Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39

Thread: Puppy Poo's...

  1. #1

    Default Puppy Poo's...

    I know! What a great title for a thread!

    Batty (I think it was) said that puppies eating grass can be a sign of them having an upset tummy!

    Poppy just did a poo and it was a tiny bit more soft than her others and there was LOTS of grass in it! I looked ... again ... coz I'm still paranoid about worms!

    So what things can cause a puppy to have an upset tummy? Should I stop the puppy milk with her food?

    TIA!

  2. #2

    Default

    Hi sorry I can't comment on the diet, but if you're concerned she's sickly other things to look for is how easily she moves her bowels, how runny or extremely soft the poo is, very hard or broken into tiny pieces. These are also signs of a sick tummy.

    Yes, I would stop the puppy milk. Keep it as a treat.

    Hope this helps

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,032

    Default

    I had a dog that you could of sworn was a cow she ate that much grass, even cropped in the middle of the lawn. Lived until 15 and had a cast iron gut.

    Others will eat grass when they need to get rid of things they've eaten. The whippets - too many white grubs.

    The only milk substitute products I use are Biolac and by 8 weeks they are on water.

    Puppies eat all manner of things they shouldn't and some pups are more sensitive to it than others, while some can have cast iron guts.

    As for worming, if your dog had a bad dose of worms I would re-worm in two weeks time and make sure you pick up after the dog on a twice daily basis.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    1,822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amy86 View Post
    I know! What a great title for a thread!

    Batty (I think it was) said that puppies eating grass can be a sign of them having an upset tummy!

    Poppy just did a poo and it was a tiny bit more soft than her others and there was LOTS of grass in it! I looked ... again ... coz I'm still paranoid about worms!

    So what things can cause a puppy to have an upset tummy? Should I stop the puppy milk with her food?

    TIA!
    Being paranoid about worms isn't necessarily a bad thing. I am too so don't stress too much!

    There are a tonne of things that can upset a puppies tummy. Everything from human dairy foods to too much puppy milk, all the way to pork and some meats and other things they shouldn't get their mouths around.

    I gave you a link to an article about their poop in the other thread, it describes what to look for and how worrying each one can be.

    I cannot stress enough if you see blood in pups poop get her to the vet IMMEDIATELY! Blood in poop is one of the first signs of parvovirus and fast treatment is imperative for their chances of recovery.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuasForever View Post
    Hi sorry I can't comment on the diet, but if you're concerned she's sickly other things to look for is how easily she moves her bowels, how runny or extremely soft the poo is, very hard or broken into tiny pieces. These are also signs of a sick tummy.

    Yes, I would stop the puppy milk. Keep it as a treat.

    Hope this helps
    Maybe I will leave out the puppy milk for a few days and see how she goes. I didnt give her puppy milk on her dry food for the first 24 hours as I didnt have any. She has had two feeds of dry food with puppy milk and now the upset tummy...or softer poo.

    Quote Originally Posted by mouseandchicken View Post
    I had a dog that you could of sworn was a cow she ate that much grass, even cropped in the middle of the lawn. Lived until 15 and had a cast iron gut.

    Others will eat grass when they need to get rid of things they've eaten. The whippets - too many white grubs.

    The only milk substitute products I use are Biolac and by 8 weeks they are on water.

    Puppies eat all manner of things they shouldn't and some pups are more sensitive to it than others, while some can have cast iron guts.

    As for worming, if your dog had a bad dose of worms I would re-worm in two weeks time and make sure you pick up after the dog on a twice daily basis.
    Thanks, I will re-worm in two weeks. Can't hurt can it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Angela's Gone Batty View Post
    Being paranoid about worms isn't necessarily a bad thing. I am too so don't stress too much!

    There are a tonne of things that can upset a puppies tummy. Everything from human dairy foods to too much puppy milk, all the way to pork and some meats and other things they shouldn't get their mouths around.

    I gave you a link to an article about their poop in the other thread, it describes what to look for and how worrying each one can be.

    I cannot stress enough if you see blood in pups poop get her to the vet IMMEDIATELY! Blood in poop is one of the first signs of parvovirus and fast treatment is imperative for their chances of recovery.
    Thanks, just read the article. It mentioned that worms can cause runny poo's as well as a whole heap of other scary viruses! I have wormed her today so hopefully if she does have worms...which to me it sounds like she does they will be gone soon!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    767

    Default

    Some dogs just have sensitive tummies. My Charlie has a sensitive tummy - any sort of change to his food can give him the runs. We found that out pretty quickly when he was younger...

    My 2 eat grass as if it tastes like steak.

  7. #7

    Default

    Ok...another paranoid Mummy Q!

    Do puppies breathe faster when its hot?

    We have the AC on in the house but we are in the formal lounge that isnt AC'd and while its not stinking hot in here it is a little sticky. Well DF and I are feeling a little warm. Poppy is lying on the carpet with us, snoozing as she does, and she seems to be breathing quite fast but maybe its normal and I am just being paranoid!

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amy86 View Post
    Ok...another paranoid Mummy Q!

    Do puppies breathe faster when its hot?

    We have the AC on in the house but we are in the formal lounge that isnt AC'd and while its not stinking hot in here it is a little sticky. Well DF and I are feeling a little warm. Poppy is lying on the carpet with us, snoozing as she does, and she seems to be breathing quite fast but maybe its normal and I am just being paranoid!
    Dogs don't have sweat glands, that's why they pant.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuasForever View Post
    Dogs don't have sweat glands, that's why they pant.
    But shes not panting...shes sleeping...is that the same deal?

  10. #10

    Default

    Yeah. They sweat off their tongue so it's the same as if you get a bit sweaty in your pjs.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •