Thread: Advanced Training 2yo Dingo x

Default Advanced Training 2yo Dingo x

Hi all,

Love to hear any opinions or info source suggestions about training - and also his breed :-)

I took on a 2yo dingo x a few months back. I now have "primary custody" in a timeshare arrangement with his other owners who no longer can commit time to him but love him dearly so take him some weekends and help with costs.

They were working in remote central Aust and he was a semi-domesticated camp dog that they fell for and brought back to Melbourne.

He's very chilled and clearly very intelligent. We think he's crossed with a kelpie.

I'd like to start training him to use this intelligence and fix a few behavioural issues - I've done basic dog training when working on "easier" breeds at kennels but what I'm really after is more high intensity advanced stuff, working dog style perhaps, that an ex-half-wild dog will learn.

He knows sit well and there's a 75% success rate with drop, leave it, down etc.

Am a student so looking for resources to do it myself or cheaply

I know I'll be starting with more basics

Also, behavioural issues: food/toy aggression, when there's no foster dog/s to keep him company whining/howling when left alone, escape attempts (dunno if can fix this? We made our fence higher, but he's able to scale almost 3metres and if no one is there- another dog in yard or people at least in house (he would wait til we left), he used to go walking).

2012-10-28 23.30.59.jpg2012-10-28 23.32.16.jpg
    Last edited by Yazzle; 10-28-2012 at 11:16 PM.

near Sydney NSW

What a great looking dog! What's his name?
    I don't have the experience to answer your questions but I'm sure others will.
    Good luck!

Thanks I do hope so, the last time I asked anyone it was all throwing negative opinions about owning him at me rather than actual advice, despite my assuring them that I'd gotten opinions from a wildlife conservation group, a vet and an animal behaviourist before taking him.

His name is Maku, which means witchetty grub in the Pitjantjatjara language, from his home area. It also means jodpurs (literally "horse-pants") in Chinese, but that's a coincidence.

Well obviously you know what you've got and breaking nature will not be easy.

Dingo's can and will scale or dig or eat their way out. So you will have to make your yard dingo proof. Habits have been formed and he's experienced freedom. I say this not in a negative way, I had an escape artist despite daily training, walking and plenty of room, but when we moved from suburbia to semi rural the rabbits etc called her and in the end we had to put an electric wire along the top of the fence. Illegal but necessary because we live where people have sheep, goats, chickens etc.

Aggression issues, again, the dog has learned to protect it's food so you are breaking a pattern.

Possession is 9/10th of the law with dogs so I'd hand feed from the bowl. Or my preferred method would be to put down "boring" food in the bowl and walk past and drop in tasty meat bits, chicken neck that sort of thing. Dog now sees you as bringing good things when you go near it's bowl. The idea is to get closer and closer.

I think - in Melbourne - I'd be referring to him exclusively as a keplie x. Kelpies have a bit of dingo in them anyway.

I've been reading a thread on another forum about dingos and as best I can tell - they can be great pets - unlike some wild creatures like wolves. Dingos have a domestic ancestry ie it's likely they came to Australia with humans. But they do like their freedom and you would need to keep yours in a completely escape proof run (concrete floor, and a roof), when you're not home. Most of what I read says they hang round with you when you are home - it's just when you shut them out or leave that they decide to go do their own thing. It's also very hard to train them not to kill small critters (food). So best not to leave them alone with the guinea pigs or cats or rabbits.

And they are very smart - so beware of the dog training you and not the other way about. Give their mind heaps of work. Lots and lots of trick training.

And I agree with MAC about the hand feeding. Look up NILIF and clicker training. If you are the tiniest bit inconsistent - the dog will take advantage.

oh yes, he's registered as "kelpie x" - though I hope on here I can get some good advice given both sides to him.

He's been absolutely great with our cats even when we're not in the room, but yeah not leaving him home with them EVER.

After reading a few threads about clickers I'm definitely going to buy one.

You can just use the word "yes" or some similar short word - "good" - just say "yes" and give a treat - repeat 5 times (should be enough for a dingo to get it), and off you go. A clicker is really good when you're trying for something very specific (put paw here) - but not so good when it's not such a specific thing (most of agility).

Anyway - don't wait until you have a clicker to start... a dingo will probably work for you if you laugh at him. ie he will take that as encouragement / reward.

Thread Information