I need coat thinning/trimming advice please, as I have no experience. My other half wants to get our dog trimmed for the Summer, for her own comfort. I hate the idea as she has such a beautiful coat, very much like a Golden Retreiver only lighter/thinner/shorter/silkier/scruffier. He keeps pushing this so my questions are...
1. Do we really need to trim, or is thinning appropriate?
2. Are there dog groomers who actually trim the hair like a human hair cut, maintaining the overall style and look, or do they always just run clippers through? I've seen professionally trimmed GRs with one-length body fur and long hair on their heads/tails, which looks absurd to me. That's my main fear - the crew cut, yuck!
3. Does anyone happen to know an excellent grooming service on Sydney's Northern Peninsular?
FYI, here she is: Bonnie, 2 years old - YouTube
You'll see that...
- The densest fur is on her neck, front of her chest and withers.
- She has scruffy sticky-up bits on her bum and withers.
- The fur on her flanks is fine, with minimal undercoat - no trimming needed IMO.
- Her ears are gorgeous. Anyone touches 'em with scissors they'll be sorry...
She may also have the opportunity to feature in some ads soon due to her pretty face, very waggy nature and generic family dog looks, so I don't want to risk that opportunity by wrecking her coat!!