Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Itchy Ears

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    Plucking ear hair out of the canal for some breeds is a very necessary requirement, Bernie. Not barbaric at all. It is usually done to allow air flow to circulate. When ears get clogged with too much internal hair that airflow cannot happen, causing various ailments within the canal to occur.

  2. #12

    Default

    What breed of dog do you have Jennifer?

    I have a CKCS X and she loves to play with her ears! At first I thought she was scratching them but I don't think she is. She lies on her back and uses her front legs to bring her ear around onto her face to she can chew on the end of it!

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate View Post
    Plucking ear hair out of the canal for some breeds is a very necessary requirement, Bernie. Not barbaric at all. It is usually done to allow air flow to circulate. When ears get clogged with too much internal hair that airflow cannot happen, causing various ailments within the canal to occur.
    out of curiosity... how do you pluck them? Belcro (Bella the velcro dog) has ear hair and i imagine its something i should do. do you just get the tweezers out or what?

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Near Newcastle, NSW
    Posts
    4,215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie & Bella's mum View Post
    out of curiosity... how do you pluck them? Belcro (Bella the velcro dog) has ear hair and i imagine its something i should do. do you just get the tweezers out or what?
    some people use tweezer...some people just use their fingers

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Hawkesbury, NSW
    Posts
    2,001

    Default

    You can buy special scissors/tweezers for plucking ear hairs, I have some but tbh I prefer to use my fingers, I find it's less painful for the dog. I will only pluck the ear hairs if there is a need to, otherwise I leave it be.

    In My Home Dog Minding
    www.greyhoundrescue.com.au

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    Like Grey's said C&B, there are special forceps that are designed to 'clamp' onto pieces of fur in the ears. problem with this is some people just try to clamp on and pull out HUGE amounts in one tug! Not pleasant. I agree that fingers are often the best. To do it bit by bit on a regular basis is the best way IMO to get the dog used to having it done.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Hawkesbury, NSW
    Posts
    2,001

    Default

    Thanks DA...Forceps! Couldn't think of the correct terminology for the life of me...must have been having a brain fart.

    In My Home Dog Minding
    www.greyhoundrescue.com.au

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GreysAreGreat View Post
    Thanks DA...Forceps! Couldn't think of the correct terminology for the life of me...must have been having a brain fart.
    Lol. Mine did that 10 years ago and never recovered!

  9. #19

    Default

    I'm afraid the vet did not elaborate on that he only said that her ears seemed irritated and that I should clean them every 2-3 weeks.
    I have a Bichon Frise, they are known for needing daily grooming. I use my fingers to pluck her ear hairs because I find that she doesn't like something long and cold going in her ears.
    As for the Malaseb shampoo, where are they available? as I might consider using that.
    I'm also going to change her dry food to make sure it's not allergies.

    Thank you for the suggestions & advice

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Numurkah
    Posts
    681

    Default

    Malaseb, usually Vets stock it or Pet Shope, approx. $20.00

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •