Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 45

Thread: Poppy's Sick? Or is She?

  1. #1

    Default Poppy's Sick? Or is She?

    As most people know Miss Poppy went to AGB's for two nights this weekend whilst OH and I went away to the coast.

    She had a BALL at AGB's with Batty and Rosie. She was so cheeky, stealing Batty's food, trying to swim in her food and the big water bowl!

    Then last night had soft poo and early this morning a vomit. Since then she hasn't vomitted but has refused food and drinking her water. AGB spent all last night awake with her making sure she was okay and spent hours syringing her water which I am so grateful for! I hate to think what could of happened if we had left Poppy at a Kennel!

    Anyway, we picked Poppy up at around 11am. Since then I have been syringing her water every half hour. She has had two big wee's and a tiny squirt of runny poo. She is sleeping and thats all she has done.

    Any ideas of what could be wrong with her? AGB and I have talked a lot over the weekend and today and agreed that perhaps it is just the combination of the stress of the new environment, people and dogs, coupled with the different food she stole from Batty.

    I think I'm going to go the the vet in the morning if she isn't better. Just to put my mind at rest. She had her final vac's last Thursday too so perhaps its a reaction to that?

    Just wanted some perspective I guess...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Hawkesbury, NSW
    Posts
    2,001

    Default

    FWIW I wouldn't be offering her any more food until tomorrow morning. If she's had a tummy upset then it's better to let her tum have a rest in case it's sore.

    I see you are syringing water, that's fine if she won't drink from her bowl. Just make sure you don't over do it!

    Check her gums, make sure they look nice and pink. Is she acting differently.

    If she's not more or less back to normal tomorrow, then I'd be making a vet appt for tomorrow afternoon. That way you have all day to observe her.

    I suspect she's just reacting to the stress of a new environment, but with pups you don't want to leave it too long before you see a vet.

    In My Home Dog Minding
    www.greyhoundrescue.com.au

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,032

    Default

    she sounds like a child that has just returned from her first party.

    do as greys said check gums, pinch skin on top of neck, let her rest.

    if you go to a good kennel the staff are very aware of your dogs condition, the have a duty of care.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GreysAreGreat View Post
    FWIW I wouldn't be offering her any more food until tomorrow morning. If she's had a tummy upset then it's better to let her tum have a rest in case it's sore.

    I see you are syringing water, that's fine if she won't drink from her bowl. Just make sure you don't over do it!

    Check her gums, make sure they look nice and pink. Is she acting differently.

    If she's not more or less back to normal tomorrow, then I'd be making a vet appt for tomorrow afternoon. That way you have all day to observe her.

    I suspect she's just reacting to the stress of a new environment, but with pups you don't want to leave it too long before you see a vet.
    Thanks. I'm going to offer her a litle bit of boiled rice. She hasn't had anything to eat since her dinner last night. And even then she threw that up early this morning. She ate a bit of boiled rice at AGB's but thats it for today.

    I've been giving her 12mls every half hour give or take the bits that sometimes dribble out her mouth.

    I won't be at home to watch her tomorrow but OH will. He is just as worried as I am so I know he will watch her very carefully! We have Puppy Preschool tomorrow night so I don't know about that.

    I said in the other thread that she wasn't following us anywhere...she just proved me wrong! She followed OH and I to the kitchen. Then followed me back to the lounge now shes just gone back to the kitchen as she can hear banging around in there whihc I think she would assume is her food being prepared!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Near Newcastle, NSW
    Posts
    4,215

    Default

    Amy...it is actually healthy to let your dog skip a couple of meals every once in a while...it clears out their stomach and gives it a break IYKWIM.

    I do it with mine...they have "light meal" days where they only get some natural yoghurt in the morning and then fasting at night.

    Honestly...I wouldn't give her any food. She is turning her head away, so obviously she is not interested

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cleasanta View Post
    Amy...it is actually healthy to let your dog skip a couple of meals every once in a while...it clears out their stomach and gives it a break IYKWIM.

    I do it with mine...they have "light meal" days where they only get some natural yoghurt in the morning and then fasting at night.

    Honestly...I wouldn't give her any food. She is turning her head away, so obviously she is not interested
    Thanks for the advice! I guess I'm just worried as she has lost weight, its visually obvious, and hasn't kept a meal down for 24 hours now. I would just feel better offering her something plain and bland than nothing at all.

    She has been sitting in the kitchen watching OH cook as if to say "Where's mine?"

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rural NSW
    Posts
    5,967

    Default

    As with sick kids, if they show interest then offer food, a fast will not kill them. Is she drinking or are you just syringing to make sure?

    Any posts made under the name of Di_dee1 one can be used by anyone as I do not give a rats.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Di_dee1 View Post
    As with sick kids, if they show interest then offer food, a fast will not kill them. Is she drinking or are you just syringing to make sure?
    She had a tiny lick from her water bowl a few hours ago. Thats it. So really shes not drinking hance the syringing. She was refusing to drink for AGB too and she started the syringing so I know she is definately well hydrated.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    Myf, can you help me out here?

    Please stop syringing water into her Amy!!! Stop doing that to ensure she doesn't vomit any further. It is a catch 22 situation that many ppl aren't aware of. Ppl see their dog is ill, is not eating or drinking, so decide to start syringing and forcing copious amounts of water down the dog's throat. Often, this causes vomiting in itself.

    Firstly, check and see if Poppy is actually dehydrated at all. If she appears to be, fine, get a tiny amount of water or electrolytes into her regualrly, but don't overdo it.

    Perhaps this is something you might want to discuss with your vet at greater length when next you visit. If Poppy is not obviously improving tomorrow morning, talk to your vet and have her checked out.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate View Post
    Myf, can you help me out here?

    Please stop syringing water into her Amy!!! Stop doing that to ensure she doesn't vomit any further. It is a catch 22 situation that many ppl aren't aware of. Ppl see their dog is ill, is not eating or drinking, so decide to start syringing and forcing copious amounts of water down the dog's throat. Often, this causes vomiting in itself.

    Firstly, check and see if Poppy is actually dehydrated at all. If she appears to be, fine, get a tiny amount of water or electrolytes into her regualrly, but don't overdo it.

    Perhaps this is something you might want to discuss with your vet at greater length when next you visit. If Poppy is not obviously improving tomorrow morning, talk to your vet and have her checked out.
    She hasn't vomitted since 6.30am this morning. And Angela's Gone Batty & I have both been giving her little bits of water (12mls every half hour).

    I don't think she is dehydrated. The skin on the back fo her neck goes back quickly. But her nose is dry and her gums are pale.

    She had about two moutfuls of rice and refused the rest. Now she is sleeping again.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •