Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 47

Thread: When Did You Feel Comfortable Letting Your Puppy Off the Lead?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sydney Northern Beaches
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Dexter is now close to 7months old so i just reckon we will probably have a fair bit of trouble.
    Agreed with Mouseandchicken the earlier to let them off the lead the better for the reason that they will most likely stay close to you as they will be to scared to wonder off. Dexter is a nutter with other dogs around just loves jumping around and carrying on and i know if i let him off at the dog park. See you later Dexter haha

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mellac View Post
    Dexter is now close to 7months old so i just reckon we will probably have a fair bit of trouble.
    Agreed with Mouseandchicken the earlier to let them off the lead the better for the reason that they will most likely stay close to you as they will be to scared to wonder off. Dexter is a nutter with other dogs around just loves jumping around and carrying on and i know if i let him off at the dog park. See you later Dexter haha
    Mellac, the puppy that is too scared to wander off is definately the puppy I wouldn't buy.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Tasmania, AUS
    Posts
    234

    Default

    i havnt taken my new pup out anywhere yet but she hasnt worn the lead in about 5 days..since we got her because we're on property she walks around the back yard area and inside and of an evening runs around me and sam on walks up the back...

    i should really do some training because she hates the lead... jumps a round like shes being taysered ! .... but shes not really learning anything at the moment, cant concentrate long enough!
    ..................

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sydney Northern Beaches
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Well maybe not scared but i guess when they are younger they will want to know your still around so they will stay close by. But i think when they are older they are more independent?

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,032

    Default

    Yes not scared but still into that more the merrier feeling coming straight from the litter.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    1,822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mellac View Post
    Well maybe not scared but i guess when they are younger they will want to know your still around so they will stay close by. But i think when they are older they are more independent?
    Nope! My puppy has always been very confident and outgoing, even during his fear periods he only finds things scary for a second or so, then he's in there checking it out.

    Our first walk I had him on a 9ft long line... he was at the end of it exploring the entire time and even made friends with a duck. He would look back and make sure I was there but I have no doubt that he would have checked everything out. His first walk wasn't for a week after we brought him home as I wanted him used to us being there.

    Even exploring the back yard for the first time he checked out the entire yard before having a chase of a butterfly and making his own way indoors to his bed.

    So saying take your puppy to a park and let it off lead straight away isn't always the best advice, it does depend on your puppy and your confidence with said puppy.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,032

    Default

    I suppose this gets back to me having to be more precise.

    Wander off too far as in able to be called back with crouching down and calling to puppy.

    I've never had a scared puppy and I've never had one at 8 weeks that would take off either if you keep walking in the other direction.

    Guess I've been lucky with all my puppies.

  8. #28

    Default

    I still don't feel comfortable taking Keeda off the lead unless we are at a dog beach or at a place where there are no other dogs. She gets too excited and runs to other dogs to play. At the dog beach we visit she seems to be all awed by the number of other dogs and actually acts a little more subdued, so her manners are much better when she's in a huge group of dogs as opposed to when she spots one on the other side of the park. When we play at the park I have a several-metre long lead for her so that we can run around and play without getting into any trouble .

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashaari View Post
    thats why you do the recall training. It id the first thing I do with ALL my pups If you need some help let me know.
    I was wondering if you have any advice on the recall training, because i would like to let Jade off but i am too scared she will not come back, she doesn't come to me when i call her in the backyard unless i have a treat for her!

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Lala Land!!!
    Posts
    1,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by taraboombara View Post
    I was wondering if you have any advice on the recall training, because i would like to let Jade off but i am too scared she will not come back, she doesn't come to me when i call her in the backyard unless i have a treat for her!
    Hey
    Did you read the rest of the thread?
    Did I explain how to do it in the rest of the thread?
    I am not sure lol
    If you would like a more indepth explaination on recall let me know

    Breeding, Showing, Training and general crazy making!!!
    If you seek understanding listen to the music, not the song.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •