Thread: How do i get papers for my ShihTzu puppy??

Talking How do i get papers for my ShihTzu puppy??

Hi guys I'm looking for help i bought my puppy 3 wks ago... the lady that i bought him off gave me a ref number for his papers... she didn't have much English so i couldn't understand what i was ment to do with such a number or how i acquire papers for him... Can anyone help me??

As far as I am aware she should provide you with the papers. Was she a registered breeder?

There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.

kt1902

Does this breeder have an ANKC registered prefix?

That would mean her puppies would have long names like Shiralea Red Hot To Foxtrot - where "Shiralea" is the Breeder's prefix, and the rest is the dog's name. Note that is an actual name of an actual Min Pin Champion.

You may need to ring Dogs west and check.

I'm willing to bet - if the reference number you got is about 15 digits long - it's the puppy's microchip number.
    You can check here -
    Australasian Animal Registry
    or here
    www.car.com.au
    or here
    Pet Address

You will need to transfer the microchip details into your name and you may need help from a vet, with proof of purchase of the dog, to do this.

Do this when you back for the next set of vaccinations.

How old was the puppy when you got it? And what makes you think she was an ANKC breeder? Did you have a written conversation where she said that?

A lot of puppy breeders say that they're registered - but they only mean "registered with the council as a dog breeder" and so permitted to have more dogs than usual and run a business at that place.

Not much English - but more than enough to sell you a pup - not much excuse in my book. If you have it in writing she said you could show the puppy as a pedigree or that she was ANKC registered - you have a right to complain.

As an ANKC breeder - she is supposed to register all her puppies and provide those to the new owners and organise transfer of ownership - and not rehome before the puppy turns 8 weeks old.

Australian National Kennel Council

under their "about" menu - there is a "code of ethics"

and under contact us - are the contact details for all the state ANKC representative bodies
    Australian National Kennel Council
    ie contact details for the dog association in your state.

If you're looking for breed info - they're listed under "group 7 non-sporting" dogs. Not toy or terrier or hound etc.

If she said - in writing/email - she was ANKC registered and she isn't, or that you could show your dogs - you might have a cause for consumer fraud ie get your money back.

If she is a registered breeder she would need to register the litter as Hyacinth has pointed out and transfer the puppy into your name. The breeders have always organised and paid for this for the ANKC registered pups that I have bought and I have usually received their papers in the mail.

It really always pays to do your research on breeders if you are wanting to purchase a puppy that is eligble for resistration with ANKC. You also need to know if it will go on the main or limited register.

I also like to see the results of any hip, elbow, eye or whatever other potential genetic health problems are apporpriate to the breed.

When I bought my Border collie she came with a folder with the copies of her parents hip and elbow scores and the papers that showed her parents clear of a number of genetic eye problems, which meant that she too was clear.

Unfortunately there are breeders out there who take advantage of people's lack of understanding of these issues and also what constitutes a registered dog with pedigree papers. They charge lots of money and dont do any of the tests or registrations.

Hope she is a registered breeder and you get your papers.
    Last edited by Kalacreek; 11-28-2012 at 12:57 AM.

This may be the right thread to point out that most registered breeders are not registered as a business, in fact only a handful go to that extend and in most cases those people will be on land.

A prefix is just that a prefix to the dogs name and under which all puppies will be registered with their ANKC state body. If your breeder advertises etc as eg Firestorm Kennels, then they are likely a registered business. If they are Firestorm Cocker Spaniels, then they are not a business.
    Last edited by MAC; 11-28-2012 at 08:36 AM.

Sorry to say but it seems to me that you paid for an unregistered puppy.
    When a buyer purchases a puppy from me they get the puppies pedigree
    Papers and micro chip paper work in their name.

Lots of buyers get done, I say, research research research before buying.
    Not your fault it's the breeders fault.

hey guys thanks for the replies... I bought him off gumtree i wasnt really looking for a pure bred but when i saw him i loved him and bought him straight away... The lady did provide me with his vaccination card which has breeders name which is Yinggnay(Kelly Koch) ive checked the breeder and it is a proper registered breeder. He was also micro-chipped and vet checked! But i just dont understand the breed ref number she gave me the number is 6100026575... Anyone any idea's??

I would ring up dogs west if you're in WA or go through the ANKC website and find the right dog registry org for your state and ring them up and tell them your story and ask them. Maybe Dogs West have some sort of system where the breeder does references and then they will hand out papers on that basis.

If the number does get you the papers - it might be a good idea to edit your post and change it otherwise someone might use it for identity theft of your dog.

Thread Information