Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please Help me with my baby girl

I hope the surgery goes well and makes her feel more comfortable. It's great to hear that you are open to the idea of giving her some training. It is a great way to bond with a dog too and I enjoy doing it with my dog. I learnt most of what I know about training from this forum too (and links to other resources) and the advice and info has always been fantastic.

thank you very much. Also could her going on heat have any thing to do with it she is due to soon. Sorry for all the questions I just want to get to the bottom of it.

Thank you, I am willing to try anything we love her so much and just want her to be comfortable and people who visit to be comfortable around her and realise what a wonderful personality she has, the little nut bag she is lol.

Hi 'kmadoc' - and to the forum.

Sorry to read that you are having hassles with your little female pup.

As far as trainers in your area go, I would suggest the following Behaviourists- and they are in order of my preference - but are both very good at what they do:

Jane Harper: Dogs On Track - Home Page or Craig Murray:Dog School The home of Dog training in Australia: Home

As others have said there are usually what is classed as 'tipping points' or experiences that your pup has had in the past which affects how they will behave in the future. Have a look at this thread below and see if you can remember anything that may have happened in the past that is causing you these problems today. This will be information that any good trainer or behaviourist will require.

Dog Training:

Health of your pup or lack of it is also important information that will be required by any good trainer or behaviourist.

If you are concerned about the price of the operation for your pup - have you shopped around and gotten quotes off other vets ? My favourite is the Queensland University Vet Clinic.

Some other websites that I suggest you have a good look at- are the following:

Patricia McConnell Patricia McConnell PH.D. | McConnell Publishing Inc. Leslie McDevitt: Control Unleashed�: Home Page

Dog Training:

K9 Pro K9 Pro The K9 Professionals; Online Dog Shop

Kikopup: kikopup - YouTube

Training your pup is really important for not only the pup but you and the rest of your family and friends.

So - please get some one-on one help !

Don't underestimate the damage she could do to a child if she got serious about it!

And what everyone else said, get professional help asap. Good luck.

I forget the dear Riley was a canetoad ! Sorry Riley
    GageDesign Pet Photography
    Site still in construction so will post link when it's finished.

Quote Originally Posted by kmadoc View Post
    thank you very much. Also could her going on heat have any thing to do with it she is due to soon. Sorry for all the questions I just want to get to the bottom of it.
    Whilst not the actual 'crux' of the problem , desexing her could help in many ways as well prevent future health problems
    GageDesign Pet Photography
    Site still in construction so will post link when it's finished.

Thanks so much for the feed back and info & I'll be doing the surgery in the new year no matter the cost but would be nice to get the price down so thanks for the Qld uni vet heads up. She is very healthy her and my boy go for 3 month check ups at the vet and she is always in top nic except for the soft pallete thing. Anyway alot of very useful info that I will be pursuing as soon as possible. Again thank you and merry xmas and happy new year.

Rural Western Australia

I can sympathise with you having been in a similar situation with a past dog. These days I really check out the temperaments of the parents and make sure I like the breeding practices of the breeder. It can reduce the chances of a lot of future pain both temperament and healthwise. I have been down that road.
    - pain and expense.

My girl was fine with close family, including kids and friends but as she matured started to show fear aggressive tendencies to people she didnt know. I found out at a later date that her father was similar.

I had had dogs for years and never experienced anything like it before. I found the services of an experienced trainer well versed dog body language and in the techniques that involved desensitisation and counter conditioning and marker training and good timing.

I dont think my dog had a tipping point. I think that because I didnt really recognise the early signs there was a slow build up of anxiety and also certain times when the dog reinforced her habits - bark and nip and the person goes away. So this sort of behaviour was rewarded and reinforced in her mind and gradually became worse. She was genetically inclined this way without a doubt and I didnt pick up on it early enough.

I had to work very hard on this dog because these things are never solved overnight and although she got much better and her obedience was excellent there was always going to be a level where I wouldnt completely trust her. She was a dog I learned to read when when she was uncomfortable and my job to act on it. It is a very serious problem and requires serious committment to address.

You have to be prepared for the unexpected and I would never trust her around kids she didnt know because it is never worth the risk no matter how good she seemed, kids are too unpredictable and too vulnerable.
    Last edited by Kalacreek; 12-23-2012 at 04:06 PM.

Geelong, Vic

Contact Jane Harper or Craig Murray ASAP ... and go get her desexed, that dog should not be entire at all especially this long. She has a bad temperament and needs professional assessment, not off the internet advice because none of us can see where the dog is coming from in her behavior. When people are over or she seems on edge, go put her somewhere quiet or get her a metal crate and teach her to be in there when guests are over. There are plenty of articles on crate training to show you how, but a dog that bites cannot be around people without a proper assessment.

Thread Information