Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Puppy Research

Thank you all for your feedback!

We have spotted a miniature poodle, and I wondered if I could get some thoughts on it.

When contacting a number of breeders, I sent an email to a person advertising a mini poodle online. I was under the impression I was contacting a registered breeder, but in fairness that was an assumption, and nothing in the advert stated it was.

I got a call back today and after asking some questions I thought there should be an answer to, I realized this wasn't a breeder, but someone whose poodles had bred, probably unintentionally. Sadly the mother died soon after the birth, and the pups have been bottle raised. They have been fully health checked and are healthy, but very very small. From the looks of things this wasn't someone planning an enterprise to sell pups, but is doing their best to deal with the situation.

I'm hesitant to buy from an unregistered breeder, but am also minded to take a pup who has had a sad start to life and give it a loving home.

Am I being silly to be considering this pup? If I do go ahead, is there anything I should be checking considering that I can't find out too much about the parents of the dog? (not even sure how to confirm it is actually bred from pure poodles other than taking the owners word!)

Thanks so much,

Rural Western Australia

I grew up with a miniature poodle and she was a great dog but extremely energetic. I also know a toy poodle that has a great temperament.

Poodles can have some genetic diseases progressive retinal atrophy (PRA), Addisons and Hip dysplasia to name a few. The health check that you talk about wont reveal these, they involve specific screening and selection by a reputable breeder. So you do run the risk of an expensive haelth issue revealing itself in the future or you may be lucky. I took a chance on one of my dogs and ended up spending $6000 on surgery for elbow dysplsaia (revealed itself at 5 months old) and she has a congential urinary tract problem (revealed itself at 13 weeks old) which requires lifetime medication. Neither of which was apparent when I picked up a healthy puppy.

Hopefully someone else can give you more specific info on taking on a bottle raised pup as I have no experience there. I can understand your desire to help.

The other amazing family dog to consider is a whippet. They are great with children, dont require a huge amount of exercise although they do need regular exercise. We had whippets when I was a kid and they were fantastic family dogs. My young nieces are currently growing up with 2.

near Sydney NSW

Hi PPP, I love both Min Poodles and Mini Shnauzers! My girl is a Mini Poodle X Cavalier and she is a gem. My only recommendation is to take out pet insurance regardless of the breed you decide on. I have seen friends having huge vet expenses regardless of how carefully they chose their pups.
    Good luck with your search, it's an exciting time

Southern NSW

I love all poodles when they have sensible owners who exercise them and train them...we have so many of all sizes at Obedience, Agility and now Rally Obedience. And some are really good at it too
    Pets are forever

Armidale, NSW

I think a dog is a good as their training.

The reason many poodles are nuts is because they're owners are a bit weird (I think) and tend to humanise them too much. Because they can be so smart they really can take advantage of a situation.

I stayed with my uncle for a couple of weeks and he has a two year old and a four year old (boys). They'd play with Charlotte, run around, chase each other or sometimes just hug her and she was fine. I wanted a dog that was good with children which is one of the reasons why I got a poodle but then a again, each individual is different, and Charlotte has been around children since I got her as a puppy.

I'm not sure about the situation. They "accidentally" bred their purebred poodle to another purebred poodle who both happened to be left alone together and undesexed? Are they asking a lot for the puppies? I'd be a bit cautious, there are known genetic poodle problems and its all very well getting a rescue dog and risking it, but I don't know about this.

melbourne australia

Breed selector just chose a litany of tiny dogs i would not like to own: west highland white? i mean, honestly, id slip a disk just patting it.

I'm hesitant to buy from an unregistered breeder, but am also minded to take a pup who has had a sad start to life and give it a loving home.
    Depends how much money you want to spend at the vet. Could you live with a blind crippled dog?

And puppy mills and back yard breeders often make up sob stories about the last puppy of the litter all lonely and the mother died - so you can't get to meet her or check out her temperment - how convenient. In reality it's probably having more puppies.

Could you live with a high strung snappy poodle? Because that would be another reason they don't want you to meet the mother.

If you want to rescue a dog that's had a sad start in life without rewarding the people who caused that by their neglect or deliberate cruelty - then try
    PetRescue - find your new best friend!

Note there is likely to be a lot more choice around school holidays especially December/January - when most dogs including puppies get dumped.

Thread Information