Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you afraid of pitbulls poll

Default Are you afraid of pitbulls poll

This is the current NineMSN poll. Looking at the results of their previous polls, the result is predictable, but we can try to make it less of a landslide result by voting.

Vote archive | ninemsn news

My first exposure to pitbulls was quite frightening. I was walking my dogs on the beach when I noticed up ahead some young guys dressed in black with their dogs with the big studded collars taking a dip in the ocean on a section of beach I needed to pass on my way home. One of the younger ones came up to me and told me to turn back or the dogs which he told me were pits may rip mine to pieces. They had stationed a young guy on each side to keep people away.

I needed to pass that way so I skirted around half up the sand dunes. Next moment I had this dog bearing down flat out on me and my dogs, fortunately one of the young guys managed to intercept it and shouted at me to get away and I had to scramble through the sand dunes just to get home. It was quite terrifying and people were turning back with their dogs and fleeing into the sand dunes.

A couple of years later I met a friend who had the most beautiful natured pit bull and that changed my thoughts somewhat on pitbulls, she was such a beautiful gentle dog that had been raised and bred right. It would be outrageous to think of her being seized and PTS.

I think the problem is in many instances their owners. If the beach experience had been the only exposure I had had to pitties I would definitely be somewhat nervous of them. They are not a common breed where this happened and I bet most of the people on that beach that day probably had a bad experience that stayed with them.

These guys wernt locals, they were just passing through so fortunately never saw them again, but goodness knows what damage they wreaked on the breed.
    Last edited by Kalacreek; 06-17-2012 at 03:49 PM.

Thank you Beloz for finding that !

I voted and - yes the results so far are very predictable - which is a monstrous shame !

Quote Originally Posted by Kalacreek View Post
    My first exposure to pitbulls was quite frightening. I was walking my dogs on the beach when I noticed up ahead some young guys dressed in black with their dogs with the big studded collars taking a dip in the ocean on a section of beach I needed to pass on my way home. One of the younger ones came up to me and told me to turn back or the dogs which he told me were pits may rip mine to pieces. They had stationed a young guy on each side to keep people away.

I needed to pass that way so I skirted around half up the sand dunes. Next moment I had this dog bearing down flat out on me and my dogs, fortunately one of the young guys managed to intercept it and shouted at me to get away and I had to scramble through the sand dunes just to get home. It was quite terrifying and people were turning back with their dogs and fleeing into the sand dunes.
    How scary! You think rather than these idiots stationing themselves either side to tell people to turn around they would put their clearly agressive dogs on leashes or not take them somewhere public! It's 'tough guy' idiots like this who give the breed a bad name!

I just think it is a terrible shame that Maltese terriers are not the "tough" dog to be seen out and about with your peers!

I know in the wrong environment they can be just as nasty tempered as pitty types.........but not as likely to kill your pet ior child in an instant if in the wrong hands!
    The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mohandas Gandhi

I am scared of husky's & malamutes for the same reason Kala - one too many bad experiences with them (total of 4) and your right its ownere who have no idea of what they are doing. I suspect most get them for their 'looks' & fluffy fur coat not realising how dominant of a dog they really can be. Even my groomer refuses to handle them anymore for the same reasons. I just wish people would wakeup and realise that all breeds are capable of being 'frightening' or scary.

I have never had any exposure to a pitbull except via the media, so I must admit that I do have a certain fear - one of the unknown I guess, but certainly not of 'the dog' itself. All dogs have the capability to burt, maim and kill, it is the nurture of the animal that dictates the outcome - however, some breeds, including pitbulls, have a greater capability for harm than other breeds, simply as a result of their physicality.

Which is all fine and dandy to know, until you {the general, all encompassing 'you'} encounter one, get nervous because of the media's beat-ups, and the dog feeds on that energy, becomes hyper/excited/manic... and fulfills the expectation of being an 'agreesive' creature - when in fact, had you expected a normal dog, that is what you would have encountered... and that is MY fear... that when I do, one day, get to have a person-to-dog encounter with a pittie, I too shall provide that excitable energy that is of no use to a dog already feared by the masses, and result in a self-fulfilled prophecy.

Clear as mud?

Lol.

So, I won't be answering that poll, because I'm actually not sure whether I am afraid of the dog, the breed, or the 'expected outcome' - none of which are helpful - so I shall wait to give an opinion until I can actually say, "I've met a pittie, and no, I'm not afraid".

I've already voted, but I wanted to say that I am not at all afraid of Pitties. And I have met a couple.

I am however, frightened of irresponsible dog owners.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

I met my first pitty years ago on a building site. I was mates with his owner and the dog always sat in old mates ute.
    One of those dogs that owns the ute so i was always a bit suss on him and never went near him without the owner. If the owner was there he was fine. That was about 10 years ago and hadnt met another one till about 2 months ago.

This new dog belongs to a new tenant in a house on my gas run in the bush out near 1770. Pink nose, muscle bound, guard dog he is !!!!!!

When we pull up in the truck he goes ape$h!t at us and then when we cautiously get out charges full pelt !!!!!!! On the 'attack'...............for a ear rub and a cuddle before he curls up and goes back to sleep !!!!!!

I'm not afraid of either of these dogs but i do have a healthy respect for what they are capable of and i must admit to offering a 'fist' to smell rather than a relaxed hand, just incase one of them decided to take of a digit 'cause didnt like me. Silly, i know but for some reason i always offer a clenched fist to a dog i'm suss on at first.

Quote Originally Posted by reyzor View Post
    Education is important, but big biceps are more importanter ...
    DONT SIC YOUR DOGMA ON ME !

I voted no. It's so sad to see on the poll how many peoples are afraid of Pitbulls.

When I first met a Pitbull, I was afraid but I slowly learnt over time how great the breed is.

Thread Information