Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 45

Thread: Poppy's Sick? Or is She?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Hawkesbury, NSW
    Posts
    2,001

    Default

    okay amy - NO MORE FOOD! none, nada, zilch.

    Stop the water for at least a couple of hours, like DA said it might cause her to vomit, and you can OVERhydrate an animal.

    Just put her somewhere quiet, and let her sleep.

    When you say her gums are pale, what do you mean? If you press the gum gently does the fingerprint return quickly to pink? Just HOW pale are they?

    In My Home Dog Minding
    www.greyhoundrescue.com.au

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    1,822

    Default

    Timeline for Poppy's illness...

    Yesterday morning - had a sneaky moment, bolted into Batty's crate after finishing her meal (I turned my back for literally a second when Batty came out to let him out, turned around and she was in there wolfing down the remainder of Batty's breakfast - I'm not sure how much she got.

    Yesterday afternoon approx 3-3:30pm had a small bout of diarreah, 3 runny poops about 15-20mins apart. Gave .5ml of scourban and problem cleared up until around 9pm. Still playing and behaving normally.

    Still Yesterday - Ate as normal at 6:30pm, started vomiting around 1am, all stomach contents came up. Kept vomiting until only bile was coming up. Stomach seemed to settle. Stopped drinking out of her bowl and refused to drink. Still playing and behaving normally. Contacted Amy at 7:30ish pm to give update and let her know how she was going. Started syringing water at 12ml every half an hour from 10:30pm as she seemed a bit dehydrated, not much but enough. Perked up a bit, had a nap until 11:30pm, syringed water every half an hour from then until 4 this morning when I fell asleep next to her pen.

    Woke at 6am (thanks Rosie) continued syringing water. Peeing as normal, started vomiting water a little then stopped again. Two more small runny poops, then nothing. Refused breakfast. Running around playing with Batty and Rosie all morning.

    7:20am contacted Amy, let her know what was happening. Poppy still playing and pretending to be ill - alternating.

    Continued syringing water until Amy's arrival. She had a good long play this morning and was happy running around. Got great cuddles from hubby (the first dog he's lifted onto the bed and gave cuddles to!! )

    She was still alternating between playing with the others and playing the wounded soldier with me (cute but frustrating!) until about half an hour before she was picked up. She started to get lethargic at that point, and just wanted cuddles and sleep.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    1,822

    Default

    When Poppy arrived her gums were a pale pink. Looked normal IMO about the same shade as Rosies. Batty's are far pinker, always have been. When she left they were the same colour as when she arrived.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rural NSW
    Posts
    5,967

    Default

    MY advice is leave her ALONE and let her sleep and fight it off, a water bowl there if she wants it. Reassess tomorrow.

    Any posts made under the name of Di_dee1 one can be used by anyone as I do not give a rats.

  5. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GreysAreGreat View Post
    okay amy - NO MORE FOOD! none, nada, zilch.

    Stop the water for at least a couple of hours, like DA said it might cause her to vomit, and you can OVERhydrate an animal.

    Just put her somewhere quiet, and let her sleep.

    When you say her gums are pale, what do you mean? If you press the gum gently does the fingerprint return quickly to pink? Just HOW pale are they?
    Okay, food is gone. No more. Shes not interested anyway. She just went and sniffed at the bowl then walked away back to her bed and is sleeping.

    Her gums are pink, but like a pale pink. When I press on them (And I'm not sure if Im pressing on he right place - I'm pressing on the top part of her mouth when I lift it up, not the gum bit where the teeth are. Is this wrong?) there isn't a finger mark or anything. It all stays the same colour.

    Quote Originally Posted by Angela's Gone Batty View Post
    Timeline for Poppy's illness...

    Yesterday morning - had a sneaky moment, bolted into Batty's crate after finishing her meal (I turned my back for literally a second when Batty came out to let him out, turned around and she was in there wolfing down the remainder of Batty's breakfast - I'm not sure how much she got.

    Yesterday afternoon approx 3-3:30pm had a small bout of diarreah, 3 runny poops about 15-20mins apart. Gave .5ml of scourban and problem cleared up until around 9pm. Still playing and behaving normally.

    Still Yesterday - Ate as normal at 6:30pm, started vomiting around 1am, all stomach contents came up. Kept vomiting until only bile was coming up. Stomach seemed to settle. Stopped drinking out of her bowl and refused to drink. Still playing and behaving normally. Contacted Amy at 7:30ish pm to give update and let her know how she was going. Started syringing water at 12ml every half an hour from 10:30pm as she seemed a bit dehydrated, not much but enough. Perked up a bit, had a nap until 11:30pm, syringed water every half an hour from then until 4 this morning when I fell asleep next to her pen.

    Woke at 6am (thanks Rosie) continued syringing water. Peeing as normal, started vomiting water a little then stopped again. Two more small runny poops, then nothing. Refused breakfast. Running around playing with Batty and Rosie all morning.

    7:20am contacted Amy, let her know what was happening. Poppy still playing and pretending to be ill - alternating.

    Continued syringing water until Amy's arrival. She had a good long play this morning and was happy running around. Got great cuddles from hubby (the first dog he's lifted onto the bed and gave cuddles to!! )

    She was still alternating between playing with the others and playing the wounded soldier with me (cute but frustrating!) until about half an hour before she was picked up. She started to get lethargic at that point, and just wanted cuddles and sleep.
    Thanks for writing that all out. It will help me remember if I have to take her to the vet. I am so grateful for you and the time you spent up with her last night and looking after her! I know she was in the best care possible with you!

    Love that your OH put her up on the bed! She is so spoilt!

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    Stop the water please!

    Please elaborate Amy on Grey's question re the gums. Cheers.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    Lift her top lip. Press on the gum above where her teeth go in - just like ours. press, remove finger. How soon (as in how many seconds) does it take for the white indentation of your finger to return to the normal pinky colour?

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Hawkesbury, NSW
    Posts
    2,001

    Default

    Thanks Ange, I guess I'm wondering if they are NOW paler than they usually are? That is my biggest concern.

    Plus I'm wondering if she's now a bit overhydrated. After the vomitting it's understandable that there is a little dehyration, but if her skin is not showing signs now, then the syringing needs to be stopped.

    Her little system needs a break, that's my opinion.

    In My Home Dog Minding
    www.greyhoundrescue.com.au

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    Lift the skin on the back of her neck. How sonn does it drop back into place?

  10. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate View Post
    Stop the water please!

    Please elaborate Amy on Grey's question re the gums. Cheers.
    Ok, water is stopped. Will just put a water bowl in the ensuite with her tonight.

    I elaborated with the gums above.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •