Thread: fetch, help me

Default fetch, help me

i have a 9 month american bulldog and i want him to fetch, he will chase it and get it but then he will just lay down and and start chewing the toy. i would like to know how i can get him to bring it back and drop it so we can proceed and enjoy the game.

I managed to get my dog to bring the ball back by clapping my hands and acting moderately excited and very slowly waking backwards at the same time. Also, maybe try different toys and use one he is less likely to chew? I use hi-bounce balls.

With Jack i played fetch in the backyard to start with, throw the ball 1 - 2m and then reward anything like a retrieve and then keep making im bring it back closer each time to gain the reward. Like anything, repetition and rewarding increments toward the ultimate goal

Start the game in a very small environment - like your laundry where there is nothing else for your dog to do. Every time he starts to chew on the ball - take it away from him, and play with it by yourself - like it's the most exciting thing... then try the fetch again. You want to start with only 1m to 2m tops - less if your controlled environment is smaller.

If he brings the ball back to you, party like there is no tomorrow - and maybe let him chew on it, or produce a fave treat and give that to him.

Do this for five to ten throws - no more. Don't worry if he doesn't get it. Maybe break it down and reward if he looks at you with the ball...

Or if you want to make it super easy for him, break it down into tiny weeny steps like this.
    Keepers - Shirley's Retieve how to train an obedience style retrieve broken down into a squillion steps - you can probably skip the jump stuff.

PS you can also get a ball on a rope eg the orbee ball with rope like these
    http://www.vetnpetdirect.com.au/plan...ball_with_rope

and then you can play tug with your dog when he fetches by way of making fetch more fun for him to bring it back to you, and you can attach a long line to it or lead rope - and reel it in until he gets the idea he's supposed to be bringing it to you - again - when you get it back to you - make a party with your dog so he has huge fun when the ball gets back to you.
    Last edited by Hyacinth; 11-12-2012 at 09:26 PM.

and my two pence worth on building ball drive: orby ball, can be made by tying a ball/toy to a piece of string.
    play swap, not fetch with 2 balls
    make out that playing with a ball is AMAZING, act the excited fool, its catching.

I read a good article on teaching fetch once, but of course I cannot find it now. That's where they mentioned the clapping trick, because as soon as you call the dog they usually drop the ball. I was amazed how well that worked with Banjo (didn't stick with it though and she completely lost interest in the ball now). The other thing they said is to not spend too much time giving praise and hanging onto the ball in the process but to throw the ball again almost immediately when they bring it back - throwing the ball again should become the desired reward for bringing it back.

Meika picked it up pretty easily, when we first got her she would burry every toy we gave her because she had no idea what they were. Once we taught her that playing was fun, she LOVED it, when she picked up the ball we used to just yell "yay good girl!" and act very excited (with the clapping like Beloz said) and she would bring it back. I think it also helped that at home we used to repeat the word "ball" when she had the ball, now whenever we're at the park all I have to say is "bring the ball?" and she will go pick it up. So if she's halfway through fetching, loses intrest and then comes back to me looking for the ball, I just have to say the words and she's off to find it, and brings it back. Or sometimes, mainly when it's a hot day, she will lay down in the shade and start to chew so again I just need to call out "bring" and she comes back with the ball.

I'm not sure if this will work or not but it may also help to have him around dogs who fetch correctly. Our other dog, Molly, NEVER plays with toys, but at the park the other day somebody had left an old, deflated soccer ball and she loved it, we would throw it for her and she would bring it back and drop it at our feet. It's like she automatically knew what fetch was even though she has never played it before and never even really chased a toy. The only thing I can think of is that she chases Meika while Meika chases the ball, so she's just learnt that if you chase a toy, you bring it back and it gets thrown again

Hi 'k9leader06',

Have a look at this video:

Teach Your Dog to Fetch Anything!- clicker dog training tricks - YouTube

Most important that you both have fun !

Hmm kiko pup did not mention what to do when your dog eats the piece of cardboard - or how to deal with victory laps...

Sometimes a new toy is way more fun than anything I have to offer.

Thread Information