Thread: Nearly hit a dog on the road today

Default Nearly hit a dog on the road today

I first have to say that I am normally very aware of my surroundings when I am driving. I have never not spotted a stray dog on the side of the road before. I have managed to stop for plenty a bird and the odd cat or echidna well before I reached them.

But today...

I was driving home from work along a 2-lane 60kph road. It's a narrow road, but a busy one in peak hour. First I spot an ACD standing in the middle of my lane. He was impossible to miss, so I slowed down well before I reached him, holding my breath because he was facing the oncoming traffic. But he decided to not risk the crossing and turned back. Not even 100m further this old, slightly overweight GRD seems to come out of nowhere and by the time I spot him he is already in the middle of the road. I hit the brake but I immediately realised there's not enough time to stop. Thank dog the dog stopped dead when he heard my car close to him! But I was pretty shaken.

Swore the rest of the way home about people not locking up their dogs when they live near a busy road. Though who knows how he got out. I think I was also just very annoyed with myself for not seeing him in time. Maybe he blended in with the late afternoon light.

It's not a nice feeling hey Beloz.
    My guy's never leave the house without a collar and lead....they have zero road sense.
    Believe me though, it's a lot worse when you actually do hit them....especially when its your own bloody dog !!!! I'll never forget it. I slept in the loungeroom for a week babysitting my sore and sorry pooche.

Quote Originally Posted by reyzor View Post
    Education is important, but big biceps are more importanter ...
    DONT SIC YOUR DOGMA ON ME !

I once drove over a friend's cat... And mine likes to hang around the car when I leave, so I reverse an inch at a time until I can actually see her. They're tough lessons indeed.

I always slow right down when I see them, dogs, cats, birds, ducks... lol doesn't matter. I'd hate to be not paying full attention one day and hit one. I've never actually hit an animal while driving, a rainbow lorrikeet once flew into my car though, I was mortified!

There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.

I hit and killed a lab when I was 17. Just got my licence and was driving my dads toyota to pick up horse feed. Two dogs were rolling around playing in a front yard and I slowed down. A lab ran around a caravan parked and the toyota was too high for me to see it. I ran over it with two wheels and stopped when I felt the bump. I looked into the revision mirror and saw it convulse and die. The owners came out and carried it away - I was crying in the truck. They came back out and told me it wasn't my fault as they saw it happen and went inside to ring my dad. He came and picked me up. God, I can remember my horror and that was over 20 years ago. It still comes back to me if I see a loose dog on the road. I'm glad your day wasn't as bad.

I hit a cat and went to the nearest house. It was theirs and their child was one of my preschool students... it was awful.

My old Lab used to sleep under the cars in the shed. The old man backed over him twice....musta been the luckiest dog alive as he never got seriously injured. It became habit to look under the cars before anyone left. Took me ages after he passed away to stop looking under the car.

When i hit my dog i used to let him out at the bottom of our long driveway and he would race me up the hill to the house......did it hundreds of times....he loved it.

I heard the 'thump' and knew straight away what happened. I stopped and ran to him...he just stood there shaking. He was a big dog then (it was scooby my ridgy) and i just picked him up like it was nothing.....adrenalin just pumping through me. I didnt stop at one red light (i did check first) and got to the vet in 5 minutes flat. I wasnt stopping for anything.

I had no idea what his injuries where...just a lot of blood everywhere so i was panicking like never before...thinking i was racing to save his life. Turns out that all he had was some serious road rash and bruising.....thank dog.

I would try and take his weight when he tried to stand and walk,... every night and day i never left him...midnight toilet breaks, the lot. I've never felt so guilty about somthing. I owed him big time......but he never once seemed pissed at me for running him over. I got big kisses everyday. Thats why i love dogs so much.
    Scooby showed me that dogs are so loyal...even after you nearly accidently kill them.

I bet a cat wouldnt do that.

lol sean so what happend to your dog in one of the photos i see hes wereing a cast whats was that for?
    If you are reading this then you're doing just fine as to
    I'm not going to tell ya I lost the ' , . ? ! " Keys to my head
    No grammar no problem I don't know how to fly it any way Bye

Quote Originally Posted by ruby mc nugget View Post
    lol sean so what happend to your dog in one of the photos i see hes wereing a cast whats was that for?
    He wanted to arm wrestle the master !!! I kicked his but.!!!

Lol...no seriously he had to have a operation on his elbow....it swelled right up from him always plonking down hard on it. He's all good now.

Thread Information