Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 238

Thread: The Ups & Downs Of Getting a Pup

  1. #121

    Default

    No it's not healthy... If it was it wouldn't be DEAF! Dogs are different to humans! They are not human and they do NOT learn the same way we do. Yes you can train them, NO it is NOT easy. There are NOT enough suitable homes, and you're thicker than I thought if you believe that.

    Are you saying Lala, that you WOULD take on a completely deaf puppy and be able to live with it?

  2. #122
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    2,388

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AngelanBatty View Post
    No it's not healthy... If it was it wouldn't be DEAF! Dogs are different to humans! They are not human and they do NOT learn the same way we do. Yes you can train them, NO it is NOT easy. There are NOT enough suitable homes, and you're thicker than I thought if you believe that.

    Are you saying Lala, that you WOULD take on a completely deaf puppy and be able to live with it?
    Absolutely I would. I wouldnt go out looking for a deaf dog specifically but if the dog I wanted was deaf, I wouldn't hesitate.

    You can think I am "thick" all you like. I have a different opinion to you and wouldnt it be boring if we al had the same.

    I will stick by my previous statements that if the breed is so genetically flawed, then it shouldnt be bred at all.

    I will go so far as to say that if we are going to use the fact that there are so many healthy dogs available for adoption then perhaps noone should be breeding at all until all the unwanted dogs are homed.

    This debate will just go round in circles. You think it acceptable to kill a dog because it is deaf...I dont. Simple as that.

  3. #123

    Default

    No. I think it is acceptable for a breeder to make a difficult decision in accordance with their breed club to put to sleep a puppy with an obvious genetic defect.

  4. #124
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    2,388

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AngelanBatty View Post
    No. I think it is acceptable for a breeder to make a difficult decision in accordance with their breed club to put to sleep a puppy with an obvious genetic defect.
    Tomayto, tomato

  5. #125
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    141

    Default

    First of all you need to have a clear understanding of the breed... without ever owning one you could never understand what its like to train one.
    secondly I can guarantee you out of 50 people maybe, just maybe 1 person will be successful at bringing up that pup to be a balanced dog till its 14 years are up.
    Unless you are rich and overly dedicated your chances of giving that pup a happy life are bucklys... I have a dalmatian.... I am very patient and Im telling you its bloody challenging at the moment it would be impossible if he was deaf... id need to spend so much money on a trainer who specialises in this field... its not worth it... animals have a job on this earth... your not going to say stop killing calves coz its sad..... pfft I like my veal nice and tender. Your not going to say keep a deformed dog because your heart tells you too.... if they were in the wild my guess is the mother would abandon it because its not healthy.

  6. #126
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    4,292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AngelanBatty View Post
    So you're happier with the happy, healthy puppies and dogs being pts so that this deaf one can have a home?

    Real nice.
    Wow, that is bordering on fascist. To say a healthy pup has more of a right to live than a disabled one. You might as well say that we should kill disabled babies and adopt non-disabled starving African orphans instead! Real nice.

    And no, I would not take on a deaf dog. Not now anyway. But IF there is someone who does want to take one on, why insist on putting them down?

    And Lala is right, EVERY dog that is bought from a registered breeder means one potential owner less for a shelter dog. It doesn't just apply to the deaf ones. So by your argument, it is the breeders who are responsible for rescue dogs being put down.

    Quote Originally Posted by Misschief View Post
    Your not going to say keep a deformed dog because your heart tells you too.... if they were in the wild my guess is the mother would abandon it because its not healthy.
    No, we are saying stop purposely breeding pups of which 1/3 will be deaf! It is a cruel practice. If you're going to use the "in the wild" argument... In the wild this breed would have gone extinct ages ago.

  7. #127

    Default

    I still agree with Beloz and Lala .


    And at the very least why do they not cut down the number of breeders to only a handful until the DO find out what is going on. Having said that I still strongly disagree with PTS being a rule.
    GageDesign Pet Photography
    Site still in construction so will post link when it's finished.

  8. #128

    Default

    I'm quite saddened by that Choppa, given you're in rescue yourself.

    Frankly I think that the priorities need to change and those who come from the 'bleeding heart' side have no place in rescue ever.

    Rescue is not the point here. The COE of the Dalmation Club seems to be.

    Just let me get this straight, just in laymans terms.

    To you, a deaf puppy, if otherwise healthy should be adopted out to people who either don't have the experience or knowledge OR may not be able to cope with day to day life with a deaf dog, simply because the puppy is there and has been born?

    What about those born with debilitating genetic diseases? Those that are born missing limbs? What kind of quality of life will they have?

    Why sentence a puppy to a life of never knowing if there's something dangerous? Who will be hit by a car because it can't hear them? Who may (and in a lot of cases with dallies) respond with aggression when startled as a first response? Sentence that dog to a life of being scared out of it's wits every time something changes around it that it doesn't see changing?

    If you think that's a good life for a dog, well good on you, but I'll have no part in it.

    Choppa - it may be for different reasons, but what you have stated about stopping breeding Dallies is the same thing as what is happening to Pits.... Have you thought about that for even a second?

    I'll leave my thoughts on disabled children and adoption out of it because this is about DOGS not PEOPLE - two different things! Though using the 'wild' arguement there wouldn't be disabled people - it's different when a person is injured, but born disabled, it wouldn't happen. How many disabled people have you seen on doco's about the tribes living in remote areas? They aren't there. I wonder why that is......

    Call me whatever you want Beloz, I think your stance is niave and immature and unrealistic. You won't take on the dog yourself but you believe it should still live so someone can? That's just ridiculous. Plus while you're saying 'stop breeding the breed because one third may be born deaf' you're also saying 'ooh save the deaf ones' make up your mind!

    BTW: In the wild there aren't so much breeds as varieties and they all revert to a generic type over time.

    & Lala, I know you just sit and stir because you have nothing better to do with your time, but what you are suggesting is nothing even close to what I believe.

  9. #129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beloz View Post
    You can try to rationalise this rule as much as you want and accuse the ones opposed to it (and shocked by it) of being bleeding heart softies, but the whole situation is just wrong in my opinion. And as one of the few members who doesn't get into the whole "only registered breeders should be allowed to breed dogs" ideology, this kind of thing just strengthens my view on this. Thank god I have a bitsa.
    Just saw this. I believe that only those with ethics should be able to breed. At this point BYB's are a major part of the overflow issue with our pounds and shelters. The shelters aren't overrun with purebreds... So who's doing the right thing for the dogs?

    I have a bitsa too remember??? Not sure what that has to do with anything....

  10. #130
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    4,292

    Default

    You clearly haven't read my comments properly. I have never suggested that deaf pups should be adopted out to just anyone. But there are plenty of examples of deaf dogs living full lives if they end up with the right owner. Clearly you are not going to find suitable owners for that many deaf pups, which is why they should stop breeding them. Oh no, that's right, these are the registered breeders who only ever have the best interest of the dogs on mind. Much more ethical to keep breeding pups who are unlikely to find a suitable owner than those evil BYBs.

    I just don't have a hierarchy of dogs based on which are more deserving of adoption. I've seen plenty of dogs with 3 legs who are perfectly happy too. A dog doesn't know it's disabled or different. If they have their needs meet, they will be happy.

    And your comment aimed at Lala is out of line.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •