Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a Coonhound, any help appreciated!

Default Looking for a Coonhound, any help appreciated!

Hey,

I am looking for a coonhound in Australia.
    I have been looking into this for quite sometime now and thought that I post something to see if anyone else may know something.
    I cannot afford to bring a couple hounds from the states yet but until I can I will continue to search in Aus.
    Now I know that they are out there, there was a breeder in QLD but they don't have any, anymore.
    I keep hearing that there is someone in Victoria who has some but they are not registered so it's really hard to find them. I found a man in Vic. who had crossbred pups and he had a pure bluetick coonhound bitch, he didn't tell me where he got her from though.
    I keep running into dead ends on this, I mean, they're like rats, I know they are there I just can't find them!
    If anyone can help me on this quest it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Ryan

They are like hens teeth here in Australia, partially due to being outbred so much....If you are into a type of dog and not so much a specific breed, the Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dog, will do pretty much the same. And there are more of them. especially in Queensland. they are great for tracking and scenting work

Good luck anyway
    Pets are forever

There were a few Blueticks about in the 90s, but haven't been any in mainstream dog activities for a while. You could possibly try contacting some Bloodhound breeders as they may know of anyone that has imported Coonhounds in recent years.

Another possibility would be to contact some breeders in the States, who might know through their breed community and activities over there, if any have been sent to Australia in recent times.

Hey, thanks for the reply's. I have deffinately been seeing the outbreeding in them I just wish someone felt like pure breeding them...
    I am familiar with cats(catahoula) I have thought of one of them, but looking at the American dogs compared to Aussie ones I feel that they don't quite match up.
    But I believe I found Black and Tan foxhounds in Aus. so I'm trying to get in contact with them. There is a lady in NZ with B&T coon dogs but she is of no help.
    I appreciate the comments made here, thank you.

https://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds...s/foxhound.asp

here are some foxhound breeders for you, as for the coonhounds, go to hunting forums and list there

Hunting Pigdogs of Australia - Home
    Boar Dogs with Hog dog action and huge boars
    Ozziedoggers - Pig Hunting Australia

I know its pig dog sites but everyone always knows everyone and might know someone with a litter

There's a dog like a beagle on stilts called a Harrier - which I saw at a breed show in Victoria last time I was there. Not sure how they'd go against anything bigger than a fox, but they were nice looking dogs.

Cant help but if you do find any Ryan I'd appreciate a holler
    GageDesign Pet Photography
    Site still in construction so will post link when it's finished.

Hey, thanks all for the input.
    I'm looking into foxhounds for the moment, so we'll see how that goes.
    Harriers are nice looking dogs.
    ChoppaChop, I'm heading to the states shortly and I will try and see if I can take a gander at some coon dogs and get some breeder interested in exporting some. If I find some, I'll deffinately be hollerin!

Don't forget too that quarantine into Australia is set to become easier. Possibly down to 10 days from the States I hear - maybe next year? Makes a biiiig difference in costs if importing.

Really??? Well I didn't know that, that would deffinately make life easier!
    Thanks for that!

Thread Information