Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 86

Thread: Koda's progress

  1. #11

    Default

    'maddogdodge' - really enjoying and loving reading about your journey with Koda ! Please keep updating this thread - it will give a lot of owners of pups out in the 'world' - if they could be bothered - some hope and realisation - that if they put the work in - there would be nothing that they could not do with their own dogs !!

    As long as it is done with love, patience and understanding !

    Sounds like I am repeating myself - but - baby steps and love, patience and understanding will always win in the long run !

    The pups in our lives, that we love and care for are too precious to allow them to fail when we are training them - so baby steps in training. Set up situations that both you and Koda are happy and comfortable with, where Koda will not fail - then - reinforce, reinforce - then reinforce again !

    As Koda starts trusting you more - then start with extending the lessons !

    Take care !

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    12,057

    Default

    hmm, maybe a bigger dog at home, or where you are practicing with the poodle?

    But I agree - check with the behaviourist first. Maybe get some more video for them to look at.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    VIC
    Posts
    2,347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RileyJ View Post
    'maddogdodge' - really enjoying and loving reading about your journey with Koda ! Please keep updating this thread - it will give a lot of owners of pups out in the 'world' - if they could be bothered - some hope and realisation - that if they put the work in - there would be nothing that they could not do with their own dogs !!

    As long as it is done with love, patience and understanding !

    Sounds like I am repeating myself - but - baby steps and love, patience and understanding will always win in the long run !

    The pups in our lives, that we love and care for are too precious to allow them to fail when we are training them - so baby steps in training. Set up situations that both you and Koda are happy and comfortable with, where Koda will not fail - then - reinforce, reinforce - then reinforce again !

    As Koda starts trusting you more - then start with extending the lessons !

    Take care !
    Thanks so much Riley, thats really encouraging

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    VIC
    Posts
    2,347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hyacinth View Post
    hmm, maybe a bigger dog at home, or where you are practicing with the poodle?

    But I agree - check with the behaviourist first. Maybe get some more video for them to look at.
    I would bring a bigger dog to my house but the problem is i dont know anyone who has a larger dog that is actually controllable. Our friends used to have a lovely young Lab but he was bitten by a snake at our house when we were dog-sitting him... he didnt make it... it was really quite traumatic for the owners and my family

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    724

    Default

    That training video is great MDD, you're doing a really good job with Koda. It must be so encouraging that he's improving so quickly (the little fluffy dog is such a cutie too )

    What kind of treats are you using?? You are able to draw his attention away from the other dog to you really well.

    Do you train Koda when he's hungry, or do you think he's enjoying doing the training and learning something new?

    PS: That's really sad about your friend's dog, that would have been traumatic for both families ...

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    VIC
    Posts
    2,347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by findeb View Post
    That training video is great MDD, you're doing a really good job with Koda. It must be so encouraging that he's improving so quickly (the little fluffy dog is such a cutie too )

    What kind of treats are you using?? You are able to draw his attention away from the other dog to you really well.

    Do you train Koda when he's hungry, or do you think he's enjoying doing the training and learning something new?

    PS: That's really sad about your friend's dog, that would have been traumatic for both families ...
    Thanks Findeb I'm just using Shmackoes! He adores them
    Koda doesnt nesersarily need to be hungry to want his shmackoes i think he enjoys the training as well though!

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    724

    Default

    That's great that he's enjoying training and loving the treats!

    Maybe I need to have some one on one training time to improve Ruby's training a bit, she loves schmackos too, but when she's in a group situation she gets so excited by everyone and everything that she won't take them or gags on them because she doesn't chew - the only thing I can sort of get into her is the tuckertime roll all chopped up and I just push it in her mouth and she inhales it....

    I look forward to more progress reports on Koda

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    VIC
    Posts
    2,347

    Default

    I am actually totally stoked right now!
    Koda was still barking at strangers if i'm not around with treats, so the behaviourist suggested that around 10 minutes before someone comes, to give him a bone or his Kong and that might distract him from the visitors. I honestly didn't think it would work, But i gave it a go anyway. This morning i knew there were some people coming out to our property to teach their son to drive a manual car, so 10 minutes before they came i gave Koda a frozen bone and his Kong full of boiled egg. When the people arrived they had two separate cars and they both drove right past the backyard where Koda was and Koda just glanced at them and went straight back to his bone!!!!! i Honestly couldn't believe it! Soon after this the youngest girl (around 10 years maybe) came walking up the paddock by herself, she walked past the back yard and called Koda over (Koda has always been great with kids so i wasent worried) He went over to her but soon lost interest and went back to his Kong because he had finished his bone. Right after that the mother of this girl came driving up the paddock in one of the cars and parked next to the backyard looking for her daughter. Koda was investigating but wasent barking anywhere near as much as normal... that was until he saw their dog... he then did lots of barking and running up and down the fence. But as soon as they headed back down the paddock... instead of running along the fence chasing them, Koda just went straight back to his Kong! I'm so proud of him for this! Tonight we are going to see if we can get some big bones from the butcher because he got through the little bone way too fast, and i think the bone worked better at distracting him compared to the Kong. still, i'm incredibly proud, especially since we had a difficult day yesterday with him. It was the same family who visited and Koda went off really bad... i hate to admit it but when they left, the thought of Koda not improving actually got me quite upset i was nearly in tears.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    12,057

    Default

    Does Koda like cow's hoof or deer antler. I'm still not sure about deer antler - I think it might be hard enough to bust a dog's tooth. But the cow's hoof lasts Frosty a very long time. It's not quite as high value as a kong stuffed with frozen chicken and yogurt mix though.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    VIC
    Posts
    2,347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hyacinth View Post
    Does Koda like cow's hoof or deer antler. I'm still not sure about deer antler - I think it might be hard enough to bust a dog's tooth. But the cow's hoof lasts Frosty a very long time. It's not quite as high value as a kong stuffed with frozen chicken and yogurt mix though.
    Thats a good idea, i'll look into the cow hooves! Which reminds me that my dad often gets cattle that he has to get de-horned... so next time he does that i'll ask to keep the horns.
    Last edited by maddogdodge; 04-10-2013 at 09:22 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •