Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stem Cells.

The poor pup - really looks like she has been in the 'wars' !

Thank you so much for your update - 'tkandz' - and no - you are not a bad mum ! I am really impressed that you have got Kodi - with her breeding to the age she is now !

Yes - our pups can very stoic at times !

Have a look at this link and see what you think:

Rose-Hip Vital

There have been a lot of really good reports on it. Obviously check with your vet and see what they also think. I would hate to suggest something to you that would work against the stem cell work that has been done on Kodi.
    smiley-eatdrink004.gif

Oh poor pup, my heart goes out to you both. Just glad she's home in her own bed tonight. I sincerely hope she gets great results from this, and as fast as can be expected. Please keep us updated on her progress. She's a lucky girl to have you

And I agree with Riley - You have a 50kg dog who is 13 and a half years old? Wow, impressive.

So what was the big hole down the middle for? Couldn't they use liposuction (a nozzle under the skin) without cutting so much skin (that's going to hurt). Are all the shaved bits where they put some stem cells?

The big scar is because they take an actual piece of fat about the size of your hand out. They said it's more effective in removing the stem cells then if they did the liposuction thing. They did explain it in more complex terms to me but i can't remember the exact wording.
    It is a hell of a scar but she seems to be coping ok with it. She doesn't lick it touch it or even look at it and it's not red or inflamed at all so i'm assuming it's healing well.
    The shaved bits are where the stem cells were injected (both knees, both elbows and one hip).
    If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them. ~Phil Pastoret

Maybe the lipo thingy breaks up the cells they're trying to collect. That would make sense.

It's a hard decision, more ops and smaller holes, or fewer ops and one gaping great big hole. Hopefully shes safely loaded up with antibiotics (they can put that directly into the wound which really reduces the itching and chance of infection - docs did that with my second knee op).

As it's been almost 2 months since Kodi had her operation i thought i was long overdue for an update.

She has healed really well. Almost all her hair has grown back and the large scar she had down her side has healed up beautifully. She had no problems occur from it and never worried about her stitches when they were in there.

Now for the differences i think the stem cells have made...

She groans a lot less. Hardly at all now. She used to groan everytime she layed down. I'm not sure if it was from relief from getting the weight off her joints or from the pain involved in the actual task of laying down.

She has better use of her back legs. If she needed to get up a stair she would get her front legs up and then basically "hop" the back legs up, not bending the knee joint at all. She was using all the strength from her front legs to help her get the back ones up.

She now actually bends her back knees and will step up the stair with them.
    (We only have one stair in our house not a whole flight so she doesn't have to struggle up a heap of them)

She seems happier in herself. Her tail wags a lot more and she just seems brighter in her personality. I notice this as does my partner and the vet.

She also seems to have moments where she will try to stir my other dog up to get him to play with her. She will jump around like a puppy in front of him until he plays with her.

Her appetite has increased. Not sure if this is a good thing as i need to keep the weight off her so less strain on her joints.

She goes for walks with me every other day. I live on three and a half acres so i just let her wander down the paddock with me. She has to stop every now and then for a rest but i just let her take it at her pace. She loves going and i have to tell her to slow down at the start as she's that keen to go i have to remind her to pace herself.

Things that haven't changed....
    She still has a limp from her front left leg. She still lays down a lot.

Oh and she isn't 13 and a half, she's 12 and a half years old. Don't know why i thought she was older and i dare not tell her i was telling people she was older than she was.

Overall i am pleased with what has been achieved. With the amount of arthritis she has she was never going to be like a young dog again and i wasn't expecting this. All i really wanted was her not to be suffering or in pain and i think we have achieved this.

She is still having check ups from the vet just to see how she's going and he is happy with her. He does believe that some of the problems in her back legs may be neurological and he has suggested having accupuncture done on her. I am willing to try this if only to see if it does something.
    If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them. ~Phil Pastoret

Very glad that she has improved.

I think the acupuncture will help a lot.

Our old Buddy had two sessions, and after the second time he could actually run
    instead of just shuffle around. I was so very happy with the results and it was not expensive.

So glad to read your update, such good news!
    I'm not knowledgeable about medical stuff so I'm curious about why the stem cells weren't injected in her spine where the arthritis showed up on x-ray?

That is good news, it must be lovely to see her feeling better. Thanks for the update

Grevillea my understanding of science isn't fantastic but i can try and explain what i know.

The stem cells are a fantastic thing in that they can become other cells,in my case with Kodi they become cartilage. They were injected into the knees and elbows as the cartilage there has worn away and the stem cells will basically "regrow" new cartilage.

The arthritis she has, as far as i understand is unrepairable and unmovable.

I don't think that there is any cartilage in the spine so the stem cells wouldn't do anything there. (feel free to correct me if i'm wrong anyone).

Thread Information