Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another breeders Question

Default Another breeders Question

Ok, there are several Kennels that release dogs on main registry
    And the dog is in co ownership.

I am looking at a very special mating that will happen in the next couple of days
    And if there are some beautiful males in the litter I would like to consider releasing them
    On main in mine & their name so it does give me the option to use that male at a later dare.

The questions I am asking here is,
    What would one say to a buyer , as it has turned me off in the past.
    And as there are 2 prices , one for main, one for limited,
    Would the price still be a main price even though the dog will be co owned?

The main reason the breeders I've had co-ownership with is not so much that they can get a free mating from the dog, afterall it comes from their lines anyway so in a lot of cases it's not all that useful to them, but so that they have a say as to which bitches it goes to.

Would I expect to pay full price for a co-owned dog - no. Nor would I charge full price for one of mine.

I don't own popular or expensive breeds so reasonable prices are charged and the way I look at it is that every puppy in the litter costs me the same, takes the same amount of care,love & money etc. So it wouldn't matter to me if it was going to be a pet or potentially a Grand Champion, because that's all it ever is "potentially", when selling a puppy, that puppy is worth the same amount to me. So I charge the same amount for Limited puppies as I do for Full register puppies. Of course the Limited owners get a desexing refund at a later date.

What you are asking is somebody to keep their male dog entire, who may or may not like that idea, or who may or may not like the idea once he becomes mature, and perhaps once he's had a mating and knows what it's all about. If that person is a regular pet owner then I think they deserve not be charged extra when they could be quite happy taking another puppy in the litter.

So you need to be upfront and say, I'd like a mating from the dog pup if he turns out OK and therefore he's only on offer to a home that is willing to be in co-ownership. Explain what that means. Eg. His microchip will be in their name, with their address and the dog will live with them.

You could also explain that once he reaches maturity if he hasn't progressed the way you want then he would be transferred into their name only on the limited register.

Explain that you are doing it to protect the dog.
    Last edited by MAC; 11-25-2012 at 11:42 AM.

Mmmmm I see.

There are several breeders I know of that sell their pups for $3000
    That's desexed and co ownership no questions about it.
    I really don't know how they do it but they do.
    When I first heard about it, I thought it was seriously a joke.
    I thought, who would spend that sort of money on a dog and have it
    In a co ownership name.
    But they seem to..

I know some people do but I would never pay 3k for a dog what if it died at 2 years of age for some reason. My pups a bullmastiff both perants are papered but he isn't and for me a peice of paper isn't going to make him anymore bullmastiff my limit was about $1500 for a pup but in the end I payed a heap less than that because I got him from a litter or 11 males 2 females and he was the second last pup

I paid A LOT of money for my boy that died from snake bite and that was heart breaking.
    I paid A LOT more for my boy billy ray.
    Lot of money and for the right line I would pay it.

But with all these contracts and rules its really all to
    Weird.

I have several in co-ownership. One cost me the standard pet price, and his breeders have say-so over any stud duties he performs.

I have a bitch in co-ownership. Her breeders wanted to keep her close as she was their pick of the litter but they weren't in a position to keep a bitch at the time. They contacted me and asked if I would take her, that she would be our dog, and we could show her etc. But they retain breeding rights. She cost me nothing.

I wouldn't take a bitch on breeder terms from anyone I didn't implicitly trust (which is close to no one!). Ditto to a dog, for me personally. I was burnt in a co-ownership with another dog and the only way to resolve the issues was to return him to his breeder. They didn't actually want that and kicked up a stink, but wanted to control every facet of the dog's existence and life while he lived with me - to extremes I wasn't prepared to go to for ethical reasons. It was unpleasant.

If I pay full price for a dog it is for full ownership - no questions, no negotiating. I'm not going down the path of living under other people's whim and wishes again. But I know your breed has major problems with BYB and pigging breeders wanting them. So a tricky one indeed.

We when with main reg
    its easer for my mum and we keep close eye on our dogs
    And we olny sold to good homes olny
    Oh limited reg means the dog is to be desext which wecks the lines and the chance to breed the dog later in life
    Oh and matty you can get your dog papers with out the mum and dad on it
    It's called a companion dog reg that mean just it's first name is put on paper and breed and that's it and that still alode to show with that
    Last edited by ruby mc nugget; 11-25-2012 at 10:50 PM.
    If you are reading this then you're doing just fine as to
    I'm not going to tell ya I lost the ' , . ? ! " Keys to my head
    No grammar no problem I don't know how to fly it any way Bye

Your breed is the type of breed that has a lot of non show people breeding strictly for monetary gain. This is perhaps why so many go in dual ownership.

I personally would prefer to run on the dog you are thinking of keeping, if he's worth breeding from he's probably worth keeping. If he doesn't turn out then you rehome him as a young adult, desexed.

I love it when people say "that's so horrible, and don't you get upset (yep) etc, instead of doing that why don't you put out into homes entire puppies in co-ownership", the why is because it's not simple and straight forward, two people with say over the dog.

The other thing to ask yourself is rather than keep a pup from this planned litter why not do the mating again at a later date, keep a pup then therefore staggering the ages of your dogs which is looking to the future.

In all honesty if I didn't plan on keeping a pup from a litter myself to go into the show ring then their is no way I'd plan a litter or even have entire dogs/bitches and I'd probably also just have two, maybe three dogs max.
    Last edited by MAC; 11-26-2012 at 06:44 AM.

Matty, every puppy should go with papers, it's just a matter of what those papers are. Limited or Full Register.

Purchase price of a dog to my way of thinking is always the cheapest part of dog ownership. Accidents happen, there is nothing we can do about it. Peoples chosen breed may or may not come with a high purchase price.

Yes mac the purchase price can be the cheapest part of it all.
    I guess it's a matter of what your looking for in a dog.
    I was looking for heavy boned deep mahogany in colour
    And finally got it, so I paid the price.

I do know of another kennel that only releases 1 on main
    And the price is $4000 plus freight to me if I was wanting one.
    All other puppies are sold on limited registration for $2000
    And they are all sterilised .. And this breeder has like a 3 year wait list.

Lot of money to risk....

Thread Information