Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Australia sucks **warning -> rant inside**

Not sure where is where in Brissie, I will look up a map tonight - have to go back to loading truck for now..

Sammy, i like to think i've looked EVERYWHERE here Brisbane, north and south and am just as dissapointed as you are to find there are not many places that could satisfy me (in the way of scenic routes) or my dog (in regards to a lengthy walk). Coming from NZ where the laws are also so much more relaxed than here in Australia and we have similar enviroment, native animals and fauna as well. There are no bans on dogs at the beach and we use to take our dogs tramping in Tongariro national park all the time.

You have Kedron brook, north suburbs of Brisbane which has an area designated for walking your dog off-lead beside the creek. It's long enough for a 'decent' walk for my dog (about an hour or so). Only been once, and living on the south side probably wouldn't bother again as i didn't find it scenically appealing or worth the 50min drive from my home.

I love heading to Mt Tamborine. Although the dogs aren't allowed on the national park trails, there is a 40-50minute walk from one side of the mountain (along the road and through the township/local footpath & trails) up and looped around & many of the restaurants are dog friendly providing your dog shows they are well mannered/trained.

Every fortnight we like to go to either the Spit in the GC or to Redbeach Bribie which is a designated off-leash beach for the dogs and actually presentable enough for me to take a swim as well! I find alot of the beaches, rivers here that allow dogs are places i wouldn't really want to be swimming in myself - basically mud pits

Oh and alot of people will suggest nudgee. It's disgusting, no toilet area and lots of unruly trained dogs.

What a jerk, i realized i said 'sammy' lol. Meant got you 99, instead of your dog. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Kuri_89 View Post
    What a jerk, i realized i said 'sammy' lol. Meant got you 99, instead of your dog. Lol
    Haha that's ok, I really appreciate you giving us a few suggestions about where we can go. I know what you mean about the beaches; Sammy is part seal and I love being able to go to the beach with him. We live East of Brisbane and I would drive up to an hour for somewhere good.

Me and a couple of friends were hoping to go to the beach this weekend and of course I would love to be able to take the pooches if possible so if you do know of any that are half decent, we will give them a shot.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by goindeep View Post
    The Europeans have it down pat. Not like us, overly politically correct and scared of anything that may cause potential harm to our beautiful flora and fona and hence we BAN dogs from most national and state parks and well... pretty much everywhere else apart from the street!
    You're right about how European dog laws are more free which can be good, but I wouldn't say they've got it down pat. There are stray dogs absolutely everywhere and it's normal to own too many dogs to look after, especially in more rural places.

Here's a picture I took in a small Italian village a week or two ago. There were 8-9 dogs in that cage plus another chained up outside and they all went crazy when we walked past. It was an eye-opener.
    Attached Images Attached Images

For 99 bottles:

https://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=ww...ed=0CAsQ_AUoAA

There is what looks like a very large wooded area (Balmoral Park)

also this: from a FB group of dog people

"I'm at camp hill and we like to take ***** to Colmslie when its not busy which is hardly ever. There is also a good park at Norman Park and a huge dog park on Meadowlands road near Carina Leagues Club"

Quote Originally Posted by This name is invalid View Post
    You're right about how European dog laws are more free which can be good, but I wouldn't say they've got it down pat. There are stray dogs absolutely everywhere and it's normal to own too many dogs to look after, especially in more rural places.

Here's a picture I took in a small Italian village a week or two ago. There were 8-9 dogs in that cage plus another chained up outside and they all went crazy when we walked past. It was an eye-opener.
    Good point and a fair one.

I know that in Spain they actually tie dogs to chains on their properties to protect it while they are away for days and weeks at a time.

I have a friend who adopted one of these poor dogs.

But I guess this discussion is more with regard to what and what not dogs are allowed to do here in Australia as opposed to other places in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalacreek View Post
    Yes I agree with you but unfortunately it is simply just easier for the authorities to ban dogs from national parks.
    That seems to be the catch call of Australian rules and regulation on almost anything.

"Hmmm, can't create a solution so we may as well create an other law".

Pathetic actually.

Its like all the alcohol laws as an example.

Okay so one night I sit down and I go hey C and M lets go on a little road trip just the three of us. So I jump on the internet and go onto google maps. Then something strikes me. No where to go to have fun. The nearest beach says DOGS PROHIBITED D: . The dog parks are fun for the dogs but not me(nothing inside the fence but a pee tree and chairs that are just as old(and smelly) and some dogs just don't like us. Okay where else... The park (human one) ... nope. The parents of the little kids will shriek when they see Mollie yodelling away like the singer she is. I end up going to the dog park anyway. Seriously the chairs are really *that bad* I mean they have soft inserts SOFT INSERTS EXPOSED TO RAIN, WIND AND GOD KNOWS WHAT ELSE. Gosh Australia, give dogs a life.

Having lived in Germany, Austria and France - its not all perfect there either.

1. there is dog poo EVERYWHERE!!!! piles of shit along every street- its unbelievable. Slipping in frozen shit in the snow is the pits....

2. Yes dogs are allowed on public transport but they must wear muzzles- and they do. It is very accepted to muzzle your dog in public.

I back onto bush and walk our beagle in a national park- but he is always on leash (having the beagle tendency to disappear for hrs following a good scent). I am amazed at the number of people we meet on fire trails with their dogs off leash and behaving badly. Chasing and killing wildlife, pooing and it not being collected, have no recall at all etc etc.

Thread Information