Thread: Dog death from desexing

Default Dog death from desexing

Hey guys, i browse these forums occasionally and i had just had the most depressing thing happen to me. I wish this never happens to anyone.

My jack russell terrier was only two and a half years old and had a false pregnancy, therefore my local vet told me to get it desexed as it was more vulnerable to uterine infections. I accepted thinking it would be a sin not to, i asked if she was capable and he replied yes confidently so we booked the appointment for tomorrow.

I got back from work after midnight and started researching what exactly happens, i found out it had about a 0.25% of dying, i took my chances and was paranoid what if my dog dies? How will i handle it? I snapped myself out of it thinking i was a complete idiot for thinking like an overcautious care bear.
    I read that food and water not to be given after midnight. As i come home, my dog always greets me from sleeping then eats and drinks from her bowl. So i ring up the vet and reschedule it tomorrow, he seemed annoyed and probably thought i was too paranoid. He wanted the procedure to happen even though it was his fault for not telling me the precautions.

The day had come and i was so scared, my dog took an injection and flinched in pain. She never done that and was shaking, she was never like this when we had boosters and worming. The vet seemed like a cranky guy, although at the back of my mind, i wanted to calm her down until the actual operation. I thought to myself, this vet's going to think i have mental issues since i cancelled the appointment beforehand and i always ask silly questions the past visits. ( Now i learnt to do it my way)

I got the call 45 minutes later that she had a heart attack, i hung up the phone and rushed to the vet. Instead of a lively pink tongue, it was purple. I started balling my eyes out. The vet tried showing empathy and saying that he would have never expected this, the last one to die from it was 18 months ago. He does 3 desexes a day. The cause either was from an allergy. He told me it was unpreventable and these things happen. I researched more at home and realised a blood test could have saved her although the vet never told me same with the precautions for the surgery.

My family just buried it straight away and didn't want to do an autopsy as it won't get her back.

My question is, is the vet required to offer me the blood test and he said the surgery was going well until he stitched her up then she twitched and had a heart attack. He tried adrenaline shot too apparently, does that sound possible or do you think it's more of malpractice?

Thanks guys.
    Last edited by Exultant; 06-26-2012 at 02:22 PM.

Rural NSW

I am sorry that this has happened to your dog and you.
    I do not think it is malpractice.
    With any surgery on animals or humans there is always a small percentage of risk and unfortunately your dog seems to have fallen into this small percentage.

Any posts made under the name of Di_dee1 one can be used by anyone as I do not give a rats.

Southern NSW

Every anaesthetic is a risk....the same for humans, as is every surgery.........

I have just recently had two large ops on one of my dogs, And I think I drove the staff nuts at both Melbourne Emergency Vets and our Local vet here. With all my questions about who would be in the room and how experienced they were.

I too lost a Newfoundland dog during Surgery about Six years Ago.........It was also a desex.

Katy had her Orthopedic Surgery with two vets in the Theatre, cost extra, but I wanted to make sure it did not happen again. As Katy was a niece of the dog I lost........

I am really sorry for your loss.........I do know how you feel and it is just too sad.

I am not sure what blod test you are talking about. Katy did only have a blood group and some Electrolytes and Hb done before her surgery and we went the extreme careful way.

Katy was allowed water through the night and even early morning with both vets.......

Her second Surgery she had just locally, it was her desex and Gastropexy, but agin I made sure there were other vets in the building whilst she had that. I am paranoid and super careful.......We have to be I think. to so many people it is "only a dog"

Thinking of you and again I am sorry........A sweet little Angel for Rainbow Bridge
    Pets are forever

I'm sorry for your loss. As with the others, I feel like this is just terribly bad luck.

Having been under general anesthetic myself 11 times (!!) I know that these do carry risks. With humans, they don't allow food or water prior to the operation because this means that if you react to the anesthetic, there is nothing in your stomach to throw up and therefore nothing should enter your lungs (which could cause respiratory distress). It would be unusual for an allergy blood test to be conducted prior to routine surgery, unless there was an indication that there may be a problem. I don't think they would be required to offer that to you. Also, they should have explained and gotten you to sign a waiver or medical disclaimer prior to the surgery, which outlines the risks.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

Victoria, Australia

I am so sorry for both your losses. I am so ignorant and didn't even know any of this.
    No one loves you like your dog does.

Oh my gosh I am so sorry, you must be devastated. It is what we all dread happening when they are in someone else's care. My sympathy it is a huge hole in your life.

se qld

I am very sorry that you lost your little girl like this.

I recall seeing on the consent form a box to tick if you want a pre-op blood test.
    Maybe all vets do not have this option, but I was offered it verbally as well and accepted.
    The Vet asked me to wait for the result before I left. I was too terrified to ask why.
    He came back and said his "blood count" was good so at least I did not worry myself sick
    all day that he was too weak to survive the surgery.

Again, my deepest sympathy.

Sunshine coast Qld

I am so sorry for your loss, and cant imagine what your feeling right now. I can understand your concerns about the attitude of the vet, that would also add to your distress.

It is so hard to find a vet that you feel comfortable with, and it sounds like he was somewhat negligent in explaining the proccess to you especially the food and drink before the procedure, but i think all procedures come with a risk, and you will never know if he was negligent or not.

I think hugs are in order
    The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mohandas Gandhi

Thread Information