Thread: Dogless family has joined

Default Dogless family has joined

We're a family of five, consisting of Mum (author of post), Dad, and three children aged10, 7 and 5. Our youngest will be at school next year, and we are considering adding a dog to our family, so we thought we should start learning now!

We have other pets, in order of size they are; 3 cats, 2 guinea pigs, 2 rats and fishes.

Looking forward to being educated in doggies, as we've not had a dog since before the children were born (and that was a Guide Dog puppy who we adored). Before that, I hadn't had a dog since I was a teen when our family dog died. We are looking forward to finding the perfect pooch for us!

It's nice when someone decides to do their research rather then rushing out and getting a pooch.

Melbourne VIC

Welcome to the forum.

I too am impressed that you are taking the time to do some reasearch before getting your dog. A lot of people get their dog first then come on here when a problem arises.

Prevention is definitely better than a cure. Definitely read the Stickies at the tops of the forum categories before getting your dog, espeically the one regarding BYB's and Puppy farmers

Good Luck with the research. If you have any questions, I'm sure we will all be more than happy to point you in the right direction.

Thanks to you both for the quick replies 'BYB's' is backyard breeders? No worries, I am busy reading up between posts SO much to learn, and really, I don't know if we have been all that efficent, I am sure next year will come along quickly. With our son starting school, we'd probably give it a few months for him to settle so we're in a routine, before we'd be right for a dog anyway. I am also aware if we decide to go with a breeder, there can be a waiting list to consider as well (?).

I certainly don't want to support anyone 'dodgy' who doesn't care about their dogs. I expect the person to want to quiz us about what we will offer their puppy or dog as much as I am now quizzing you all on what we should do to prepare!

SE QLD

Welcome to the forum! What kind of breeds are you interested in?

There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.

Thanks Jadielee87, I am looking forward to learning heaps from all you experts! Ideally? Allergy-low (that's the one MUST really), medium-sized, 'good with kids' (though I think usually it should be the kids being 'good with dogs'), easy-care coat, trainable (I understand some breeds are more stubborn), happy outside *sometimes*, ideally a dog that will tolerate other animals. Our cats will be the ones who the dog will need to be good with. The ratties we will keep separate, and the guineas are getting old, so if they are still around, they too will be kept apart because they are losing their vision, and are slower these days and don't need to even smell a new pet - they've earned the right to live out their days in peace! Friendly, enjoys walks, but not too 'working-dog' exercise-y. There is a park we can go to, where they can be off-leash, once I feel they will do as I ask them. I love the idea of our three children growing up with a pooch who has frollicked around with them in the backyard, and played hide-and-seek with them, and sat with them while they play board-games. LOL A lot to ask I know!

Thread Information