Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 70

Thread: Agression or Normal Behaviour?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shelby-001 View Post
    No sorry, simply knowing not to approach a dog that is strange to you, is FAR from being dog savvy. That's just a little basic common sense.
    Not approaching a dog on the side of the road is common sense!

    Approaching a dog in a home where you have been invited, where you assume your best interest and well being is upheld by the person who invited you in.


    Completely different story!!

    Point of the matter the OP now has knowledge that her dog, as she stated had never shows aggression before, can get a bad temper when people are a bit full on before she gets to know them.

    Now It is her job to warn people, correct the behavior in her dog and make sure that her home is a safe enviroment for who ever is in it human or animal!
    Rubylisious


  2. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rural NSW
    Posts
    5,967

    Default

    At my home people are warned that mine can take some time to warm up to them and to ignore them until they come to them. I enforce this as I have no wish to have a fear aggression incident.
    It has never happened but who knows, it could.

    If children are here, my dogs are in the pen as they really have no experience much of them and there is no way I will take the chance.

    IMo it is up to every dog owner to clue guests in about how to treat their dogs on initial contact and if it seems there may be a problem then the dog is the one to be removed from the situation so you can enjoy your guest's company.

    Any posts made under the name of Di_dee1 one can be used by anyone as I do not give a rats.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    12,581

    Default

    One would assume, that in a friend's home, you would be reasonably safe patting a dog.
    Why? Especially when the friend had just run through the rules and you'd ignored them and cut off all the dog's flight options so it only had one choice left - fight.

    Most of my friends will let me know in advance how to deal with their pets before I get in there. If I decide I know better and chase the dog into the corner I deserve what I get.

    If I have someone over I don't expect to be dog savvy like a tradie, I keep the dog on lead or confined.

  4. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog_Lover View Post
    Not approaching a dog on the side of the road is common sense!

    Approaching a dog in a home where you have been invited, where you assume your best interest and well being is upheld by the person who invited you in.


    Completely different story!!

    Point of the matter the OP now has knowledge that her dog, as she stated had never shows aggression before, can get a bad temper when people are a bit full on before she gets to know them.

    Now It is her job to warn people, correct the behavior in her dog and make sure that her home is a safe enviroment for who ever is in it human or animal!
    Well we are going to have to disagree because I do not see how just because you are invited into someone's home, that there is an automatic invitation to pat their dog, nor an assumption that it is ok to do so. Let alone rush at it and back it into a corner with no escape route.

    My understanding is that the OP hadn't warned the visitors in anyway to the dogs possible issues with being patted by strangers with no time to get to know them, BUT I still don't see why they would 'rush at the dog and put their hands in it's face'. To me that is asking for trouble.

    We were always brought up that you don't touch strange dogs, regardless of who owns them or the environment you encounter them in, without permission from the owner first. No my family have NEVER owned dogs so I would not call them dog savvy people. The first dog to be brought into our family was mine.

    I don't care what the situation, you don't pat a dog without permission.
    Cheers Aleesha
    Lilly, OH & Boof ..... the 3 things that make life tick!

    All posts made under the name of "Shelby-001" are copywritten and may not be used in any publication or media without my prior written consent!

  5. #25
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,561

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shelby-001 View Post
    No sorry, simply knowing not to approach a dog that is strange to you, is FAR from being dog savvy. That's just a little basic common sense.
    Your argument is invalid. Dogs are domesticated. Unless you had reason to expect that canines are an aggressive animal, then it is not "basic common sense". From day dot we teach little humans that puppies and dogs are lovely. We say things like "Aww, look at that cute widdle puppy" "look at that funny doggy" and other such things. We do not usually say "don't touch or it might bite your face off!" unless we want to instill some morbid fear into a child.

    Yes, IF you are educated, you would educate your child. The fact is, most aren't and the education we usually receive is not to appraoch a 'strange dog' in case it is aggressive. We are not taught, as a general rule and braodly acorss the community, that no dog should be patted unless you know it is not aggressive and how to handle it.

