Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyones dog had a vasectomy?

Quote Originally Posted by xx_sheena_xx View Post
    I won't be able to do agility trials with him if he's not desexed because he is not a purebred dog.

Just remembered - you can do ADAA agility trials as they dont care what the dog is. Only ANKC trials you have to have your dog sterilised if he is not eligble for the main, limited or sporting registers.
    Last edited by Kalacreek; 09-01-2012 at 08:29 PM.

Desexing is advisable for the average joe. And the average joe does own dogs. Not everyone who owns a dog is a dog expert.

I sell puppies on the limited register and I expect them to be desexed, simply because they are not considered good enough to breed from. One that is will go on full register and to someone that is serious about the breed or would like to go in co-ownership or mentored if a newbie to it all.

I have a breed that is very athletic and can in about 5 seconds be on a bitch and tied by about 10 seconds.

If someone thinks a dog won't go to great lengths to get to a bitch, certainly an experienced dog should come see the chew marks in the wooden surrounds of my glass sliding door, that was after he escaped from a crate. Thankfully I was home before he ate thru the back door.

I'm sure the people who live across the valley from us often wonder why a dog is making that awful woeful cry in the middle of the night, no he's not being beaten, or left alone he's in lust because he can smell a bitch in heat.

When the bitch is right in season and receptive, only physical restrain would deter my male, he is afterall a dog doing what comes naturally.

I've got no problem if a person wants to keep their dog or bitch entire, it's up to them. But naturally I see desexing as similar to having insurance on a car, you're covered if you have an accident, a gate left open, me moving in down the road. I know the dog down the road from me comes to visit about every 7 months or so, hanging around my fence lines, making my dogs bark, risking traffic, getting thinner, and dirtying up my yard outside my fences. He's desexed, but not done until older and as an ex shelter dog I suspect he's knows exactly what to do, just won't get stung for child support (so to speak), but it won't help him if he gets tumbled by a car.

Quote Originally Posted by MAC View Post
    Desexing is advisable for the average joe. And the average joe does own dogs. Not everyone who owns a dog is a dog expert.

I
    If someone thinks a dog won't go to great lengths to get to a bitch, certainly an experienced dog should come see the chew marks in the wooden surrounds of my glass sliding door, that was after he escaped from a crate. Thankfully I was home before he ate thru the back door.

I'm sure the people who live across the valley from us often wonder why a dog is making that awful woeful cry in the middle of the night, no he's not being beaten, or left alone he's in lust because he can smell a bitch in heat.

When the bitch is right in season and receptive, only physical restrain would deter my male, he is afterall a dog doing what comes naturally.

I've got no problem if a person wants to keep their dog or bitch entire, it's up to them. But naturally I see desexing as similar to having insurance on a car, you're covered if you have an accident, a gate left open, me moving in down the road. I know the dog down the road from me comes to visit about every 7 months or so, hanging around my fence lines, making my dogs bark, risking traffic, getting thinner, and dirtying up my yard outside my fences. He's desexed, but not done until older and as an ex shelter dog I suspect he's knows exactly what to do, just won't get stung for child support (so to speak), but it won't help him if he gets tumbled by a car.
    Even experienced dog owners get their dogs sterilised. I get mine done for logistical reasons. Wild dogs in my area, livestock and guns and because I have multiple dogs and bitches, none if which I consider of breeding quality and it makes life less complicated and I can leave them running free together without problem.

Talking about average Joe, I remember when I was a teenager and we got our first male dog. We had always sterilised our bitches after our first entire bitch had many phantom pregnancies which were heartbreaking to watch and we eventually sterilised her.

We didnt sterilise our first boy (a Whippet). We moved to the country and we were surrounded by unsterilised bitches on neighbouring properties. We could always tell if there was a bitch on heat because of our males behaviour so we would shut him up, which was a lot of the time. One day he got out and dissapeared. We never saw him again. We searched for him for weeks, on horseback, on foot but I expect he had been shot when he went calling on a bitch. After that we always sterilised our males and they never wandered of our property again.

He was lovely dog and I still wonder what happened to him, it was very upsetting at the time.
    Last edited by Kalacreek; 09-02-2012 at 12:57 AM.

my mates entire APBT ended up getting cleaned up by a car ... because my mate didn't think it was fair to "take his manhood". Although next time i will wait till at least 12 months old(Jack was done at 6 months, give or take), i see absolutely no reason to keep a dog entire unless you intend to breed.

Spiderwick

I'd really appreciate it if you stop making sweeping negative generalisations about desexing dogs and dog owners. This could be construed as abusing other forum members.

Most of us don't want to breed our dogs. Those of us who don't want to breed and have bitches, do not want the bloody hassle of seasons. And if you adopt from the RSPCA or AWL - you don't get a choice about desexing. Those places see so many unwanted dogs - there is zero chance of dogs going extinct in Australia even when everyone who doesn't want to breed their dogs gets them desexed.

I think people who love their dog breed and care about making healthy puppies are the ones that should be breeding and the rest of us will reduce the chances of unwanted puppies and dogs and other problems by desexing.

xx_sheena_xx
    If your mum doesn't want your dog humping stuff around the house - interrupt him when he starts (or shows the warning signs) and give him something else to do - like a drop-stay. Desexing sometimes makes a difference to this, but not as much as interuppting the behaviour. I have a desexed female - who likes to hump my ugg boot - if I let her but I don't and I stop her extremely quickly if she tries it on another dog. She doesn't even try any more.

If your local vet practice won't do the vasectomy - there is probably another one somewhere else that will. Maybe ask your local vet university to recommend someone. But I think it's an unnecessary expense and health risk for the dog if you're prepared to manage him with training and containment when necessary.

Kalacreek - there are no ADAA comps in SA - Do they hold any competitions outside of Queensland?

My Maxi, has two hump toys (one is in retirement until his nose is fixed), he is encouraged to play, but will try to sneek in a hump every now and again. He is stopped with a "URHHH No Hump" Maxi stops mid way sits looks at me then goes back to playing with his toy not humping it.

Maxi is desexed as he is on limited register. This is a good thing due to the fact that he had that genitic thing with his luxating patellas both legs, plus we only wanted Maxi to be our companion as he is our first ever foray into the wonderful world of dog responsibility.

Another thing is he is only allowed to play with these hump toys only under supervision, and he has never tried to hump another dog to my knowlege. His hump toys are a begle looking dog plush toy and a black and tan kelpie plush toy (in retirement).

I dont think he will stop the humping his hump toys when he get the chance to but at least he knows to stop when told "no hump"
    “All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. For after all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog.”
    ― Charles M. Schulz

Quote Originally Posted by Hyacinth View Post
    Kalacreek - there are no ADAA comps in SA - Do they hold any competitions outside of Queensland?
    Yes they have them in WA on a regular basis. I think they have been running for about 3 years maybe longer. Initially they flew the judges over from QLD, but now some of the WA ANKC judges are accredited to judge. I guess some of our agility community over here are pretty committed and wanted the venue to come to WA so made it happen.

I think in QLD you are allowed to have only one associate registered dog when competing in ANKC so maybe thats why it started there?
    Last edited by Kalacreek; 09-03-2012 at 02:58 PM.

He has only ever humped two things in the house, his duck and mums friend... But in his defence mums friend started it
    He was sitting on the couch with her, she put him up there. She had her arm between his front legs reaching down and rubbing his tummy...

I can do agility training with him, but not trials in Victoria.
    He would probably make a perfect agility dog, loves exercise, full of energy, food motivated, toy motivated, praise motivated, responds quickly to comands..

I don't want him desexed because I don't like the sound of incresed risk of bone, prostate and heart cancers...
    Nor do I like the sound of increased risk of him getting canine cognitive dysfuntion disorder... That probably scares me more than cancer...
    Having a dog that loves you more than anything, and loves everything you do together and it slowly forgetting who you are, and even sometimes trying to attack you is heartbreaking

Quote Originally Posted by xx_sheena_xx View Post
    I don't want him desexed because I don't like the sound of incresed risk of bone, prostate and heart cancers...
    Nor do I like the sound of increased risk of him getting canine cognitive dysfuntion disorder... That probably scares me more than cancer...
    Having a dog that loves you more than anything, and loves everything you do together and it slowly forgetting who you are, and even sometimes trying to attack you is heartbreaking
    Of course it is your choice not to desex him. However my understanding was that neutering early was mainly implicated in any risk increases. I leave my boys untill they are done growing and have never had any of the problems you are afraid of. Most of my dogs have survived till 15 to 17 years old with no real problems. I know many neutered dogs and unneutered dogs and I have never observed any real health differences. I have seen both lost to cancers. I have known dogss and lost one myself - unneutered dogs being killed in pursuit of a bitch on heat, in fact that is the only time I have lost a male too young - an unneutered male. In the 40 or so dogs my family have owned I have fortunately never experienced the cognitive dysfunction disorder, nor do I know of one among my friends. Not pleasant though.

Good luck anyway. I doubt if a vasectomy is really called for, just prove to your mum that you can responsibly handle and train an unneutered male and keep him safely away from bitches on heat and you should be fine. I am sure the humping can be discouraged.

As to agility, maybe sometime soon the ADAA trials will come your way and then you can compete.
    Last edited by Kalacreek; 09-03-2012 at 05:28 PM.

To be quite honest I think there are so many other factors that lead to health problems in dogs before desexing. We pump our dogs full of chemicals, many of us on a monthly basis. I don't believe desexing increases the risk of anything nor do I believe leaving them does either. It's more a behavioural thing.

Thread Information