So I haven't been on for a while (Dealing with life at the moment) but I really wanted to post this to educate someone, in hopes of saving a dog's life one day.
Last night at approximately 11pm my boy Luke consumed approximately 90g of Green and Black's dark chocolate (85% cocoa), plus a tiny bit of Lindt passionfruit chocolate. We took him to the vet and they induced vomiting. He went in weighing 20.1kg, came out weighing 19.3kg.
On the way home he was very hyperactive but for the moment we'd put it down to excess adrenalin from his ordeal. After we got home, we realised it was the symptom of the chocolate absorption, whatever he had already absorbed into his system.
I decided to record part of his behaviour to show you how a dog on a "chocolate high" behaves. I would not normally allow him to exhibit this behaviour without addressing it, however I wanted to capture it for education. At the end you will see him calm down while he is being held. I'd like to say this video was recorded at approximately 1:30am and he did not settle properly until about 3:30am, with much fighting on his part. *yawn*
Hyperactivity after chocolate - YouTube