Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 59

Thread: Advice Needed Please - Poppy's Got the Run's Again!

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    Seems to me you are able to say whatever you want at any given time, but if others do it is deemed as "unconstructive." I have personally never found your comments to be constructive, but not once had I actually posted that thought. That would be blatently rude IMO.

    Now to answer your question - You know you may have done a silly thing. You stated so yourself. From your wording you have given her quite a few treats, so it is possible this bout is a reaction to that. But it is also possible there could be another underlying problem here. Best to get her thoroughly examined just in case, to rule out anything other than her diet.

  2. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate View Post
    Seems to me you are able to say whatever you want at any given time, but if others do it is deemed as "unconstructive." I have personally never found your comments to be constructive, but not once had I actually posted that thought. That would be blatently rude IMO.

    Now to answer your question - You know you may have done a silly thing. You stated so yourself. From your wording you have given her quite a few treats, so it is possible this bout is a reaction to that. But it is also possible there could be another underlying problem here. Best to get her thoroughly examined just in case, to rule out anything other than her diet.
    Wow, I didnt realise you had such an issue with me!

    Thanks for answering my question tho.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    1,822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate View Post
    But it is also possible there could be another underlying problem here. Best to get her thoroughly examined just in case, to rule out anything other than her diet.
    I agree with this entirely. Amy, DA went through a lot of problems recently that were similar in nature to Poppy's and after what wound up happening it is a very wise idea to take this on board

    It is possible she gets the runs from stress. How much did you give her roughly?

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angela's Gone Batty View Post
    I agree with this entirely. Amy, DA went through a lot of problems recently that were similar in nature to Poppy's and after what wound up happening it is a very wise idea to take this on board

    It is possible she gets the runs from stress.
    How much did you give her roughly?
    Charlie often gets the runs (or at least does a really messy / runny poo) when he's super excited....

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    Stress is often the cause. Dead right Angela. Like when a pupopy goes to it's new home, the diet may be exactly identical to what it was on, the water at their new home may be the same, but the ppl, environment isn't, so they get stressed. That's why puppies/dogs often have loose motions in the first day or so of being re-homed.

    It may not be the treats, it may be the hair-dryer. Or it may be a combination of both.
    That would be my first assumption.
    But there are also others things like recurring gastroenteritis, IBS, or the new one we have learnt about - intusussection.
    SO BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY. Especially when they are so young like Poppy still is.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    1,822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate View Post
    Stress is often the cause. Dead right Angela. Like when a pupopy goes to it's new home, the diet may be exactly identical to what it was on, the water at their new home may be the same, but the ppl, environment isn't, so they get stressed. That's why puppies/dogs often have loose motions in the first day or so of being re-homed.

    It may not be the treats, it may be the hair-dryer. Or it may be a combination of both.
    That would be my first assumption.
    But there are also others things like recurring gastroenteritis, IBS, or the new one we have learnt about - intusussection.
    SO BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY. Especially when they are so young like Poppy still is.
    You said it better than I did!! Thank you, this is exactly what I was trying to get across

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Near Newcastle, NSW
    Posts
    4,215

    Default

    Colitis is another one that can give them diarrhoea...Sumo had it.

    Look...I would still see a vet and discuss her ongoing diarrhoea issues...just to be on the safe side

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cleasanta View Post
    Colitis is another one that can give them diarrhoea...Sumo had it.

    Look...I would still see a vet and discuss her ongoing diarrhoea issues...just to be on the safe side
    Oh poor Sumo. I was diagnosed with colitis approx 2-3 years ago. A slight change of diet has kept it at bay ever since, thank goodness. So good to see Sumo doesn't have recurring flare-ups of it, Cleas.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    12,583

    Default

    I talked to a lab owner who is taking her dog, who is fed all homemade food the same as all the other labs in the household (and there's quite a few), to the vet because after being great, all of a sudden she's got the vomits and diarrhea. There's no waiting around. She had problems with a previous lab, it had multiple bowel cancers and it ended up PTS. So she's really really careful now to get a real diagnosis, not just an "it's probably, fast then special diet then see how you go".

    But she can afford to see multiple vets until she gets a certain diagnosis.

    What I do when Frosty gets the runs from doing something I know is bad, like eating compost or grass clippings...

    Fast for a day 12 to 24 hours, ie if there is runny poo in the morning - fast until the following morning. That means there is water if she wants it, I don't force it down her throat, and no food at all. No treats, no bread, no pigs ear, no rawhide. If she eats grass I let her cos that's what dogs do to fix upset tummies but otherwise, nothing.

    The next morning, if she's still perky and acting hungry, she gets a serve of boiled rice, as much as she will eat in 5 minutes but not more than 250ml (maybe half a cup). And maybe the same again for lunch - though I don't normally feed her lunch, and maybe again for dinner. If she's completely not interested in food on this second day or she does more runny poo or vomits, then I call the vet. I also feel her stomach and throat to check for if she's in pain (she'd bark, scream or try to bite me), and feel for lumps that aren't usual. When I give her pats, I rub her tummy and check all over so I'd know if she got a lump or hard spot that wasn't usually like that.

    Anyway - if we make it through a whole day on boiled rice with no runny poo, I start adding a bit of boiled chicken. Maybe 1/4 cup the first time. Maybe less.

    I wouldn't put the dry food back into the diet for a few days or at least until I'd seen her do some normal poos, and then I'd add it gradually a little bit more each meal until it was normal serves and cut back to two meals a day, so long as the poos stayed normal.

    Dry food dog kibble is high in fat. I can feel the grease from Frosty's in my hands when I load it into the treat ball. Anything with a lot of oil or fat is not good for an upset tummy for dog or human. I once gave Frosty a pigs ear, thinking all the fat was cooked out of it, but I was wrong and it made the problem worse.

    And when you change food, it's best to start a little bit at a time, my dog food packets recommend changing 1/4 at a time. Eg 2/3 measure rice and 1/3 of chicken goes to a 3/4 of that mixed and 1/4 kibble. then half kibble half (1 part chicken to 2 parts rice mix), then 3/4 kibble to 1/4 chicken/rice.

    If the dog is not behaving like her normal self but is doing normal poos, I might also call the vet. Ie poo has to be normal and dog has to be happy and energetic or call the vet.

    I think maybe you switched to all kibble too soon.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,032

    Default

    At the kennels we would do similar if a dog regularly had the runs. Or on previous visits always got the runs.

    They would be on a minced chicken and boiled rice diet.

    The mince would be microwaved in water and then rinsed thru a strainer and the rice added.

    Nothing else would be given to them.

    Some dogs would get the runs even on their own food, it's a combination of excitement, change in environment, stress, or just a sensory overload.

    Some old poodles that came in were immediately put onto that diet and their owners knew that but they had no where else to go because they needed medication etc, were partially blind and/or deaf etc. Family and friends were just not up to minding these type of dogs.

    I find that most puppies tummies settle about 9 months of age when teething has settled.

    But if at any time you ever feel it is more the only person who can properly diagnose the problem is a good Vet.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •