Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice Please! What dogs to breed on my property?

Question Advice Please! What dogs to breed on my property?

Hi, I own a couple of acres in the Central West of NSW. I thought to buy a breeding pair of dogs but I'm not sure what breed. I'm an avid dog lover - I cook up their food myself from natural ingredients, I worked for a vet for many years. I thought I might as well get some return for the care and money I put into them by breeding some nice pups.

These are my criteria:

I'm not a keen groomer of dogs, so prefer a lower maintenance dog, although a weekly bath and brushing is fine.

I live within a small village so noisy dogs that are difficult to teach to be quiet won't work.

I'd like a good financial return for my investment so would prefer to breed pups that sell for a good price.

I live with a wide assortment of animals including chooks, cats, other dogs, ducks, etc. I know most dogs need training to live with these animals in peace, and at the moment I have a Jack Russell, an American Staffy and a German Shepherd who share my 'house' yard with these animals very nicely.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Toowoomba, QLD

Hi Onalove,

Breeding dogs takes many years of planning and research to understand everything about the breed of dog, their genetic conditions, illnesses, conformation details etc. There are some members on this forum who have been planning/researching for 10+ years and are still not ready to breed. The only reason anyone should ever breed a dog is to try and improve the breed in some way, NOT to make a profit, it is actually extremely hard to make a profit from breeding dogs, by the time you take into consideration testing parents for genetic conditions, feeding, vaccinations, microchipping (must be done before selling puppies) and emergency vet bills... most dog breeders are actually lucky to breakeven after having a litter.

I'm sure another forum member will talk to you about becoming a registered ANKC breeder and not just a 'back yard breeder'.

Surely working in the vet industry you have had a lot of experience working with dogs who have been bred by 'back yard breeders' and have all sorts of genetic conditions, as well as working with a lot of abandoned/unwanted dogs/puppies bred by people who think they can make a 'good financial return on their investment'. As a dog breeder, you should also be willing to take back any dog you bred, at any time of its life, if its owners are unable to keep it. Have a look at this website, Search all dogs there are over 3500 unwanted dogs in Australia looking for homes (not including the ones not listed on this website, and the 250,000 put down in pounds/shelters last year), as an animal lover, do you really think it's fair to bring more puppies into this world? I don't think so. By breeding more dogs, you are either directly or indirectly contributing to this... ie. your puppies will end up in these places when they stop being 'cute puppies' or when their owners have kids, have to move etc or by people taking puppies from you, it stops them saving a rescue dog.

Please think very long and hard before you even consider breeding, it's not easy, it's not for everyone and it definitely is not there to make a profit

se qld

Please look at Pet Rescue to see how many dogs
    get surrendered/dumped by their owners.

They were all purchased as puppies by people who meant well (at the time).
    Some are crossbreeds, many are not.
    I see plenty of Beagles,GSPs and other pedigree dogs that people paid $1200+ for as pups
    needing he-homing for (insert reasons and/or excuses here).

Please do not create more puppies.
    If you have free time on your hands then consider Volunteering for a Rescue as a foster carer.
    There are many GSDs, Amstaffs and even JRTs who need a safe haven and a bit of training
    and confidence building.

I am sure you would find this a very rewarding experience.

You will not get the answers you are after here. Kristy has pretty much summed it up. Breeding pups for profit is regarded as highly immoral by the majority of dog lovers. If you want to do breed responsibly, you will spend as much as you earn. The biggest profits are made by those breeding designer dogs and they are very, very rarely responsible breeders.

I advise you to sign up to some of the rescue organisation Facebook groups that post dogs on kill list at the pounds around Australia. It is an eye opener.

i intially thought yr post was the work of a troll trying to elicit emotional responses but i am giving you the benefit of the doubt.

i will respectfully explain why i thought that;

yr list of reasons to breed a dog are precisley the list of reasons that put you in the category of really, really low calibre back yard breeder with the potential to be a puppy mill. you already view the enterprise and dogs as a cash cow, no fuss way to make money.

just getting two dogs to breed with of an unspecified breed and hey presto you want to be considered as legitimate breeder, is so troll like.

ALL your reasons to breed ARE the WRONG reasons to breed dogs no matter how ell meaning you are.

there are more than enough puppies being produced to meet demand, in fact there is an over production of puppies resulting in a huge drain on tax payers and volunteers to clean up other people's messes resulting in a mountain of dead dogs every month piled up for disposal.

PLEASE think about what you are doing, and get educated.

you do not even have a history in a particular breed (from yr wording) that you have the feintest clue of what lines combined would enhance and improve the breed, who would buy, you have zero breeding plan other than low maintainence and make money - prepare to live with names like back yard breeder, unethical breeder, puppy miller....etc, cos yr current plan if realised will make you precisely that.

i am being totally respectful and honest, and actually very restrained and nice about it. interpret it how you will.

you posts appeared as i was typing

It's hard to be a responsible breeder and make a profit.

What is a responsible companion animal breeder? - RSPCA Australia knowledgebase

It's easy to be a puppy factory and make a profit at the expense of the breeding dogs, the puppies and the people who buy the puppies. Ie all wrong.

So if you just want to breed to make money, do you realise the kind of health risks that puts the bitch at? You worked at the vet - did you not see the poor bitches coming in with various problems or do they just shoot sick dogs where you live?

Good reasons to breed dogs are
    you love the particular breed
    you want to make the best quality healthy puppies that you can with your dogs.
    lots and lots of people want the breed that you love, and puppies from your dogs in particular.

SE QLD

Dogs SHOULD NOT be used as a source of income.

There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.

Moggill, Queensland

The OP said a good financial return, not necessarily a profit. I read it as "I want to get back some of the money I invest", and I don't think there's anything wrong with that at all (whether or not it's possible is another question). I can't comment on the read =)

Taringa, Brisbane

Agree with Muttboy, i call TROLL on this one. I hope you're trolling anyway :/

Thread Information