Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 41

Thread: When is Best to Desex Lucy?

  1. #21

    Default

    It is easier to desex & safer but it is not the only way to avoid unwanted litters.
    I'm sure your vets mean well Myf but bitching about clinints is not helpful at all.
    There are health reason not to desex & sometime work drive sufferes also & some(by far not all) owners are quiet able to keep undesexed dogs apart.
    Male dogs will not bust into your house but they will your yard & you can not turn your back for a moment.
    I would in your case recomend 6mth desex just as it is far easier for you & your not going to breed or show her anyways.
    Dogs make everyday life enjoyable...........

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Horsham, Victoria
    Posts
    13

    Default

    OK thanks everyone...she will be 6 months at the end of April so I guess that will be when she gets her op!! I couldnt bear to think of a big dog getting to her...she is so small so its just not worth the risk.

    I read the UQ Vet report regarding the benefits and risks...so I will take that information onboard also.

  3. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aussiemyf7 View Post
    If you really care for her, you will get her desexed.
    Oh, so I don't care about my dogs then? How insulting.

    Desexing is not a symbol of responsibility or care.


    When my bitches are in season, they are not allowed outside unsupervised and not allowed to hang out with my entire dog. It's not a big deal - they rarely do these two things anyway.

  4. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Leema View Post
    Oh, so I don't care about my dogs then? How insulting.

    Desexing is not a symbol of responsibility or care.


    When my bitches are in season, they are not allowed outside unsupervised and not allowed to hang out with my entire dog. It's not a big deal - they rarely do these two things anyway.
    I have to agree.
    Not letting your dog not have unwanted litters is the goal & however it's managed is up to the owner.
    There is other management plans than desexing. I'm not against desexing & think the majoritity of dog owners should opt for this choice but this dosn't mean I think all undesexed dogs are not cared for as that simply is not true.
    Dogs make everyday life enjoyable...........

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Cairns, Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    25

    Default

    The best time to desex most female dogs is prior to 6 months of age, prior to their first season.
    Allowing your dog to come on heat once or twice greatly increases the risk of mammary cancer and other "female" problems such as uterine infections, ovarian cancer etc.
    The idea of allowing dogs to come on heat or have pups is a bit of an old wives tale and ignores the risk of mammary cancer.
    Bitches desexed before their first heat have around 1% incidence of mammary cancer
    Bitches desexed before their second heat have around 7% incidence of mammary cancer
    Bitches desexed after their second heat have around 25% incidence of mammary cancer

    This is a huge difference.
    There are lots of other benefits to desexing also:
    Desexed dogs are less likely to roam (and thus get into fights, hit by cars, get lost or stolen), they don't suffer the anxiety that often comes with frustrated repoduction drives, they don't make a mess around the house, they don't attract male dogs (who will drive you crazy and pee on your fence (or jump it).
    You also get cheaper registration with the council.
    And of course the main thing: no unwanted pups! Can't tell you how many people bring their dogs in for desexing AFTER the first unwanted litter! With thousands of unwanted puppies being euthanased annually in Australia, controlling the reproduction of your pet is an important responsibility

  6. #26

    Default

    CairnsVet, you've told us about the health benefits of early desexing. Are you going to also tell us about the higher risks of some cancers in some breeds when they are desexed too young?

  7. #27
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    4,241

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crazydog View Post
    It is easier to desex & safer but it is not the only way to avoid unwanted litters.
    I'm sure your vets mean well Myf but bitching about clinints is not helpful at all.There are health reason not to desex & sometime work drive sufferes also & some(by far not all) owners are quiet able to keep undesexed dogs apart.
    Male dogs will not bust into your house but they will your yard & you can not turn your back for a moment.
    I would in your case recomend 6mth desex just as it is far easier for you & your not going to breed or show her anyways.
    Not just the vets I work with CD....

    Leema, more dogs are bred by accident then on purpose...just saying....
    Education not Legislation

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    2,388

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Leema View Post
    Oh, so I don't care about my dogs then? How insulting.

    Desexing is not a symbol of responsibility or care.


    When my bitches are in season, they are not allowed outside unsupervised and not allowed to hang out with my entire dog. It's not a big deal - they rarely do these two things anyway.
    Agree, not desexing doesnt automatically make you an irresponsible breeder.

    My large x bred male has not been desexed and likely never will be (he is coming up 6).

    He can't get off the property. he can't fit through any little gaps and he can't jump very high. And after doing a bit of "light" reading, we decided it wasn't overly beneficial to his health to be desexed (though I always desex my bitches).

    I am not what I would call an irresponsible owner. Sure I probably don't do everything the way it should be but my dogs are happy and healthy and not used as breeding machines so I reckon that makes anyone pretty responsible.

  9. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aussiemyf7 View Post
    Not just the vets I work with CD....

    Leema, more dogs are bred by accident then on purpose...just saying....
    Oh I know & I just find it so unhelpful & again looking at things in a black & white way.
    I have stated several times that 6mths would be ideal in this dogs case & always advise people to desex & desex my own dogs too.
    There is just more to it than some like to state.
    Dogs make everyday life enjoyable...........

  10. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CairnsVet View Post
    The best time to desex most female dogs is prior to 6 months of age, prior to their first season.
    Allowing your dog to come on heat once or twice greatly increases the risk of mammary cancer and other "female" problems such as uterine infections, ovarian cancer etc.
    The idea of allowing dogs to come on heat or have pups is a bit of an old wives tale and ignores the risk of mammary cancer.
    Bitches desexed before their first heat have around 1% incidence of mammary cancer
    Bitches desexed before their second heat have around 7% incidence of mammary cancer
    Bitches desexed after their second heat have around 25% incidence of mammary cancer

    This is a huge difference.
    There are lots of other benefits to desexing also:
    Desexed dogs are less likely to roam (and thus get into fights, hit by cars, get lost or stolen), they don't suffer the anxiety that often comes with frustrated repoduction drives, they don't make a mess around the house, they don't attract male dogs (who will drive you crazy and pee on your fence (or jump it).
    You also get cheaper registration with the council.
    And of course the main thing: no unwanted pups! Can't tell you how many people bring their dogs in for desexing AFTER the first unwanted litter! With thousands of unwanted puppies being euthanased annually in Australia, controlling the reproduction of your pet is an important responsibility
    Are you not missing a few facts?
    I agree that the majority of dogs should be desexed around 6mths but this is not true for all dogs is it?
    Dogs make everyday life enjoyable...........

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •