Thread: Dog Feeding Tips

Default Dog Feeding Tips

Here are some useful dog feeding tips.

Feed your puppy the same kind of food every day. Unlike humans, a dog's digestive system cannot handle changes in food. It can cause upset stomach and diarrhea.

When switching to a new food, gradually transition him to the new food by mixing portions of both foods until you slowly phase the old food out. Your puppy may experience diarrhea if his food is suddenly changed.
    Feed your puppy at the same time every day.

Always have fresh drinking water available.

Keep food and water bowls clean.

Don't overfeed your puppy.

Follow the guidelines on the puppy food package for recommended feeding amounts.

Monitor your puppy's weight and activity level, and make feeding adjustments as necessary.

Don't be alarmed if your puppy's appetite changes. It is normal for your puppy to lose his appetite or experience digestive upset occasionally. If your puppy's upset stomach becomes severe or last longer than a day or two, contact your veterinarian.

If you are mixing water to dry food you should mix 4 parts dry food to 1 part water.

2. Default

Great tips! To go along with this, I'll give you an anecdote. My dog went to go live with my wife's parents for a while because we had to go away. When we came back, he had gained about 1/3 of his weight. This was because they free fed him and didn't exercise him. Now that he's home, we feed him the correct amount and only leave the food out for 30 minutes in the moring and 30 minutes at night. We also take him outside. I can see the weight disappearing almost daily!

Lol... feeding only what you plan to as well is important, I think... my aunt starting feeding her puppy from the table and now as an adult her dog he's severely overweight and he whinges and whines while they're eating... My vet always says "A dog is not a garbage bin or scrap bucket"

Thread Information