Thread: Dog to Dog Aggression

Sydney, Australia

Default Dog to Dog Aggression

Hi My name is Rayuu and I am new to the forum. My dog named Snowy is a 2 year old Japanese Spitz. Since 3 months ago, my dog is aggressive towards other dogs in the park. Usually he is friendly and nice towards any dogs except husky and staffi which is known to Jap spiitz breed. But now he is aggressive to all dogs. Why is that and how can I train him to be friendly to other dogs? Is my dog in a stress mode? One point is that his best friend, another Jap spitz left the complex around 3 months ago and now never seen again in the park as now they live so far away. They used to play like chases and friendly tackle with each other. I just need some input and opinion on how to make my dog friendlier as now most dog owners gave me one of those stare...

Fraser Coast - Queensland

Quote Originally Posted by Rayuumaru View Post
    Usually he is friendly and nice towards any dogs except husky and staffi which is known to Jap spiitz breed.
    huh ? i'm no expert (and correct me if i'm wrong) but how can a dog me aggressive towards certain breeds because of it's breed ? Never heard of a breed that has a predisposition to hating certain other breeds.

i'm sure pawfectionist or someone can help you here though.
    "He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion" Author Unknown

Your dog may be picking up on your own tension. Dogs are very good at picking up subtle signals that we can give off, without us being aware of it. If its any consolation my girl , Muriel is wary of Labs?? but only seems to be the golden ones ?? wtf. My old dog Moby had an intense dislike of the bullies with the Roman nose( pigdog?) and didnt give a rats about the others but i think this was caused by a bit of biff when he was a young dog.
    My suggestion keep him on a lead
    short introductions 3sec then walk away
    You will find other dogs for him to play with
    moo and billie.jpg

Geelong, Vic

Contact Pet Resorts Australia and get your dog assessed properly. Dog aggression is not something for the internet. Pet Resorts Australia

if pet resorts (can't find the names of the trainers who work with them) don't suit you, you could also contact Steve Courtney at - he's in the Hawksbury river area. And he may be able to recommend someone closer if that doesn't suit you.

Most Japanese Spitz I've seen out walking aren't interested in greeting or playing with dogs they don't know. So all dogs at the park would be uninteresting and ones that come running up and get in an unwilling dog's face (yours), things do not go well. It's up to you to protect your dog from bad experiences with other dogs - if a dog charges up directly - block it from greeting your dog. For now, only try to greet dogs that are on lead, and showing self control eg holding a sit or a drop, or sniffing the ground and keeping their lead loose.

Keep your dog's lead loose too. If any leads go tight - back off immediately. If your dog's lead is tight he is likely to assume he can't retreat either and will act as if he's cornered by any dog that seems threatening to him (isn't grovelling on its back). This is not a good experience for either dog - so protect your dog - and don't let it happen. If you can go to the park when there are no other dogs around, this would be for the best until you get some professional guidance for retraining your dog and for you to recognise stressed out dog signs before the dog goes off at another.

There is plenty on the web about stress signals for dogs that do not want to greet the other dog, person, child. Things like lip licking, looking away, sniffing, scratching, and going around the other side of you from the approaching "threat". All this stuff happens before a dog goes into attack mode.

Well said Hyacinth..

Melbourne VIC

Agree with Hyacinth.

It could be that your dog no longer has its mate to feel safe and is trying to protect the new, smaller group (you) from possible threats.

Who is the boss at home? You or the dog? Does the dog come to you for attention (pats, sit in your lap, etc) or does it give you space and wait for you to call it over? Does your dog try to rush out the door when you get ready to go for a walk or does it wait for your lead/command?

Had anything else changed beside the other dog leaving? Did your dog get in a fight or get sick or has your routine changed?

I agree with seeking a professional in your area to help you with this behaviour before it escalates.

Thread Information