Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 238

Thread: The Ups & Downs Of Getting a Pup

  1. #211
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    South West WA
    Posts
    341

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AngelanBatty View Post
    A cross breed suits your need. You need a companion not a dog to work.

    I have a cross breed too, he's a rescue too and I don't have anything against them. My next dog will be a pure bred dog, because it will also be a working dog.
    Cross breeds are capable of working too, my Kelpie x Hunterway is forever rounding things up.
    Owning a dog should be a partnership. Much like a good marriage it should be based on love, trust and devotion until death do you part.
    R.I.P Dali: 10th May 1998 – 20th December 2011

  2. #212

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ClareBear View Post
    Cross breeds are capable of working too, my Kelpie x Hunterway is forever rounding things up.
    My kelpie cross is a brilliant worker too. I chose him because of the ability he showed as a very young pup.

    But my kelpie cross is a rescue dog, he was not specifically bred for any purpose. There was no thought given to his breeding whatsoever.

  3. #213
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    2,388

    Default

    I actually thought it was Mac who first mentioned the 30% but when I go back and check Mac's posts about where I thought it was said they have all been edited so maybe not.

    It now appears Beloz was the first to mention it, however it is obvious from the way Beloz has mentioned it that it is a reference to someone else stating 30%.

    The original statement was in defence of PTS. Something along the lines of "30% of pups are born deaf, thats a lot of understanding homes to have to find"....not exactly that but something like that.

  4. #214
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    4,291

    Default

    Hehe, thanks Lala, I thought I was going mad because I could not remember where I got it from. That 30% figure floats around on the internet too, but I don't know where they got it from.

  5. #215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beloz View Post
    But the registered breeders won't allow you to? I said before that it is a sad fact that dogs need owners so if you cannot find a suitable owner, there is no other choice but to PST. My issue with the code of ethics is that they forbid breeders to home a deaf pup even if they would find them a suitable owner who can deal with a pup like that.

    And my question remains about what they are doing to limit the number of deaf dogs being born. Knowingly breeding litters of which 1/3 will need to be PTS seems a bit cruel.
    This is the first mention of the ratio of pups born deaf/put to sleep.

    1/3 = 30%.

    No one mentioned it previous to this.

  6. #216
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Keira & Phoenix View Post
    This is the first mention of the ratio of pups born deaf/put to sleep.

    1/3 = 30%.

    No one mentioned it previous to this.
    I think they are saying it may have been mentioned but then removed for arguments sake!
    Rubylisious


  7. #217
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    12,581

    Default

    Meh

    Surely we will just get doggy cochlear implants.

    I heard on the radio that in the USA they used to have very draconian laws for epileptic humans - they were expected to be sterilized (desexed) and not allowed to get married!

    Horrible.

    I think owning a deaf dalmation - should be a choice - if someone wants to take on one - then who am I to say they can't. There's a couple of blind dogs at my local dog park and more than one deaf dog, and plenty more who seem to be deaf. And theres more than one crippled dog. The blind dogs - are both from puppy farms - so much for hybrid vigor.

    And lots of dogs go deaf when they get old.

    I don't think it's right to blanket say - no deaf dogs allowed.

    Staffies have a genetic tendancy to two different eye diseases - cataracts and PRA - but I don't think the breed should be snuffed out because of it. Red Setters have a reputation for being unmanageable - but I still think people should be able to choose one if they want. Personally I think Red Setter crazies are caused by their owners anyway.

  8. #218
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    228

    Default

    Haha Red Setters are INSANE!! Actually the only breed of dog where everyone I've met has been the same.... hyperactive!

  9. #219
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    4,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hyacinth View Post
    Meh

    Surely we will just get doggy cochlear implants.

    I heard on the radio that in the USA they used to have very draconian laws for epileptic humans - they were expected to be sterilized (desexed) and not allowed to get married!

    Horrible.

    I think owning a deaf dalmation - should be a choice - if someone wants to take on one - then who am I to say they can't. There's a couple of blind dogs at my local dog park and more than one deaf dog, and plenty more who seem to be deaf. And theres more than one crippled dog. The blind dogs - are both from puppy farms - so much for hybrid vigor.

    And lots of dogs go deaf when they get old.

    I don't think it's right to blanket say - no deaf dogs allowed.

    Staffies have a genetic tendancy to two different eye diseases - cataracts and PRA - but I don't think the breed should be snuffed out because of it. Red Setters have a reputation for being unmanageable - but I still think people should be able to choose one if they want. Personally I think Red Setter crazies are caused by their owners anyway.
    I still think that if a significant number of pups born need to be pts (because of a blanket club rule or because they just cannot find enough owners to take on special needs dogs) then something must be done. I do think that to stop breeding the breed altogether is probably taking it too far (maybe that wasn't clear in previous posts because I'm having a very bad week and got carried away a tad ). But more could be done to encourage breeders to eliminate the problem by crossing other breeds in for example. The club could play a vital role in this.

  10. #220
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    745

    Default

    I haven't mentioned a percentage.

    As to the editing of my posts you, many are edited because I type on a 10" laptop and it times out. I get sick of typing long posts then when I hit submit they go into space.

    So I go back and fix up typos etc and construct sentences better but I don't go back to a post days later and change things.

    I've spent my allotted time and money on phone calls overseas and interstate regarding deafness in Dalmatians because genetics always interests me.

    People can have their own thoughts and beliefs for their own reasons the same as I've got mine, I've found out what I wanted to know and am ready to step away from this argument and agree to disagree.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •