.

What I have a hard time respecting are vegetarians who are vegetarian because they don't like killing animals (bigger than a bacteria I presume), but still eat dairy and eggs. The dairy industry depends on calves to make lactating cows... and the calves have to go somewhere... if all the calves lived - there'd be no room on the planet for anything else - very quickly.

And don't get me started on the egg industry. It's slightly better if you get eggs from your own chooks but I can't say my brother's chooks have a good life - they have more room than battery or barn chooks but they also have more problems like foxes and rats. And what happens when they're too old to lay eggs...

Why being vegetarian can kill more animals than eating meat | Measure of Doubt

Rural Western Australia

Yes well I raise lambs on my farm but still prefer to eat vegetarian mainly because I am not overly fond of the smell and taste of meat and I still remember the smell of those formalin pickled chooks!. When I work my sheep in the paddocks with my dogs, if they are on lush pasture they burp up a rather unpleasant smelling gas from their rumens LOL. I figure my sheep and lambs are well cared for when they are with me and I drive them to the abbatoir myself which lessens the stress involved. My neighbour kills and packs my cull ewes for me which the dogs get from the feezer.

I find the whole chicken and egg industry disturbing but I dont buy eggs although I am sure many things I buy would have eggs in them. I have no problems with raising animals for meat as long as we do our best to do it humanely as possible.
    Last edited by Kalacreek; 08-12-2013 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ejburke32 View Post
    I have a friend who's a vegan and swears by home cooked vegetarian diet for her dog, says it lessens a lot of the smell factor that meat diets can cause. I'm interested in knowing other people's views on this. From memory I think the diet included cooked brown rice, lentils, vegetables (not onions or garlic of course) with some of the vegetables barely cooked for crunch factor (like carrots).

I like the idea of a less smelly dog (especially since I'm looking at a bulldog which is a breed reknown for their farts ), but don't want the dog missing out on anything vital. Any thoughts?
    Farts are from an incomplete digestion. If you feed anything new to a dog, their digestion will often take time to adjust to the new nutrients. Meat should not cause any more issues than vegetables. Charcoal can help lesson fart issues.

Dogs are 'virtually' carnivores. That is, they are not strict carnivores like cats, but in the wild eat 95% plus meat.

A vegan or vegetarian diet is indeed dangerous for a dog. WHY?

Back to basics. Dog Kibble and canned food is usually 80% grains. They do this because it is cheap. You will usually find meat as the first couple of ingredients, because that way they can put a pic of it on the packaging, but also it is the only way of meeting the aafco amino acid MINIMUM requirements for the essential aminos that dogs need. The following article explains this COMPLETELY:
    Dog Food. Meat Proteins or Grain protein, which ones meet AAFCO standards?

In the above article I compare grain from the major kibble brands with just one form of meat, beef. You will see that grain (and vegetables) fail many of the essential amino acids minimum requirements.

That means that meat, regardless of your philosophy is even sanctioned by aafco (the dog food law makers that allow 80% grain!) because it is the easiest way of meeting the standards rather than adding amino powder (from meat anyway)

I have just recently posted a thread on this forum about the ultimate raw diet. It is meat based. However yes if you can find a way of adding the right amino acids without meat to veggies you are half way there.

The reason I say this is that in the article below, you will see that all of the kibble brands have to add a mass of vitamins and minerals to their carb kibble to meet the minimum standards. So its just not amino acids they are lacking, it is vitamins and minerals too.

Dog foods ONLY meet aafco standards by using masses of supplements

This is why I made the statement in the other post that getting a good vitamin and mineral supplement that based on nutrition data tables and your specific raw meat diet is the hardest part of all. Not only because you may want to reach the minimum levels, but you need to get the Ca to P ratio correct, and you don't want to exceed the max values they have for several nutrients. This can cause issues as much as getting the ratio between several nutrients wrong ... it gets complicated ...

So no, just assembling a few nice veggies and rice is not going to cut a bare minimum nutrient requirement. If people who buy kibble think that a raw diet (meat based) is inadequate, then it goes triply so for a veggie based diet.

Again, all views and opinions welcome in an open on-line forum, but I would appreciate a little more science in conflicting theories as opposed to random opinions that I usually get lambasted with ...

I am here for the dogs ... (and diligent owners)
    Bruce is a "dog walker in inner west Melbourne" & sells "Healthy Dog treats." My dog Archie approves of these things.

Yes i think i'm with the raw food diet people on this one. I like the idea of my dog chewing on a nice fresh meaty bone to stay healthy. Interesting discussion though, I thought it would bring out a few different opinions. Especially interesting about the grains, I would like to avoid any type of kibble, would rather have non processed food so I know exactly what the dog is eating. At this rate my dog's diet will be healthier than mine!

Thread Information