Thread: Blood in Puppy Poo

Default Blood in Puppy Poo

Hi everyone,
    Apologies in advance if this is a bit gross, but need your urgent expertise if possible.

We just got a little cavoodle puppy about a week and a half ago and she has been experiencing a few bouts of soft stools/diahorrea with blood in it.
    She has had her 1st vacc. and due for the second booster in two weeks time. Otherwise she is happy, energetic, eating and drinking well.

We have taken her to two vets and both of them said it might be caused by stress. The first vet advised that we worm her again which we did, but it didn't stop the problem. So we just took her to another vet yesterday afternoon and the vet examined her, everything is okay and just asked us to put her on a bland diet of chicken and rice for two days to see if there is improvement and monitor her. I asked her could it be giardia and she said that if I'm worried I can give her Drontel Allwormer tablets for 3 consecutive days, but after searching online it is only advised to do that if the puppy is confirmed with giardia. One reason I'm hesitant is because she gets the runs after Drontal, so I don't feel confident to give that to her for 3 days straight which will make her existing loose stool condition worse.

Just wondering would "stress" or "change of food" caused blood in puppies poo? She was fed Hill's Science and I am slowly mixing Innova Puppy into her meals.

Your help would be greatly appreciated, TIA!

Hi Gem Gems

When I got my pup 6 months ago, I had the same problem. Freaked me out!
    Diahorrea and big squirts of blood. I took her to the vet straight away. She was checked out and it was put down to poss. worms, and change in diet.
    She got wormed straight away, and her diet is pretty much the same till this day...The diahorrea lasted 2-3 days and she was fine.
    Very scary though-i know how you feel.
    I would just keep an eye on her for the next 48 hrs. and it should be fine but If you notice the pup not eating, not drinking, lathargic, any unusual behaviour-go back to vet straight away.
    All the best
    Let us know if pup's feeling better

Thank you Magdalena, advise much appreciated! The chicken and rice seems to have calmed her tummy, fingers crossed that everything will be okay once I start introducing her back to her normal diet.

Thread Information