Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dominance issue

Thanks for all your advice. I will try what you have given.
    He isn't actually humping, he is just standing on top of her when she is laying down. That's why I put it down to dominance more than sexual. I guess the humping will come next if I don't get on top of it now.

Basically Bernie & Di said it all.

Desexed 11yo female is starting to lose her position as top dog. As a young strong and entire male he is destined for leadership. Let him have it or he will have to escalate his attempts.

I also show so all my dogs with the exception of my oldest girl are all entire. She is no longer top dog.

He's also a terrible teenager at this age. Basic obedience to go along with his show training will help you keep control of him at the shows. Watch him and don't let him eye ball other males. Because if he takes on an older male he will get told and you may be marked with an aggressive dog which is a process in itself if it gets reported.

Keep his body and his brain well drained during his teenage period and make sure you are his leader. But not by upsetting the nature of things between your two dogs. His hints are subtle, but your bitch will understand them. If she's doing nothing back she's understanding it and is ready to give it up to him as it should be in the dog world.
    Last edited by MAC; 09-09-2012 at 03:04 PM.

Melbourne Australia

Oh damn dont know what happened to my internet my entire post just deleted itself. Oh well I'll type it again- if two posts come up sorry-

My dog Dexter (male, spayed. bullmastiff) was like this too. At his training sessions he would jump on top of the other pups. Being he was larger then most of the others and that he was only going to get bigger, thus needed to be controlled and aware that we were his pack leaders, the trainers told us to dominate him. As soon as he would try and get on top of another pup, we were to gently throw him on his back, in pure silence, no words, no yelling, nothing that would indicate a playful act, and then kneel over him and hold him down until he stops trying to wriggle out of our grip (until he becomes submissive). This was the dominating act of any dog and the trainers told us he would not get upset as it is natural to them.

I dont know if this is the 'right' thing to do, but all the trainers seemed to think so, and it actually worked for us. Dexter would try to dominate other dogs but after a little while it stopped and was easy for me to tell him 'no', he listens very well. (please note that this was always done on grass, never do this on a hard surface as it might hurt the dogs back as they try to wriggle out and this is not the intention). It didnt take long before the dominance stopped. Agin not sure if this is something every trainer says, it seemed different to us at the time, but it worked for us.

gawd I hate Cesar Milan. But there were a couple of good points.
    1. don't do any of those techniques without the supervision of an experienced dog trainer. And the best ones I know won't use any of those techniques anyway. Those technqiues would get most people bitten.

2. work on preventing the fights or bad behaviour.

Bit worried about BCBruce's terminology.
    negative re-inforcement is a technical term meaning to take something away (negative ie subtract), to encourage (re-inforce) a behaviour - another word for this is "escape training" ie apply something the dog doesn't like ie an aversive and then remove it when the dog does what you want. This is how shock collars can be used to train a dog to come to you (sort of).

Positive punishment is when you add something aversive to discourage or reduce a behaviour eg this would be hitting the dog with the remote when it does something naughty.

Personally if I did this - I would expect to find the remote in tiny weeny pieces, at the next available opportunity. Ie dog would remove the aversive tool completely. She's not stupid.

Thread Information