Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How does it all happen?

SE QLD

I definetly agree with registering with dogs west and the beagle club. You from there should be able to get into contact with other beagle breeders who will be able to mentor you through the process.

There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.

Perth WA

Thanks for the further advice!
    I have checked out DogsWest and Western Australia Beagle Club and am happy to join both
    In saying I've never been to a dog comp doesn't mean i'm not happy to start, sounds exciting. We don't live on a huge property, so we really would only be starting with 1 female.
    I've been doing alot of reading in regards to "bettering the breed" and for example how a dog with overly large paws should be bred with one who has smaller ones to create puppies who then have a good size.. just as an example. So i'm starting to understand what it means to actually better the dog instead of just chucking 1 + 1 together and getting pups.
    Another question I have is that i've noticed some breeders do not like to have their dogs bought and bred, if I explain my intentions will they be leniant with that?
    Big droopy eyes, long floppy ears... I love Beagles

near Sydney NSW

Talk to the breeders you meet. I'm sure you'll find a breeder who is happy to mentor you through your venture.

It is an interesting hobby. It is demanding financially, emotionally and time-wise. But it is also immensely rewarding and addictive.

Research into Beagles is the best place to start. Read most of what you can find, about their history, origins etc. This helps to understand why they are what they are, and why their physical and mental attributes are important.

Beagle standard from Australia is here: Australian National Kennel Council

The extension to that standard, which goes into more detail on the above, is here:

No you don't have to show to breed. But showing is a great way of meeting others and sharing knowledge and experience, as well as seeing and appreciating different individual Beagles.

Geelong, Vic

Many breeders of popular breeds are usually inundated by backyard breeders, so they jump the gun and write 'dont ask' It doesnt mean it isnt possible but it basically means unless you're a registered breeder who will do the right thing don't bother going down that road, and I totally understand where they are coming from.

Before you use a dog you have to see if it's worth breeding from at all. You have to weigh up the pros and cons, a dog can be out of standard but end up producing some incredible puppies and pass on some very needed genes. You are lucky you have a more common breed and access to a wider gene pool then some others. My chosen breed is the Belgian Malinois, we have less dogs to work with in Australia that are actually worth working with since many breeders have either bred without papers, or produced dogs that are not complimentary with many others. THe lines my friend breeds with have few dogs to compliment with, I will be working with those lines too when I (finally) get my kennel name and looks like I'll import semen to keep the gene pool going. One example is my dogs father, he's bigger then the standard as he throws back to old european lines. Now show wise, despite the coat being in standard he would not win due to his size and colour popularity. Work wise though he is an incredible worker with a rock solid temperament and hard nerve. The toss up came down to producing pups with his temperament and he has produced well. THe males are a good working size, the bitches have a good solid bone structure and good workers too. Conversely if we have another 5 dogs exactly the same but in standard that threw pups in the standard, well you use those instead of course.

mother back, daughter front

genetics is also not as easy as pups being a midway between their parents. I can tell you a couple of his sons were already his height at 8 months old, and my bitch is the exact size as her mother. Remember too close breedings like half siblings, cousins etc are not always a bad thing IF you know what you doing. You can nicely concentrate genetics to give you some incredible dogs or increase the chance of creating (or in some cases recreating) an really good dog that had many good points. From there you outcross to complimentary lines which you research at least 2-3 gens back to see what can possibly come out of your litter. Malinois are beginning to be a bit incestuous (I have 4 dogs here from different breeders, 2 are first cousins with an 8 year age gap, all are related within 3 generations back) which starts being a worry for some lines and breeds.

Thread Information