Thread: WANTED BADLY: Samriever

Default WANTED BADLY: Samriever

Hi, I'm very interested in buying a samriever puppy (Samoyed cross golden retriever) have searched everywhere and when I finally find one its always sold. Willing to drive anywhere to pick up.

Hi 'tommy221987' - and welcome to the forum. Sorry – can't help you with a breeder.

I have put up the following links for you – so that you can see that a mating of these 2 breeds could result in a real health disaster for any pups of this mix.

Golden Retriever:

Disorders by Breed - Golden retriever - LIDA Dogs - Faculty of Veterinary Science - The University of Sydney

Golden Retriever: Health Issues & Personality

What are the common health problems with Golden Retrievers? | Golden Retrievers

Disorders by Breed - Samoyed - LIDA Dogs - Faculty of Veterinary Science - The University of Sydney

Samoyed: Personality & Health Issues

Samoyed Health Problems | Feeding | Raising a Healthy Samoyed Puppy

As you can see from the above links – both breeds have similar health problems – namely to do with hips, elbows, eyes and heart.

If the parents have not been health tested - then the chances of getting a healthy pup is very slim.

So do your homework and ask heaps of questions. Don’t select the first pup you find – because it may have the potential of breaking your heart and your bank balance.smiley-eatdrink004.gif

Be aware that a large scale breeder of these crosses was producing hip dysplasia... Look for proof of hip scored parents before buying

Hi Tommy

Please be sure to meet the parent dogs of your potential puppy. Unfortunately there isn't a code of ethics for cross breeders, so you have to be extra vigilant that they're not scamming you.

Also it can take up to 12 months for a breeding plan to come together and the breeder have puppies ready to take home. So if you do find someone who is breeding these - then don't wait until there are puppies, make friends with them now. meet the parent dogs and maybe some other progeny from that pairing if possible.

There is one of these crosses that lives around the corner from me, and he doesn't get along very well with most other dogs. So he doesn't get walked a lot. It's really sad. This could be because of his genetics and it could be because of lack of training or not enough time with his litter learning doggy manners.

Puppies need to stay with their litter until they are at least 8 weeks old. And the breeder should microchip and vaccinate (at least the first two out of three shots) and be able to help you with any puppy raising questions or problems you might have.

What is a responsible companion animal breeder? - RSPCA Australia knowledgebase
    A responsible companion animal breeder will:

1. Conscientiously attempt to match the demand of animals with the supply - in this way they proactively avoid creating an oversupply of animals. Breeding too many animals would mean that some of them may be euthanased or end up at a shelter as an unwanted animal and responsible breeders try to avoid this as they have the animals welfare at heart.

2. Provide a high standard of care and living conditions for their animals - animals are kept in a clean environment with adequate high quality food and water and are given the opportunity to exercise, play and lead a normal life.

3. Demonstrate a genuine concern for the animals in their care - they tend to ask prospective buyers many questions and ensure that the new owner and the animal will be a good match. e.g. a working dog is only sold to a person who can provide this type of active dog with enough mental and physical activity.

4. Be open and transparent and provides a complete history of the animal - the breeder will provide you with documentation relating to the animal and its parents, grandparents etc.

5. Will be aware of any known inherited disorders for their particular breed and take active steps to reduce the incidence of that disorder in future offspring - the breeder screens breeding animals using available tests and avoids mating animals that are likely to produce sick offspring. They also avoid mating closely related animals.

6. Provide ongoing support and information to the new owner - the breeder will give their full contact details and encourage you to call them if you have any questions of concerns.

7. Will generally provide a guarantee (timeframes may vary) - the most responsible breeders will often ask you to bring the puppy back to them if it doesn't work out in order to avoid the puppy ending up at a shelter as an unwanted animal.

8. Provide references on request - the breeder provides you with references form reputable sources such as their veterinarian or people who have purchased puppied form them in the past.

10. Comply with the relevant local and state/territory legislation and codes of practice including any registration and licensing requirements.

This is not directed in any way personally. It is just that it is a mystery to me how mongrels or cross breeds became fancy. I just don't get it. To me (now) either buy a breed that you have researched that has specific characteristics and be guided by a breeder to choose a pup with the personality you want or get a rescue.
    In the dim past when I previously owned a dog there were two sorts of dogs, mongrels who were given away in the local paper or a sign out the front of the house and registered breeds. It just all strikes me as clever marketing.
    I think like me some people come to owning a dog after a long break and things have changed.
    I had no conscious awareness of BYBers when I got Maggie ( shame shame on Gumtree). I sure would do it differently next time even though she has worked out brilliantly lucky for us. This Forum is a huge benefit for dogs and owners and I hope prevents a great deal of misery if people listen and take the advice. I must say some of you are extraordinarily patient!
    Last edited by farrview; 08-02-2013 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by farrview View Post
    It is just that it is a mystery to me how mongrels or cross breeds became fancy.
    Hi Fairview - gentle education is better than abuse - even if it's not well received on first reading. Sometimes it takes a while and a bit of research on things like Oscar's law to get the message.

Sometimes someone meets a dog that is a certain breed or cross and think they can get a puppy that will be just like that dog. But even if you got a clone - it would be the same as much as two identical twins are the same - they generally have some personality differences.

Cross breed dogs - are even harder to get a good match for a previously met example of the cross. You don't know which parent the puppies are going to take after or in what way. And some puppy farmers who cater to trends - don't really care if what they're selling is what you're after, they can say it is and you can't prove them wrong. But you're just as likely to get a deerhound x huski as a samoyd x golden retriever from a puppy farmer. Or a true bitsa cross of a cross of a cross, with hint of beagle. And there's plenty of those available from the rescue organisations.
    Search large puppies in SA

Thread Information