    Debating the definitive definition of 'dog savvy' is purely wasted because it is subjective. YOUR personal opinion may be that a dog savvy person would know more than not to approcah a dog, I might consdier a dog savvy person to be someone who understands the canine pyschology.
    Last edited by Anne; 06-21-2011 at 06:55 PM.
    A pessimist sees the glass as half empty;
    An optimist sees the glass as half full;
    A realist just finishes the damn thing and refills it.

  6. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    Umm ok, whatever. Your argument is invalid regardless of your protestations.
    That's hilarious, you disagree so therefor it's invalid. If you feel it's ok to pat a friends dog just because you are allowed in their house that's fine, I don't however think it's ok. But just because you disagree doesn't make it invalid.

    We all have different expectations of society and accepted behaviour.
    Cheers Aleesha
    Lilly, OH & Boof ..... the 3 things that make life tick!

    All posts made under the name of "Shelby-001" are copywritten and may not be used in any publication or media without my prior written consent!

  7. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    The fact is, most aren't and the education we usually receive is not to appraoch a 'strange dog' in case it is aggressive. We are not taught, as a general rule and braodly acorss the community, that no dog should be patted unless you know it is not aggressive and how to handle it.
    .
    The dog was 'strange' to them. They had never met it before.

    I did say in my entire post that 'strange' fogs shouldn't be patted. Just as you said in yours. Just because the dog belongs to a friend doesn't automatically make it 'known' as opposed to strange so the point is mute.
    Last edited by Shelby-001; 06-21-2011 at 07:05 PM.
    Cheers Aleesha
    Lilly, OH & Boof ..... the 3 things that make life tick!

    All posts made under the name of "Shelby-001" are copywritten and may not be used in any publication or media without my prior written consent!

  8. #28
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,561

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hyacinth View Post
    Why? Especially when the friend had just run through the rules and you'd ignored them and cut off all the dog's flight options so it only had one choice left - fight.

    Most of my friends will let me know in advance how to deal with their pets before I get in there. If I decide I know better and chase the dog into the corner I deserve what I get.

    If I have someone over I don't expect to be dog savvy like a tradie, I keep the dog on lead or confined.
    Unless I read the OP incorrectly, they did not give any warning. The guests moved towards the dog in an attempt to pat it before a warning was given.

    You have also taken my statement out of context. I was comparing a family dog at a friends house, where no warning had been given and there was no prior knowledge of the dog being aggressive, to a strange dog on the street.

    I have friends from all walks of life. Some have never owned a dog and nor do they have any inclination to own one. Even if I said to them "don't approach the dogs too quickly or they will bite" I would not allow them to be in a situation to be bitten. I understand that my personal dealings with dogs have been over many, many years and as I am a dog lover I enthusiastically learn and am educated about 'all things dog'. Very few people are like this across the generalised popualtion.
    Last edited by Anne; 06-21-2011 at 07:10 PM.
    A pessimist sees the glass as half empty;
    An optimist sees the glass as half full;
    A realist just finishes the damn thing and refills it.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,561

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shelby-001 View Post
    That's hilarious, you disagree so therefor it's invalid. If you feel it's ok to pat a friends dog just because you are allowed in their house that's fine, I don't however think it's ok. But just because you disagree doesn't make it invalid.

    We all have different expectations of society and accepted behaviour.
    If you are talking logic, which you personally brought into the equation, then your argument is invalid. It has nothing to do with me agreeing or not agreeing with the point.
    A pessimist sees the glass as half empty;
    An optimist sees the glass as half full;
    A realist just finishes the damn thing and refills it.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,561

    Default

    Added to the debate, the dog is a pup. Most people do not think of pups as aggressive either.

    A 5 month old puppy. Just how many people expect a puppy to become aggressive (again for reasons I cited above "wook at that cute widdle puppy").
    A pessimist sees the glass as half empty;
    An optimist sees the glass as half full;
    A realist just finishes the damn thing and refills it.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •