Thread: Feeding dogs eggs

Default Feeding dogs eggs

I heard recently that you shouldn't feed your dogs eggs, is there any truth to this? Or is it just a myth? I'd never heard of this before and have always fed raw eggs to the dogs (not a lot just every no and then) without incident.

As far as I know there is an enzyme in uncooked egg white which can inhibit digestion if fed every day. Egg yolk is fine, and egg white is ok so long as it's every other day or similar.

I only occasionally give our dogs raw egg. But my dogs regularly get boiled eggs, they love it and i have heard that its good for their coats too

The ad's on TV also say that feeding premium pal kibble is the best food for a dog...

It is perfectly fine so long as it is every other day as Nattylou has already said.

Soon they will be telling us feeding raw is bad for dogs... oh, no. Wait they already did that, my bad.

Thanks guys you put my mind at ease, I'm glad to know that I'm not poisoning my pooches. I wouldn't be feeding them eggs all the time anyway because eggy dog farts aren't exactly rosy.

Cooked eggs are highly digestible by dogs. they provide essential amino acids, iron, vitamin A, vitamin D, several B's. 4% of the egg yolk is linoleic acid.

The white of the egg contains several inhibitory substances: AVIDIN (inhibits biotin), and a compound that interferes with the pancreatic Protease, trypsin.

If you were to feed ONLY the egg white, it would bind with biotin in the intestine and cause scaly skin, high blood cholesterol and defects in nerve transmission.

The good news is that the egg yolk contains plenty of biotin, so if you feed a dog the complete raw egg the biotin destroying capacity (of other dietary biotin) is essentially neutralised. However this is not a good idea (keep reading) - Optionally cooking an egg denatures avidin which stops it binding to biotin.

The other major issue is a group of substances that inhibit trypsin. It has been shown that by feeding a dog as little as two - four raw egg whites per day can inhibit trypsin to the point of causing chronic diarrhoea in dogs and mal-absorption of many nutrients. Dried uncooked egg white alone will do the same.

Just like avidin, heat treatment denatures the trypsin inhibitor of egg whites. However unlike avidin, the yolk in a raw egg does not stop the inhibiting effect.

THIS MEANS: if eggs are to be feed to companion animals "the eggs should always be cooked thoroughly before feeding. This is necessary to denature both avidin and trypsin inhibitors present in the egg whites." The reference source suggest to limit a medium to large dog to one or two cooked eggs per week.

I hope that helps a little .. (source: Canine and feline nutrition, Case et al)
    Bruce is a "dog walker in inner west Melbourne" & sells "Healthy Dog treats." My dog Archie approves of these things.

Taringa, Brisbane

As said above, raw yolks is okay if limited to one or two a week for a large dog. If giving whites they should be cooked to prevent skin and gut deficiencies. I used to soft boil two eggs once a week and share them amongst our four dogs (two medium, two small). Certainly made a huge difference to their skin and coats.

melbourne australia

Ive fed my dogs eggs, raw and cooked for 4 decades, and no issues as yet.

Thread Information