Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I met 2 new species today.

Yeah, they sure are everywhere...i'm trying to be brave enough to cut the tail of a dead one for my fly tying but i dont have the guts to do it. Maybe one day. My daughter wont be impressed if she found out i did that. She thinks all animals are awsome...even dead fox road kills. Yuk !!

Quote Originally Posted by reyzor View Post
    Education is important, but big biceps are more importanter ...
    DONT SIC YOUR DOGMA ON ME !

oooh, I love weimeranas! There's a girl I see walking one, sometimes two, around where I work. She probably thinks I'm a bit strange 'cause I just stare at her dogs whenever I see them, lol. I think they're really pretty and I like their build.

Maremma's are the Breed that my friend rescues...she has 14 at her place at present. great dogs for the work they do. She also has a chesapeake bay retriever and a newfie...madhouse
    Pets are forever

Weimeranas are a bit more like German Short Haired Pointers or Vislas than ridgebacks. Some Weims are friendly and some are really nasty. Most are pretty goofy - like the GSP. Unless you are a rabbit or small flappy bird.

Maremma - are not supposed to be friendly except with their flock. But as long as you move slowly and don't threaten their charges - its all good. I've read stories where they will let dingos cross their territory - as long as the dingos do not threaten the sheep/goats. Some of the sheep farmers in dingo country have had huge success with Maremma.

Oh, Weimers are GORGEOUS dogs! Just wait till you meet a long haired one - stunning!

Yes, very, very lean, much like Boxers, there should be at least a hint of rib showing through the coat... they are a single coated breed like the Boxer, so no undercoat to help pad them out to give a more substantial appearance.

Incredibly friendly, but also very protective of their clan. I wouldn't chance trying to enter their yard if they were standing guard over junior members of the family!

Very, very, VERY smart dogs too. Look like dillpots, but in their case, appearances are very deceiving!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Yeah, they sure are everywhere...i'm trying to be brave enough to cut the tail of a dead one for my fly tying but i dont have the guts to do it. Maybe one day. My daughter wont be impressed if she found out i did that. She thinks all animals are awsome...even dead fox road kills. Yuk !!
    Lol every time I see road kill I get sad Its normally a roo but yesterday I seen a kookaburra which made me extra sad! Lol I am a sook!

There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.

SEan, Carry a sharp hatchet. That way when you come across a road kill fox it is a quick cut and run.

Weims remind me of Dobs to some extent and I think they may be related. Both come from the same area of Europe. As with any breed you get lovely dogs and you get abused dogs. You met a loved pair.
    Nev Allen
    Border River Pet Resort

I like viems too. Bernie had 2 friends that were viems. A man walked a male and female and took to bernie who was only 12 weeks when we began walking together. The dogs were fine, but trod on him a lot. Goofy? the male was goofy, but the female was sharp! High prey drive on the rabbit hunt. And often they would hunt in the pair. Awesome to watch them team up and take a rabbit. (sorry bunny luvers). But the guy split with his mrs, and she took the female. Mr Goofy lost his shine, head down, not running and just trotting. He was grieving. Just like the guy was.

Foxes are rife where i grew up. Covered in fleas, ticks and all sorts of nasties that you dont need near your dogs. Fox hunting is now illegal. So it became a bit DIY for a while there. We laid traps and killed those that came into the garden.
    I now see lots of road kill foxes. And far less cats. thankfully.

Sean,

I am so jealous - and - you are so lucky, that during your normal work day you get to see all these wonderful examples of pups - oh - except for that 'Devil Dog' !

Thanks for the replies guys and gals...yes Riley, i do enjoy meeting all sorts of dogs everyday...even the cranky ones, they keep the day interesting. Unfortunately i also get to see a lot of bored and somtimes poorly treated dogs too. I was on the verge of ringing the RSPCA a few weeks ago but decided to give the owner 1 last chance to sort his dog out. Dunno if it's a good or bad thing but the dog is no longer there .
    Today i got to meet a young Bulldog x Boxer who was a little champ...his overweight Labrador mate didnt appreciate me though and gave my hand a bit of a warning nip. LOL...all good, he was just letting me know who's boss in his backyard.
    With a bit of luck i will be seeing my favourite dog of them all tomorrow.... (except Mojo of course)....a super friendly Labrador cross who dosnt leave me alone the whole time i'm there...he does the 360 degree spins and everything on his way up the driveway to greet me then jumps all over me and gives lots of kisses. The kind of welcome that most would consider a bit rough or rude....but i love every minute of it !!!
    Mojo gives me the big sniff test when i get home every day...lucky he's not the jealous type.

Quote Originally Posted by reyzor View Post
    Education is important, but big biceps are more importanter ...
    DONT SIC YOUR DOGMA ON ME !

Thread Information