Thread: Itchy Puppy

Default Itchy Puppy

Hi all,

our puppy Ziggy is very itchy at the moment, particularly around her lower back. She doesn't have fleas and was given Advantage a week and a half ago, I've not been able to find any flea dirt or fleas with a flea comb. No fleas on the cats or us either.
    Could it be that the dry air is affecting her skin? Should we wash her? Is there a shampoo or oil that I can put in her fur? She is a short-haired cattledog cross.

Thanks for the help
    - Tina

"Aloveen Oatmeal shampoo" is really good for itchy,dry skin. It's soothing and cleansing with no irritating soaps etc. My stafford used to have sensitive,itchy skin when she was a pup and this shampoo used to really help.
    Available at vets and pet shops.
    Your pups could just have dry skin, but it could be diet related too. Sometimes it can be habbit, if she's had fleas before. It's a elimination game and i'd start with the shampoo first.
    Good luck!

It can be diet as well or an allergy to something in her environment, like a plant in the yard etc.
    Try the Aloveen first and if there's no change start looking at other things. Many dogs are allergic to beef (among other things or course) and it can certainly set up an itchy skin reaction. So by removing different suspected allergies from her diet or environment one at a time you may be able to find it, or at least narrow it down

Mimi's puppy Science Diet food drove her mad with itch. It stopped when we changed her to a different brand altogether.

Aussie land :)

Default Diet, Moisturizing shampoo and some swimming should do the trick.

Hi Tina,

I definitely agree with Nattylou. Diet could possibly be part of the problem. For some more info on diet guidelines check out this link -- Guidelines from

I recommend using a moisturizing shampoo to moisturize your dogs skin. My prediction is that you were very worried and that you started washing your dog with regular or either flea shampoo frequently. Some shampoos especially flea shampoos can actually dry your dogs skin out a lot. Use a moisturizing one.

I am not sure about this, but since your dog has short hair, maybe take your dog for swims every day or so. I know it may take some work for your dog to get used to the water but I can assure you: If you do it step by step your dog will eventually love it and you won't be able to take him away from the water.

If all fails, I would consult your vet.

Itch Be Gone!,
    Busta the apricot poodle x spaniel

Perth, Western Australia

I am actually having the same problem with my girl, shes scratching so much she's causing it to bleed slightly...

Sorry i can't offer any help! But you're defiantly not alone !

Hi Tina, if she is developing an allergy to fleas, she only needs 1 flea to jump on her and bite her and then jump back off for her to itch. A lack of fleas seen on the dog is not neccesarily an indicator of 'no fleas' at all.

How old is she?

I'll disagree with the advice about it being a plant in the yard or similar. (Eek, sorry Nattylou). An allergic reaction to plants/carpets and similar (except grasses) is referred to as a 'contact allergy'. A contact allergy will only affect the areas of skin that it touches. The most common areas for contact allergies is on the pads of the feet and the stomach and chest.

It could possibly be the beginnings of a diet related allergy but diet allergies are not as common as most will have you beleive. Most diets related problems are due to a lack of nutrients that a dog needs or a specifc nutirent that a particular dog may need more of. Ensure your dogs has some oils in his diet to help with his coat condition as well. Tinned sardines is an easy option to add oil, as are fish oil tabs.

Aloveen shampoo is great and I agree witht he comment about flea shampoos being particulalry drying on the skin and coat. I never use them. Never use human shampoo either as it is balanced wrongly ph wise for a canine and can also dry and damage the coat. Always use a good quality dog specific shampoo.
    A pessimist sees the glass as half empty;
    An optimist sees the glass as half full;
    A realist just finishes the damn thing and refills it.

Middleton SA

maleseb shampoo is great, it is a medicated shampoo can buy it from pet stores, not cheap but it works, massage into skin leave on for 10 mins then rinse off.

Shannon Lush was on Tony Delroy's program last night and recommended "mint tea" for washing itchy puppies and dogs. She said it was also a bit of a flea repellent, which is why cats like rolling in cat nip (another of the mint family). You make mint tea by soaking some mint you cut out of your garden in hot water for a while, allow to cool and add to a bucket of water and dip the puppy in that - she's never very specific about proportions but you could look up the podcast on the website.

I like to use bits of aloe vera cactus leaf - split/sliced open and wipe the goey bit of the cactus on the itchy bits of the dog. It soothes, it stops licking cos it tastes horrible, and it promotes healing (and reduces scarring on cuts).

But like the others said - you need to find the source of the itches. Mozzies? Fleas? Wandering Dew (a pretty green ground cover plant that causes dogs who lie in it to be very itchy), cape weed (pretty yellow lawn daisy - also very toxic/itchy), some dogs are allergic to some grasses. I find fresh cut buffalo will bring me out in a rash, and flowering kikuyu can make my nose run.

And it could be food related.

One of the ways that helps you decide where to start looking first - is where the itchy bit is. Around the tail on the back - is probably fleas. They'd be hard to find there, but that's one of their favourite spots. If it's across the belly, especially near the legs, and your dog likes to flop belly down - it could be something in the environment - fleas in the bedding / flooring, ants, dodgy ground cover plants including some grasses.

If it's generally all over, and has started fairly recently and you've recently changed the dogs food - that could be it. If the dog has always had it, and it's all over, and you've always fed the same food - might be time to change it.

Thread Information