Thread: Starting Again

Default Starting Again

My husky pup, Kiki, is about 1 yr and 8 months. She is beautiful. Smart, cute. But lately I have been really busy and preoccupied with other things. She has still gotten plenty of attention and exercise but the training side has gone majorly downhill. Yesterday on our walk she took off and wouldnt come back. Her recalls have been getting worse but this was terrible. She was chasing birds and leaves and everything was more interesting than me.

I have to go back to the beginning. working at home with her doing recalls getting her to respond to her name so much better than she is. hopefully it wont take her as long to get back to the way she was BUT im not really sure what to do with her abundance of energy. I cannot trust her off lead just yet and i dont want to take her for just a walk .. she has too much energy for that to be any good and she has began to pull alot lately. im not really sure what i want help with but i just needed to get this off my chest so i can move forward i feel like i have failed her in some way .. though that is a little silly.

sorry for the long post ..
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." - Edward Hoagland

Ok, firstly... If your dog isn't trustworthy with her recalls DO NOT let her off lead. Secondly, if you want to get some energy out of her... have you thought of something like this? Swimming

Firstly - IT'S A GODDAMN HUSKY! Sorry - I feel better now...truly.

The only husky I know with a reliable recall is Kita and that's only when she seems me with food lol (this is my friends husky that is really my dog but no one told her that )

If you wanted a loyal obedient dog you shouldn't have gone with a cat in dogs clothing.

The key - IMO - to winning over a husky is to make sure everything they do it THEIR idea.

I really really highly recommend doing sledding and racing with her. It's great fun and uses up their energy - best thing is - you can get yourself a bike or trike and practice in any park. It's heaps of fun - I was even tempted to put cappy into it at one point lol

Siberian Husky Club of Victoria will have more info - call them - chat to someone. You have a particular breed with particular needs.

Hey there. This is her growing up and being a teenager as well as being a husky I'm afraid.

Any normal teenager will start to test boundaries and dogs are no different.

Like Occy said - huskies are huskies and are far from renowned for their recall.
    They are like sighthounds in that sense and cannot be safely off lead unless in a fenced environment. They have years of selective breeding behind them telling them to pull on lead and work independently.

By all means work on your obedience, but you may find you get better results working very much WITH her, not expecting her to work FOR you. I find this most effective with my sighthounds - be a team, she'll resent being treated in a way that a breed like a border collie would thrive off - she wants to be your partner not your slave.

i'll just echo what has already been said. Huskies, like most northern working dogs (mals, akita's etc) should not be off leash unless it's enclosed. they are independant to a fault, and they also have a strong prey drive, so as soon as you have fast moving, small, fury or feathered things, forget getting them back for a while.

a sled racer i was chatting to once had the theory that they were bred to only follow commands when it suits THEM for good reason. he used the example that if you had a labradore as lead dog of your sled, and you told him to turn left, he would at the second you gave the command, quite probably into a tree. A husky/mal will follow the command when there's a gap in the trees.

Thread Information